Author Topic: Your first FOT post  (Read 4394 times)

Sarah

Your first FOT post
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »
Mine, on 4/1/05:

Dr. Who is starting on the CBC this Sunday, and a friend of mine has volunteered to tape it for me, so I'm excited.  I fear it will be lousy--I especially worry that the special effects will be too slick, since I always thought their amateurishness was part of their charm--but I'm still hoping.  Any nonspoiling early reactions?  Was it terrible?  Can Christopher Eccleston ever hope to fill Tom Baker's shoes?

Posting for the first time in a thread about Doctor Who without a doubt played a pivotal role in how the old timers received me.  I could hardly have chosen better if I'd planned it. 

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Your first FOT post
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
How would I go about finding such a thing?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
If you go to your profile, and scroll down, there's a link to show all your posts.

Here's mine, defaming a group I could be confident would never read this:

Amish people hate Muslims?  Who knew?

Strangely, I have a family connection to the Amish, and am prepared to assert that most of them probably do hate Muslims. To make a big (yet accurate) generalization, the Amish are pretty racist.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
Sarah, you're a champion, but I think that I wasn't exposed to Dr. Who early enough to fall in love with it.

Dave, Profile -> Show Last Posts -> go to the last page.

My first post is boring as shit, like most of them, just me posting the Tony Soprano ringtone which I recently reposted and  which was again ignored.  I love it though.  Shortly thereafter I got in a flame war about me not liking Radiohead, which happens in real life, too! I can't imagine a single thing I like where it's Unacceptable that other people don't agree with me.  (Though my wife's anti-tomato jihad is a bit mystifying.)

I truly hope my board activity drops off when I get a real job.

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
I was twelve when I was introduced to the Doctor, then played by Jon Pertwee.  After that year, I didn't see the show till I was in my twenties, when it started airing on public television.  The first episode I saw then was the one where Jon Pertwee's doctor becomes Tom Baker.  And Mr. T. Baker remains my Doctor of choice.

The thing is, since both Jason and Bruce are Who fans, that my first post had to do with that show probably went a long way toward making them decide I was okay.  Which was lucky for me.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:58:55 PM »
From 10/8/2006:

If I had my druthers (which I do not), the "Win" and "Loss" grading structure would be done away with. There would only be "Win" "Shut Out" and "Perfect Game".  Even the most uneven installments of TBSOWFMU rout everything else on the airwaves. 

I was surprised when Tom declared last week's show an "L". I had been laughing uncontrollably through most of the night (starting from when Tom told me to challenge Weird Al to a "weird-off"). Tanks used as mobile weed pipes, Cramer callers ululating nonsensically ("BOO YIYIYIYIYIYI"), August falling asleep mid-call, Atlantic city explosions.  If that counts as an "L", then my sense of humor has thrown a rod.

I had some earlier posts, but I guess they were under a different moniker? I cannot recall.  But the above is the first one as "JonFromMaplewood."

I remember that in my *real* first FOT post, I suggested that "For the Benefit of Mister Kite" was the worst song ever, and no one agreed with me.  I argued it was the worst because in addition to being awful, it was created by the most popular band ever, thereby increasing its potential for widespread damage.

Total flame out.  And I have kept up a proud tradition of flame outs ever since.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »

What in the world is the Matt Besser project?

It's an "Internet TV" thing (for TBS I think) that Matt Besser from Upright Citizens Brigade is doing. They're collecting typical Myspace-type glamor shots for a montage at the beginning of one of the episodes.

I took some pictures but I'm not posting those because they're a little TOO MySpacey and scary. (much worse than my actual MySpace pics)

how anticlimactic. i thought for sure it was more interesting than that...
from the land of pleasant living

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
what a long strange trip

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »
"Oops I deleted my account and created a new one just to have my message board name on the chat. I guess I thought it would just delete my high scores but now they are all guest..."

betheboy

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
From December of last year:

New FOT, been listening for about 8 months I've been watching the chat and I'm finally jumping into the forum.  You guys are awesome and make a great show even more enjoyable.    Thanks to Tom and all of the FOT for bringing so much joy to my life.

That all still stands.  FOT's are the best.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
Sarah, you're a champion, but I think that I wasn't exposed to Dr. Who early enough to fall in love with it.

Dave, Profile -> Show Last Posts -> go to the last page.

My first post is boring as shit, like most of them, just me posting the Tony Soprano ringtone which I recently reposted and  which was again ignored.  I love it though.  Shortly thereafter I got in a flame war about me not liking Radiohead, which happens in real life, too! I can't imagine a single thing I like where it's Unacceptable that other people don't agree with me.  (Though my wife's anti-tomato jihad is a bit mystifying.)

I truly hope my board activity drops off when I get a real job.

Mr No,

Have you examined Pop Philosophy's Triptych of Radiohead episodes.  

Almost made me stray from your stated position.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »
Hello everyone! I've been a Best Show listener for almost one year and it has changed my life. No, I'm not kidding. I look forward to conversing with all of you.

My first post from a mere seven months ago. It leaves much to be desired. As do most of my posts.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

betheboy

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »
Hello everyone! I've been a Best Show listener for almost one year and it has changed my life. No, I'm not kidding. I look forward to conversing with all of you.

My first post from a mere seven months ago. It leaves much to be desired. As do most of my posts.

And you sir have changed our lives as well.

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
 Does anybody have a link to the first board?
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »
Back in April 2007 I had this to say:

I'm hopefully seeing This Is England in a few days - really looking forward to it. It's out on DVD in the UK soon, I believe.

Oh, and Dead Man's Shoes is absolutely fantastic, one of my 2004 favs - brutal, hypnotic, gritty, poetic. Highly recommended!

No regrets.