Author Topic: A Big Thank You To The FOT's  (Read 1922 times)

betheboy

A Big Thank You To The FOT's
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »
I just want to take a minute to say that Friends of Tom are the best people in the world.  This probably comes as no surprise to most of you but let me explain why I'm reminding you all of this.  Nearly a week ago I lost my father.  It was very sudden and it came as a great shock to me and my family.  I booked the first flight to New York to help with the arrangements and for the past several days I've been on Long Island taking care of things (along with my wife, fellow FOT Slackmistress) .  In the time since I've been here I've heard from dozens of FOT's and I can tell you that they have really helped me and my family get through a pretty rough time.  I was hoping to get to the record fair on Saturday to thank some of you personally but the business of getting my father's estate in order is preventing me from doing that so until I can personally shake all of your hands this message is my way of saying that your kindness and generosity is greatly appreciated.  On behalf of my family I thank you all.  

Last but not least, thanks to Tom Scharpling, without whom this wonderful community would not exist.  

UPDATE: My wife has convinced me to do the fun thing and head to the record fair on Saturday. I'll be checking in the official thread for details but I hope to see some of you there.

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: A Big Thank You To The FOT's
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss, BtheB. My condolences.

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss BtB. Thoughts and prayers with you and your loved ones.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
I am so sorry, BtB.  And I am glad to hear that the FOT community was a help to you at such a rough time.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
My condolences, BtB.  In some ways the Internet can be terribly depersonalizing, but you can also find yourself part of a community of genuinely decent people, too, and it sounds like the FOTs have come through in that regard.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »
You've experienced one of the most painful things life has to hand us. 
You and your family will be in my thoughts.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
Hey, BtB.  You and Slackmistress are definitely in my thoughts, too.  I hope you have fun at the record fair.
Doing it Mentos style.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »
He's always there, BtB. He won't be as vocal as you like, but you'll remember him vividly at the oddest moments. Here lately with me, every time I look down at my hands, they are Dad's hands.

God bless you and your family.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
So sorry to hear about your loss.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
You and slackmistress are two of the best people around. And you deserve nothing less than our utmost kindness and generosity.

Godspeed to you and yours, BtB.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »
Sorry for the loss of your father, BtB.  I will second what Dave from Knoxville said about memories. 

You and your family have my deepest sympathies. 

emma

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
Both you and your family are in my thoughts as well. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 02:09:28 AM »
Oh man, I totally missed this. BtB, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss! What can be said really, aside from you are in our thoughts.

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:42:25 AM »
BtheB- you already seemed like an awesome guy, and meeting you on Saturday only confirmed this!
You know if you ever need anything at all, we're here.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

betheboy

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
Thanks again everyone.  Life is slowly moving towards something resembling normalcy.  This is tough but I'm getting through it. My family and I appreciate the help, you guys are the best.