Author Topic: Mike's Picks  (Read 16624 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Mike's Picks
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 10:49:45 PM »
Mike, we've all heard how Tom felt about "The Wet and Wild Whites of West Virginia."  Would you care to present an opposing view here?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »
Mike, we've all heard how Tom felt about "The Wet and Wild Whites of West Virginia."  Would you care to present an opposing view here?

We had to pause it at one of the tree illustrations so we could get the geneology straight. What a beautiful family tree it is!

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 09:53:32 AM »

We had to pause it at one of the tree illustrations so we could get the geneology straight. What a beautiful family tree it is!
Bearing prunish fruit.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »

Easily the best movie I've seen in the last 5 years.
See God, Kai

Pidgeon

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 02:13:48 AM »
My favorite scene was easily the post-delivery one in the hospital. Incredible.

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
Mike, have you seen Attack The Gas Station?  I highly recommend it.
veni dixie vici

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
I have not. I will keep an eye out.
See God, Kai

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Anyone seen Dogtooth? Weird and disturbing and occasionally funny (particularly the dance scene). Fans of David Lynch will probably like it. Check it out!
See God, Kai

JimmyNoodles

• Policemans heel
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »
Anyone seen Dogtooth? Weird and disturbing and occasionally funny (particularly the dance scene). Fans of David Lynch will probably like it. Check it out!

I watched it recently.  I thought it was more disturbing than funny, but I thought it was a weirdly clever idea for a film.  The dance scene did make me laugh out loud, but I think that was the only part that did.  Maybe if I watched it again it would be more comical without the initial shock.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:43 PM »

I watched it recently.  I thought it was more disturbing than funny, but I thought it was a weirdly clever idea for a film.  The dance scene did make me laugh out loud, but I think that was the only part that did.  Maybe if I watched it again it would be more comical without the initial shock.

I just watched it and thought it was pretty great. I also agree it was more disturbing than funny. The moment for me when it became a comedy was when he starts beating people with vhs tapes and then delivers bad insults. I wonder if Philly Boy Roy also beats people with Rocky vhs tapes?

wood and iron

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:23 AM »
I liked Dogtooth but also felt like it wasn't nearly as deep as the filmmaker thinks it is.

Sarah

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
I just finished Dogtooth.  I found it more gripping than 127 Hours.  Only paused it once, and that because I had to let a cat in (I take those kinds of risks) and didn't want to miss a subtitle.  Of course, it reminded me of a Dogme 95 film.  Also, perhaps oddly, 120 Days of Sodom, because it is so stylized and formal and cool while depicting some pretty disturbing events. 

I especially liked that it managed to be in some ways very sweet.  And, as far as the cat scene goes, I've seen way worse.

You must be happy sad, Mike.*

*I mistakenly thought Dogtooth had won the best foreign film Oscar. 

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
as far as the cat scene goes, I've seen way worse.

I don't doubt that's true, but as an utterly prostrate cat worshiper, I don't think I can stand even a scene of which it could be said "I've seen worse."

There is no dramatic justification for even implying the human sufferizing of cats, ever.

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

wood and iron

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »

I don't doubt that's true, but as an utterly prostrate cat worshiper, I don't think I can stand even a scene of which it could be said "I've seen worse."

There is no dramatic justification for even implying the human sufferizing of cats, ever.

Listen, I know you love animals and all, this is a fucking movie. No actual cat got hurt. If it did, I'd be protesting with you. But as it stands, this is fiction. And if you watch the movie, there is a reason why the cat gets it.

Sarah

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:10 PM »
You must hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You must hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer.