Author Topic: Mike's Picks  (Read 16507 times)

Sarah

Re: Mike's Picks
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 11:58:22 PM »
Oh, and Drag Me to Hell!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
Sarah: Never seen either of those.

Woodandiron: You may have noticed I said "even implying." I'll stand by that.  There is no dramatic justification for it.  If you want to make the human character out to be an inhumane psychopathic shitheel, there are other ways.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
Sarah: Never seen either of those.

Woodandiron: You may have noticed I said "even implying." I'll stand by that.  There is no dramatic justification for it.  If you want to make the human character out to be an inhumane psychopathic shitheel, there are other ways.

And I'm just saying we can detest the actual thing without going so far as to detest fictional representations of the thing. Dogtooth can never be confused as to condone harming cats.

I mean, how many movies have you seen where a person has been killed? Should we stop making those movies as well?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
And I'm just saying we can detest the actual thing without going so far as to detest fictional representations of the thing.

I agree that this is possible.  It just isn't for me.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Sarah

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »
I wish I hadn't been aware there was some cat-directed violence before I watched the movie.  I was a little tense waiting for it and, from the comments here, was expecting something really horrible.  It turned out to be quite discreet, and, since it involved a fucked-up boy doing a fucked-up thing because of the fucked-up things that had been/were being done to him, there was nothing frivolous or exploitative about it. 

Do we think poor eldest daughter asphyxiates in the end, by the way?

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

Yeh I think that's the case. She gets so close to finding out about the real world but fails.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
I wish I hadn't been aware there was some cat-directed violence before I watched the movie.  I was a little tense waiting for it and, from the comments here, was expecting something really horrible.  It turned out to be quite discreet, and, since it involved a fucked-up boy doing a fucked-up thing because of the fucked-up things that had been/were being done to him, there was nothing frivolous or exploitative about it. 

probably.

I was waiting for the moment when she would get out and run off but in a way i think it's better that they never saw the real world, they're already way to fucked up to enter society
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
Wow. What a bunch of pessimists! I don't think you can say for sure that the elder suffocates. I mean, are trunks of cars completely airtight? I don't think so. On the other hand, if she's locked in, she could become dehydrated or starve to death.
See God, Kai

Sarah

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
I figured the idling engine would pump carbon monoxide into the trunk, so even if it isn't air-tight, poor Bruce is a goner.

Which reminds me, was the security guard a goner, too?  Since she was the snake in the garden, I suppose I shouldn't care.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:49 AM »
Again, hard to say. She did take a severe blow to the head with an unusual blunt instrument (spoilers!), though. Speaking of which:

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerseycity/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1298964321108170.xml&coll=3
See God, Kai

Sarah

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »
She did take a severe blow to the head . . .

Two!