Author Topic: Guest Suggestion: Weird Al  (Read 7169 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Guest Suggestion: Weird Al
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:11:55 AM »
Tom,

I know you have said in the past that humorous music is not your thing.  But Weird Al seems incredibly nice, funny, intelligent, and soft-G-rated.   I think these qualities overshadow the fact that his entire raison d'etre makes you wince. 

This would be a really special event for me, given that on one of my first calls to the show, I attempted a song parody, and you dubbed me "Weirder Jon" and suggested that I challenge Weird Al to a "weird off."

For all of these reasons, I posit that Weird Al deserves the Best Show.

And yes, I just used "posit" and "Weird Al" in the same sentence.

Thanks for considering it,
Jon
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: Guest Suggestion: Weird Al
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:00:42 AM »
He's seen a thousand faces, and he's mocked them all.

But yeah, I'll second what Jon said ... based on his recent appearances in other forums*, he strikes me as a very affable and engaging guest.

And he met Paul McCartney. So you could ask him about that.

* um ... err ... podcasts.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:57:33 AM »
He seems like a really nice dude.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
Weird Al and I have talked about it over the last year. It will happen eventually!

Tom.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
This makes me happy.

Thank you.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:17 PM »
I love how we, as a people, have collectively eased up on good ol' Weird Al over the last few decades. I used to think what he did was totally dumb, and now I have no idea why I thought that.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

erechoveraker

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:54:04 PM »
I still think his music is dumb, and raise my eyebrow anytime anyone tells me they listen to any of his songs more than once - but he himself is a seriously funny guy. UHF was one of my favorite movies in my early teens - and parts of it hold up pretty well still. He's always great anytime I see him on other stuff, Tim & Eric, CDRaydio etc. He'll be an awesome guest with Tom, can't wait!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »
I think I first encountered Weird Al on Square One TV when I was seven or eight. I became a fan for life after that. I think his song parodies are, with few exceptions, both clever and funny. And it's comedy that appeals to all age groups. Plus, he seems like a genuinely nice and funny individual.

I'm looking forward to a Weird Al appearance on the Best Show. Here's hoping it comes to pass.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:37:58 AM »
I have a fondness for his music that probably has more to do with when I discovered it than its actual quality, and I never play his albums or anything, but if asked, I will self-identify as a fan. I once took my little brother to see Weird Al live (I was probably 17 or 18 at the time) and it was a fantastic show. He did a bunch of costume changes, often wearing the costumes from the song's video, and the fake interview videos that played while he was changing were really funny.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:10:38 AM »
A friend of mine toured with Weird Al for a summer and said he was a really decent guy.  That level of fame might be ok, but I still think I'd get the creeps.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:31 AM »
That level of fame might be ok, but I still think I'd get the creeps.

What the hell are you talking about, Buff?

What level of fame?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »
What level of fame?

Weird Al's level of fame, is how I understood it.

masterofsparks has hit the nail on the head. I would also describe myself as a fan, but don't own any albums or anything. I've heard great things about his live shows.

For years he would "take over" MuchMusic (i.e. Canada's MTV) for one day a year, and it was always really funny. I probably would have turned my back on him during my sour teenaged years if not for that.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
Weird Al to me in 3rd to 5th grade is the same as Charles Bukowski was to me in 9th to 11th grade.

When it comes to "comedy music," not the most promising area of human creative expression in any event, he's about the best.  My interest in him was revived by the "White and Nerdy" song (I was like, "He's still got it!") and then by Comedy Death Ray Radio. 

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
YAY!  Weird Al was basically my introduction to popular music!  UHF is a solid movie!  He's friends with Emo Phillips!  I look forward to his guest spot on The Best Show!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »
That level of fame might be ok, but I still think I'd get the creeps.

What the hell are you talking about, Buff?

What level of fame?

You all right, fred?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!