Author Topic: Guest Suggestion: Weird Al  (Read 7170 times)

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Guest Suggestion: Weird Al
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
Would he be a good guest, though?
You should go listen to his appearances on CDR Radio, one of which was with guest host PFT. He was a great guest.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
I was a big fan of his stuff in the 80s, but now don't follow him so much. It does seem that every time I've heard him as a guest on a podcast, he is genuinely and naturally funny, so I would agree he'd be a great guest.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 03:25:45 AM »
I love how we, as a people, have collectively eased up on good ol' Weird Al over the last few decades. I used to think what he did was totally dumb, and now I have no idea why I thought that.

I think part of it is that he's still doing it. It's a form of comedy that he loves and believes in and as time goes on he becomes more iconic and less of a gimmick. I don't listen to much of his stuff these days not because I don't think it's funny but more because I'm often not familiar with his source material anymore.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

orangewhip

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED my Weird Al tapes as a kid.  I also agree that his original material and "style parodies" are his best material.  While stuff like "Eat It" succeeds as a mildly amusing song parody, Dare to be Stupid is not  only funny, but is an original song, yet it's an original song in the style of a specific band.  And while it's funny lyrically, it's actually not bad on a musical level either.
While the actual "music" was never my main draw for Al, he and his band are all very solid musicians.
I think it's cool that he has kept the same band for so long.  He could probably get other people to do the work for way cheaper,  I mean, the "music" isn't Weird Al's selling point, but he has stuck by those guys from the beginning.  Class act.
Also, I just wanted to give a shout out to one of my personal Weird Al favorites...."The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota".
"My week beats your year." -- Lou Reed. Liner notes to Metal Machine Music