Author Topic: 35 Shots of Rum by Claire Denis  (Read 3296 times)

harris

35 Shots of Rum by Claire Denis
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
Hey Mike I was wondering if you had gotten a chance to see this yet and if you had any thoughts on it or Denis is general.

Her last film was a totally inacessible turnoff but this one I thought was really great. It was definately a good year-ender.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: 35 Shots of Rum by Claire Denis
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:12:20 AM »
I haven't seen this one yet but I did catch her next film, 'White Material', at the Toronto Film Fest and it was awesome. Not inaccessible by any means. I'd highly recommend it as well.

harris

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »
I've seen most of her films and like her alot. The bad one was The Intruder. That one made me really frustrated. Trouble Every Day was the weird Vicent Gallo vampire-ish/gorey/bloody one. It was before vampires were big and I remember liking it alot. But I think now that I am sick and tired of vampire culture I might view it differently.

Beau Travail was great and what Jarhead wished it could be. Plus Denis Lavant is awesome.

But it's good to see she is making films like Nennette et Boni again.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
Haven't seen it. I think I've only seen Beau Travail and No Fear, No Die. They were OK. Didn't knock me out. Her movies have great soundtracks though (I like No Fear, No Die and Nenette and Boni which the Tindersticks worked on).
See God, Kai

harris

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
Yeh the soundtrack to this is really good as well. I like it when films have the same song that fades in and out throughout the film. Jarmusch does it alot and one of the finest examples is Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »
I've only seen Trouble Every Day and I kinda hated it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »
Claire Denis is an international treasure. One of the top five filmmakers working today.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »
Claire Denis is an international treasure. One of the top five filmmakers working today.

I'll take the bait. Who are the other four?
See God, Kai

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:21:13 AM »
I don't know, that was an arbitrary number. Not sure I could pick five (PTA is probably one though). She's at the top of her game, is what I'm saying.

harris

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
I don't know, that was an arbitrary number. Not sure I could pick five (PTA is probably one though). She's at the top of her game, is what I'm saying.

Speaking of good directors working today, did anyone seem Richard Linklater's new one?