Author Topic: first time poster, but listener for 4 or 5 or... years  (Read 2562 times)

herbertjue

• Plantar Fasciitis
first time poster, but listener for 4 or 5 or... years
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
hiya,

glad to be here, and, honored to be here.  i thought i'd post something in ref to 1 of tom's old radio topics, i hope that's cool.  topic was (something like):  "oh no, this isn't going very well".  but mine is like "oh, this is gonna go good.  but it didn't.".  takes place in spring 1986 and i attended a press conference at elektra records, full of college writers.  i was first to arrive & i see a long conference table.  i sit near 1 of the 2 short ends, figuring speaker (i think it was KOOL MOE DEE) would be at opposite end (you can see what's gonna happen).  others come in.  seat to my left remains empty, and then spker enters, and takes that seat!  anyway, the talk & q/a go ok and i dutifully take notes.  then, spker turns to me & says (paraphrased) "hey man, you been writing & writing - don't you have a question for me?".   but i didn't.  tho i had the sense to note something he said, so i asked (paraphrased) "uh, you said that you were glad to not have to perform on the streets anymore.  really?  don't you want to be near all your fans?".  and this somehow upset him, but i don't remember what he said.  then the whole room erupted, and the press conf ended shortly after. 

i can date the incident bec i felt inspired by the REPLACEMENTS being on sat.night.live on january 1986, and they were so sloppy & unprofessional - but terrific & honest.

thanks for bearing with me, now, shall i post on the other msg boards?

-take care, herb

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: first time poster, but listener for 4 or 5 or... years
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
hiya,

glad to be here, and, honored to be here.  i thought i'd post something in ref to 1 of tom's old radio topics, i hope that's cool.  topic was (something like):  "oh no, this isn't going very well".  but mine is like "oh, this is gonna go good.  but it didn't.".  takes place in spring 1986 and i attended a press conference at elektra records, full of college writers.  i was first to arrive & i see a long conference table.  i sit near 1 of the 2 short ends, figuring speaker (i think it was KOOL MOE DEE) would be at opposite end (you can see what's gonna happen).  others come in.  seat to my left remains empty, and then spker enters, and takes that seat!  anyway, the talk & q/a go ok and i dutifully take notes.  then, spker turns to me & says (paraphrased) "hey man, you been writing & writing - don't you have a question for me?".   but i didn't.  tho i had the sense to note something he said, so i asked (paraphrased) "uh, you said that you were glad to not have to perform on the streets anymore.  really?  don't you want to be near all your fans?".  and this somehow upset him, but i don't remember what he said.  then the whole room erupted, and the press conf ended shortly after. 

i can date the incident bec i felt inspired by the REPLACEMENTS being on sat.night.live on january 1986, and they were so sloppy & unprofessional - but terrific & honest.

thanks for bearing with me, now, shall i post on the other msg boards?

-take care, herb

Hey Herb, you could have saved that for a call.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."