Author Topic: Movies I don't recommend  (Read 14967 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Movies I don't recommend
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
Observe and Report

Funny People

I think I laughed once between the two (and I'm not proud to say that it was the way Jonah Hill pronounced "titays").
See God, Kai

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Movies I don't recommend
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »
i disagree: observe and report was good if you know the background(eastbound and down) and the kinda stories jody hill does
i thought the movie was funny in a dirty secret kinda way

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »
I thought Observe and Report was hilarious, but it is a weird movie to recommend someone.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »
I thought Observe and Report was hilarious, but it is a weird movie to recommend someone.

Those are my feelings about Stroszek

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
I really like Eastbound & Down but have to agree O&R was pretty bad.  Not only was it not funny (I think there were more pointless obscure music montages than jokes), but I don't think Rogen is versatile enough to do what Danny McBride did in that show, although I predict he will one day star in either a Paul Thomas Anderson or Quentin Tarantino movie.  Maybe in the John Brown biopic as a slaveowner. 

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »
Never saw Observe and Report because I actually liked Paul Blart: Mall Cop, so I was already sated on mall security comedy.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »
because I actually liked Paul Blart: Mall Cop, so I was already sated on mall security comedy.
Well he certainly does his job promoting the obese community as the last group of people you can openly hate. Good job Kevin James!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
I thought Observe and Report was great, much better than nearly every other recent movie by that ilk. I watched it twice.

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
This was a big year for mall security movies, that's for sure.

I liked OBSERVE & REPORT for the most part but EASTBOUND & DOWN is superior in pretty much every way.  Jody Hill has a knack for icky characters. 

FUNNY PEOPLE was flawed but worth a look if you have any interest in the stand up world.  They made at least a couple gigantic stretches, though.  A packed open-mic?  That's just silly.     
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

Reeleyes

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 03:38:56 PM »
Paul Blart was the first movie I watched on Netflix. It was the day we had to put our dog down and I needed something ridiculous that I wouldn't want to re-watch a lot. It was a crap movie but to it's credit Kevin James is pretty good at physical comedy, I got a few chuckles. I did wonder if X-games funded that flick since every bad guy in the movie was on an X-games roster at one time or another.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 01:49:50 PM »
mike, did you see Year One?  I could see it fitting in with your list.  I saw it last night with some friends and we laughed our asses off, mostly at Michael Cera's line delivery.  I'd recommend it, but you have to watch it stoned.
veni dixie vici

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »
Mike have you seen the Hurt Locker?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 12:22:59 AM »
I didn't see Year One. I did see The Hurt Locker. I liked it, but thought it got a little repetitive as it went along.
See God, Kai

Pat K

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 08:24:02 AM »
I love Foot Fist Way and Eastbound & Down, but Observe and Report is definitely weaker than those by a long shot. I didn't think it was terrible, but that's got more to do with the fact that I dig what Jody Hill is trying to do conceptually than with anything in the actual movie. The best parts were the shocking ending and Danny McBride's cameo.

Maybe in the John Brown biopic as a slaveowner. 

Whoa - is someobdy really doing a John Brown biopic? Because that would be mad decent.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:33:57 AM »
I would like to wholeheartedly NOT recommend Bruno. Worst crap I saw this year. Turned it off after 40 minutes because I could feel myself becoming dumber.

I say this having enjoyed Borat. I just think Bruno was using the same tired idea and bumping it up around 98 notches.