Author Topic: Xmas gift giving FAQ: Is it wrong?  (Read 1278 times)

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Xmas gift giving FAQ: Is it wrong?
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
Is it morally wrong to give an extra copy of a DVD you got for free (because of a shipping mistake) as a Christmas gift? If not, what are the parameters of this? Do you need to explain that you got it free or just let them assume you imported it overseas for them?

Also, it's a region 1 disc and most people here (region 2) don't have multi-region players. It might not work for him at all.

Such a dilemma!

Please continue this thread with your own questions about gift giving dilemmas, if you foncy!
"Is this me?"

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Xmas gift giving FAQ: Is it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
Normally if you want to re-gift something you got for free you shouldn't have to explain anything, but in this case if you're giving a gift he may not be able to use you should come clean.  If this is someone important to you, get them a "real" gift and then throw this in as a sort of bonus. 

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Xmas gift giving FAQ: Is it wrong?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 03:13:57 PM »
Ain't nothing wrong with giving someone something you got for free. The point isn't arbitrarily spending a certain amount, it's showing someone that you care about them by being thoughtful and providing them with something that you think they will like. I'm actually giving a couple people things I got for free or almost free this year.

That being said, don't give it if you're not sure if they can play it, or if you're not sure it's a DVD they would actually want. If it meets both of those criteria, gift away. If it doesn't meet those criteria and you still want to get rid of it, toss it to charity or a hospital or something.
I'm warning you with peace and love.