Author Topic: @PastorJosh, re: The Story of Marjoe  (Read 3816 times)

Trembling Eagle

@PastorJosh, re: The Story of Marjoe
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:28:37 AM »
I meant to ask you about this in the chat last night but couldn't think of it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-178629120699935619#

have you ever seen this, if yes what do you think
if no, could you?

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: @PastorJosh, re: The Story of Marjoe
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Great movie. It's funny how it made such a splash at the time, but got completely and utterly forgotten.

On the WFMU blog a few years ago I remember they posted some mp3 clips of a young Marjoe preaching, from a record of his that apparently came out at the height of his prepubescent celebrity. I like to slip em in between tracks on mix CDs now and again.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:09:08 AM »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-178629120699935619#

if no, could you?

So what's so special about this kid? A lot of kids get "the call to preach" its not uncommon in the south. Was he like the first of the Benny Hinns?

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:08:21 AM »

if no, could you?

So what's so special about this kid? A lot of kids get "the call to preach" its not uncommon in the south. Was he like the first of the Benny Hinns?

watch it and find out

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
I did i still don't get what's so great about his story its basically VH1 Behind The Music.

PatrickChew

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
I did i still don't get what's so great about his story its basically VH1 Behind The Music.

The interesting thing is that he actually admits to the filmmakers that he is pretty much just a con man and doesn't believe in what he's preaching. He's just out to get money and gives details how to do it. People like Benny Hinn and Peter Popoff probably learned a lot from the movie...

Pat K

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
The thing I always liked about the Marjoe movie is that, even without the fraud angle, it would still be a great flick, in my opinion. Some of those tent revival scenes are electrifying, almost hypnotic. Great fun.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »
No, I haven't seen it, or even heard of it.  I bumped it up to #3 on my Netflix queue.  I'll tell you what I think after I see it.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
No, I haven't seen it, or even heard of it.  I bumped it up to #3 on my Netflix queue.  I'll tell you what I think after I see it.

oh ok

why not just watch it right here?

its all there

Pastor Josh

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
I didn't watch it there because my internet doesn't really allow for streaming video, beyond a youtube clip or two.  I just watched it, and I really enjoyed it.  In essence, he really expressed something I think all pastors feel.   Not that most pastors don't believe what they preach, but many, me included, know that where their parishioners are is a completely different place from where they are.  Personally, I'm far more liberal than most United Methodists, but I still have to connect my understanding of the gospel with theirs in a way that brings about transformation of lives (including mine) and the world. 

Beyond that, it was a really great story.  Not knowing anything else about his guy, it seems like an amazing triumph he's able to function at all as an adult given his history of abuse and exploitation.  I'm really glad that, at least as far as the movie wants us to know, he's basically happy. 

It reminded me of Jesus Camp, in that Christians ought to watch it to see the degree of abuse that can come out of faith.  It was also kind of interesting to see the camp meetings and think how much _Leap of Faith_ dialed it back.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »
I didn't watch it there because my internet doesn't really allow for streaming video, beyond a youtube clip or two.  I just watched it, and I really enjoyed it.  In essence, he really expressed something I think all pastors feel.   Not that most pastors don't believe what they preach, but many, me included, know that where their parishioners are is a completely different place from where they are.  Personally, I'm far more liberal than most United Methodists, but I still have to connect my understanding of the gospel with theirs in a way that brings about transformation of lives (including mine) and the world. 

Beyond that, it was a really great story.  Not knowing anything else about his guy, it seems like an amazing triumph he's able to function at all as an adult given his history of abuse and exploitation.  I'm really glad that, at least as far as the movie wants us to know, he's basically happy. 

It reminded me of Jesus Camp, in that Christians ought to watch it to see the degree of abuse that can come out of faith.  It was also kind of interesting to see the camp meetings and think how much _Leap of Faith_ dialed it back.

that's really interesting, thanks for that. I've heard people say pastors at those large congregations are some of the least religious people in the building. Because of the unique pressures on them (they have to make a living off their faith). Looking from the outside I can see a case for structure and hierarchy to try and remove the money making part of it, but I guess that gets to heart of the Protestant divide. Do I have that wrong?

Pastor Josh

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:43 AM »
No, I think that's a great insight.  The less structure there is, the more room for deceit there is.  Someone like Marjoe could never have made it through the process I've been through.  (I by no means am suggesting there are no crooked Methodist pastors, just to be clear.)  But also our structure can kill passion.  It can be a trade-off.  And all pastors have to make a living off their faith.  I just happen to have the support of a denomination that guarantees me a job and provides great health insurance and a really good pension.  I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to make a living off my faith without those guarantees.  I will confess that i watched him and thought, "I could do that."  I'd hate myself, but I could do it, and probably do it pretty well.  I have the freedom to judge of someone who's never been hungry.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:49 PM »
The interesting thing is that he actually admits to the filmmakers that he is pretty much just a con man and doesn't believe in what he's preaching.

I'd be interested what a dose of sodium pentothal and a tape recorder might yield if religious leaders all over the world were interviewed more in-depth about their true beliefs. The brain works in mysterious ways.

Pat K

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 03:15:21 PM »
Any cinematically- and/or religiously-inclined FOT in the WNY/Buffalo area, I'm gonna be hosting a free screening of this fine film at Sugar City (19 Wadsworth St ,Buffalo) next month on May 3.  Might even pair it with the director's other Oscar-winning documentary, the bonkers short film THOTH.   

Everyone knows that this movie won the Oscar for Best Doc in '72, right? And that the director is the first female director to win an Oscar for a feature, right? (...Something they forgot to mention in all of the Kathryn Bigelow coverage this year.) I always thought that was pretty cool. Anyway, this is advance warning. Also, again, it'll be free. Good times.