Author Topic: "degree in shushing"  (Read 3075 times)

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
"degree in shushing"
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
So, I work in a library and am a couple of months away from getting my MLIS degree. A week or so ago I was trying to get a co-worker to check out the Best Show. I think she was truly interested until I gave her the disclaimer that there might be some ribbing of librarians and that you need a degree for it. I mentioned the "degree in shushing" comment, which we do hear from time to time and she went nuts. It's kind of a complex within the profession. I think it's kind of funny.

Anyway, she then proceeded to go on a 45 minute rant about how wrongheaded and offensive that is to those of us working in libraries, etc... Needless to say, I don't think she tuned in.

The good news is that three other people I work with heard about it all later and they're going to start listening. So hooray!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: "degree in shushing"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »

Does this woman not even like the Librarian Action Figure with real shushing action? Modeled after and endorsed by Nancy Pearl? For crying out loud?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
So, I work in a library and am a couple of months away from getting my MLIS degree. A week or so ago I was trying to get a co-worker to check out the Best Show. I think she was truly interested until I gave her the disclaimer that there might be some ribbing of librarians and that you need a degree for it. I mentioned the "degree in shushing" comment, which we do hear from time to time and she went nuts. It's kind of a complex within the profession. I think it's kind of funny.

Anyway, she then proceeded to go on a 45 minute rant about how wrongheaded and offensive that is to those of us working in libraries, etc... Needless to say, I don't think she tuned in.

The good news is that three other people I work with heard about it all later and they're going to start listening. So hooray!

Man, if she's that sensitive about something that comes up so often, she might be in the wrong business.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Cotton

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »
The thing is, she normally has a very good sense of humor, which made it even weirder when she went off like that.

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
How does she react when she's asked to remove her glasses and shake out her hair?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
How does she react when she's asked to remove her glasses and shake out her hair?

Yes... yes.

Wait, what were we talking about again?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!