Author Topic: The Band's Last Waltz  (Read 8410 times)

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
The Band's Last Waltz
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »
Dear Tom,

I really enjoy "The Band's Last Waltz." I think it is because my dad used to play it when I was little and I couldn't change the tv. I really like all the different musicians who sing and all the "music videos" with people like Emmylou Harris and The Staple Singers. I also like many of the musicians who show up at the concert like Joni Mitchell and Dr. John.

Would you consider ever doing something like this with one of your shows? Like a concert with guests like Ted Leo or PFT or Julie from Cincinnati and Laurie from Miami? I think a concert where everyone got to sing one song with you or something would be fun.

I would like to sing "Waterloo" with you. Or some other ABBA song.

Sincerely,
Nicole
Doing it Mentos style.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Band's Last Waltz
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:46:50 AM »
I think the only way this would work would be if Tom wore a crazy purple suit like Van Morrison wears in the movie, and does all of Van's crazy high kicks and stuff.

Seriously, that performance is out of control. I think that's the most Van Morrison has ever moved in his entire life.

I'm warning you with peace and love.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
Referenced in the first Shout! Network call as a reason for the greenlighting of "The Van Morrison Variety Two Hours."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
Who's got dibs on the cocaine booger Neil Young sported during his performance?

And before you get any other ideas, Who's Got Dibs on the Cocaine Booger? is already the title of my forthcoming memoir.

gravy boat

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »

And before you get any other ideas, Who's Got Dibs on the Cocaine Booger? is already the title of my forthcoming memoir.

In those pre-computer days, wasn't half Scorcese's post-production budget spent on editing that booger out?

I hope Hammerhead could make it to this.

Reeleyes

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »
C'mon, Neil Young never drank or did drugs. Next your gonna tell me David Crosby got high too.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »
C'mon, Neil Young never drank or did drugs. Next your gonna tell me David Crosby got high too.

Don't eff with the Cros.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pat K

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:26:38 PM »

Haha.  I was just telling my girlfriend the other day about that weird marijuana-honey goop that Neil Young was notorious for using in the 70s. As someone who has enjoyed both of those things, I always thought that sounded like the grossest shit ever.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
Honey Slides.  There's a concert bootleg where he talks about them for 10 minutes between songs. 

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
Honey Slides.  There's a concert bootleg where he talks about them for 10 minutes between songs.  

You're talking about the terrific 1974 show at the Bottom Line. A lot of the ON THE BEACH material was debuted at this show, and Neil does do his Honey Slides schtick as an intro to "Motion Pictures". He even tells how to prepare it, saying: "I hope you ladies are listening tonight." One of the greatest bootlegs of all time!

And I like the Band. I can't help it.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »

Too late. It's already on display at the Smithsonian Institution. Next to Funzie's leather jacket.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »
I think the only way this would work would be if Tom wore a crazy purple suit like Van Morrison wears in the movie, and does all of Van's crazy high kicks and stuff.

Seriously, that performance is out of control. I think that's the most Van Morrison has ever moved in his entire life.

Where do you think Robert Pollard learned his moves? From The Last Waltz, perhaps?
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »

I would be happy to supply the purple outfit. Oh, and thank you for posting that picture. It makes me laugh every time I see it.
Doing it Mentos style.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:05 AM »

Where do you think Robert Pollard learned his moves? From The Last Waltz, perhaps?

Why hasn't KTB photoshopped Tom's head on this pic yet?  I don't have all day.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
Honey Slides.  There's a concert bootleg where he talks about them for 10 minutes between songs.  

You're talking about the terrific 1974 show at the Bottom Line. A lot of the ON THE BEACH material was debuted at this show, and Neil does do his Honey Slides schtick as an intro to "Motion Pictures". He even tells how to prepare it, saying: "I hope you ladies are listening tonight." One of the greatest bootlegs of all time!

And I like the Band. I can't help it.

I agree with both of these proclamations