Author Topic: The Band's Last Waltz  (Read 8412 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: The Band's Last Waltz
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 01:34:17 PM »
I think the only way this would work would be if Tom wore a crazy purple suit like Van Morrison wears in the movie, and does all of Van's crazy high kicks and stuff.

Seriously, that performance is out of control. I think that's the most Van Morrison has ever moved in his entire life.

Where do you think Robert Pollard learned his moves? From The Last Waltz, perhaps?

Why hasn't KTB photoshopped Tom's head on this pic yet?  I don't have all day.

This picture already looks photoshopped, like Van's head is stuck on Freddie Mercury's body.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
I think the only way this would work would be if Tom wore a crazy purple suit like Van Morrison wears in the movie, and does all of Van's crazy high kicks and stuff.

Seriously, that performance is out of control. I think that's the most Van Morrison has ever moved in his entire life.

Where do you think Robert Pollard learned his moves? From The Last Waltz, perhaps?

Why hasn't KTB photoshopped Tom's head on this pic yet?  I don't have all day.

This picture already looks photoshopped, like Van's head is stuck on Freddie Mercury's body.

...an idea which, incidentally, I have under copyright, pending the publication of my classic rock/zombie fanfic anthology.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »
This is playing on the big screen at our local indie movie house in Lexington. It's the second or third time I've seen it on the big screen. I'm excited.
Doing it Mentos style.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
I think that's the most Van Morrison has ever moved in his entire life.

Way, way back in the hippie days (yeah I'm a little older than many of you), I remember hearing this very stoned late-night DJ on the Pacifica station in Berkeley rapping about how Van Morrison was the greatest performer he'd ever seen.  The reason?  Because he'd once seen Them perform, and Van --"I swear"-- jumped from the stage up on to the top of an amplifier--without even bending his knees.

I could never decide what was funniest: (1) the image of Van Morrison doing this, (2) the idea that this guy actually thought he'd seen it when obviously he was tripping his face off; or (3) presenting this as a reason to proclaim someone the greatest performer you've ever seen.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Pat K

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »

Way, way back in the hippie days (yeah I'm a little older than many of you), I remember hearing this very stoned late-night DJ on the Pacifica station in Berkeley rapping about how Van Morrison was the greatest performer he'd ever seen.  The reason?  Because he'd once seen Them perform, and Van --"I swear"-- jumped from the stage up on to the top of an amplifier--without even bending his knees.

I could never decide what was funniest: (1) the image of Van Morrison doing this, (2) the idea that this guy actually thought he'd seen it when obviously he was tripping his face off; or (3) presenting this as a reason to proclaim someone the greatest performer you've ever seen.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.  Reminds me of in kung fu movies when they do that thing where they hold their hand like 1 inch away from a guy and punch him, and the guy flies across the room.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 01:07:18 AM »

If he didn't bend his knees I'm pretty sure he floated up there.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
If he didn't bend his knees I'm pretty sure he floated up there.

Maybe, but when I first heard it I thought of R. Crumb's character "Boingy Baxter."  Maybe he just had super-powerful springs in the soles of his shoes.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Pat K

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
To be fair, if I saw someone jump up on top of an amp during a show without bending their knees, I would probably be calling it the best performance I'd ever seen, too.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27:37 PM »
Was he wearing any of these shoes?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:49 AM »
Now I understand why Van Morrison is starring in the forthcoming INSPECTOR GADGET reboot.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 12:38:56 AM »

dear lord, that image made me laugh more than I have in like a year
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

scratchbomb

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
Lord, that mental image made me laugh. I'm imagining Van Morrison filmed at an up-angle, jumping straight up in the air, as I hear that "6 Million Dollar Man" g-g-g-g-g-g-g sound effect.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:04 AM »
Dear Tom,

I really enjoy "The Band's Last Waltz." I think it is because my dad used to play it when I was little and I couldn't change the tv. I really like all the different musicians who sing and all the "music videos" with people like Emmylou Harris and The Staple Singers. I also like many of the musicians who show up at the concert like Joni Mitchell and Dr. John.

Nothing brings the family together like a Neil Young coke booger.

scratchbomb

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »
I also loved Tom's description of Van Morrison on the recent COmedy and Everything Else podcast: "It's like someone forced him to be in show business."
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
This thread has brought tears to my eyes i'm laughing so hard. Everything about this is hilarious. Just needed to say, good work everybody.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.