Author Topic: Gentlemen Broncos  (Read 2755 times)

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Gentlemen Broncos
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »
Hey beautiful people!
I have just seen Gentlemen Broncos by Jared Hess and i do not understand what is going on over at rottentomatoes...
This is the so called consensus: "Unselfconsciously juvenile and overwhelmingly quirky, Gentlemen Broncos offers a lot of potty humor but isn't terribly funny."
Yeah it is juvenile and odd at it's core but that is what makes it extremely funny. Haven't these people seen Napoleon Dynamite? Oh but they have and are now claiming that the formula doesn't work anymore. Why? How? I was laughing at it  and it was pretty much all gut reaction. It is grippingly fun and grippingly awkward and i loved that in Napoleon Dynamite and i love it now in Gentlemen Broncos. The only reason i can think of why the entire critic community must hate the movie is because they think they are on to the formula of Hess' movies and are now punishing him for using it again. They did not truly like Napoleon Dynamite but were overwhelmed by the new style and the creativity and had to take the ride with it. Now they are fed up and trashed this movie because they never liked this kind of movie to begin with.
What do the FOTs think of Gentlemen Broncos and/or Napoleon Dynamite?

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Gentlemen Broncos
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
I utterly despised Napolean Dynamite. I thought Hess and his actors were all trying way too hard to be odd and the visual style was kind of sickening. To say he lacks comic timing would be an understatement, and he makes a fetish out of overemphasizing every gag.

I definitely felt I was in the minority when ND was released, but over the years I've noticed the consensus beginning to turn around on it.

On the other hand, I liked about half of Gentlemen Broncos (the parts with Sam Rockwell or Jemaine Clement). Though if I still read sci-fi I'd find the notion that it's all about repressed sexual perversions a little insulting.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:46 PM »
I think i seen one good review and that was at the New Yorker go figure.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
I saw it last night, and I liked it. Weird thing is I also have Moon at home. Two Sam Rockwell (who I think is pretty great) sci-fi roles. I would take this movie over say, 500 Days of Summer, which I haven't seen, but saw the trailer on the DVD. "I love The Smiths." "You like the Smiths?" Gawd I know, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zoey Deschanel, it's like so impossible to find ANYONE in this world who likes The Smiths, and where did you find that "Unknown Pleasures" shirt? They couldn't have found cuter actors either, could they? I find movies of this ilk pandering and kinda insulting.
I like the oddballs in Jared Hess' films. I like how his protagonists aren't too damn cute and precious for their own good, and kinda border on weird looking. I like the early 80s visual vacuum that they live in. I also like the fact that there's no cursing (much like on The Best Show) in his films, because I'm finding that cursing is just a stale comedic crutch, when it's actually funnier to find ways around using curse words. And Gentleman Broncos opened with Zager & Evans' "In The Year 2525". And the hand massage scene was hilarious.

"Dad gets mad."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
I saw it last night, and I liked it. Weird thing is I also have Moon at home. Two Sam Rockwell (who I think is pretty great) sci-fi roles. I would take this movie over say, 500 Days of Summer, which I haven't seen, but saw the trailer on the DVD. "I love The Smiths." "You like the Smiths?" Gawd I know, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zoey Deschanel, it's like so impossible to find ANYONE in this world who likes The Smiths, and where did you find that "Unknown Pleasures" shirt? They couldn't have found cuter actors either, could they? I find movies of this ilk pandering and kinda insulting.
I like the oddballs in Jared Hess' films. I like how his protagonists aren't too damn cute and precious for their own good, and kinda border on weird looking. I like the early 80s visual vacuum that they live in. I also like the fact that there's no cursing (much like on The Best Show) in his films, because I'm finding that cursing is just a stale comedic crutch, when it's actually funnier to find ways around using curse words. And Gentleman Broncos opened with Zager & Evans' "In The Year 2525". And the hand massage scene was hilarious.

Yes, yes, a BILLION times yes! There seem to be two kinds of comedians, the ones who say "fuck" for effect, and the ones who say "fuck" because it's the easiest way to get a laugh. There's about 1 of the former for every 30 of the latter. It's so ridiculous. I am not afraid of the word fuck. Let me say it again. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck. It's just a word, but it's a meaningless word to use artistically if it constitutes 5% of your vocabulary. FUCK.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »
Now let's hope I get 99 posts in without using it again.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:38 PM »
I haven't seem Gentlemen Broncos yet, but I intend to. I loved Napoleon Dynamite, and I'm even one of the rare apologists for Nacho Libre. It's not for everyone, obviously, but that stuff makes me laugh. And what other criteria is there?

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »
Are dirty words supposed to be funny or something? What is this the olden days? I think now a days those types of comedians go for the shock value and dirty words just dont do it anymore.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »
I haven't seem Gentlemen Broncos yet, but I intend to. I loved Napoleon Dynamite, and I'm even one of the rare apologists for Nacho Libre. It's not for everyone, obviously, but that stuff makes me laugh. And what other criteria is there?
I agree with you on both fronts. I liked Nacho Libre. Jack Black makes me laugh. His appearance on Yo Gabba Gabba! made me laugh. I was watching The Tenacious D Show the other night, and trying not to laugh. I failed. PFT was also hilarious as the club owner who had to read their ridiculous intro cards.
"Dad gets mad."