Author Topic: usb turntable suggestions  (Read 1070 times)

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
usb turntable suggestions
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to record mp3s from vinyl.  Maybe the best model of turntable to get? 
Your vigor for life appalls me.

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: usb turntable suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
Good discussion about turntables (what to buy etc) here:

http://www.friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,6272.0.html

ChixPox Party

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: usb turntable suggestions
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
my wife got me one for my birthday last year - the turntable itself works fine, but the needle that came with it is weird - it looks like it's a needle to play 78's or somethng.  it's got a little spiky bit on the underside of the needle that just trashes any records you play.  haven't had the time to look for a regular needle that would fit the arm (it's not a standard screw on one), so i haven't been able to use the turntable at all.

i'd suggest, if you've already got a turntable hooked up to your stereo receiver, just get a y-cable and plug the RCA plugs into the "tape out" jacks on your stereo, and the other end of the cable into the microphone or line-in port on your computer - works just as well.  there's really nothing special about usb turntables except for the usb line and the built in pre-amp.  but if you've already got a turntable hooked up to your stero, you're set for a pre-amp.  you'll still have to download a recording program, but you can get one for free online...