Author Topic: Victoria Jackson singing 'There's A Communist Living In The White house'  (Read 5967 times)

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome

Unless you quickly build a third party strong enough to knock out one of the two existing parties.  They've been trying since 1865.

Bull Moose,

They may have beat the Republicans but they still lost the election.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!

Unless you quickly build a third party strong enough to knock out one of the two existing parties.  They've been trying since 1865.

Bull Moose,

How many Bull Moose Presidents have we had, Freddy?

Might as well say Reform Party.

The math just doesn't work.  No one wants to hear that, but you're all just a bunch of little cyphers, with no joint free will.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis

How many Bull Moose Presidents have we had, Freddy?

Might as well say Reform Party.

The math just doesn't work.  No one wants to hear that, but you're all just a bunch of little cyphers, with no joint free will.

Mindless laws are set in place that limit third parties a narrow opportunity to play the political field on a fair level. You would have to be a crazy billionaire to pull off being included as a third party in debates. It has nothing to do with constitutional law. Democrats and Republicans are neither "liberal" nor "conservative". They are all corporatists who will be swayed by deepening pockets and lobbyists. The UK has many political parties, and they have not imploded.

Sorry to fuel a debate.

I'm with you Fredericks.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Does the UK have the same electoral system as the United States, waltkellysghost?

Might there be something in that that could cause a difference?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
They don't, but Parliament is still democratic in nature. No process is perfect, but perhaps that method is onto something. Our process doesn't hold back third parties, the two major political parties do that.

Our votes aren't direct either. We go through an electoral college that speaks for the sum votes of its regions. When I voted Obama in 2008, my state electoral colleges went Republican. That means my vote didn't count.

Parliament's process isn't too far off. By comparison you could say ours is way shadier. Parliament has direct representatives that must sway their regions directly. The people see who represent them. US citizens must do some fairly deep research to identify the electoral college members that represent their state.

I'm sure the electoral college counts the votes square for their states, but how would we know if they didn't? To most americans they are an enigma, and they have made it a point to keep it that way.

To swing back to the forum topic real quick: Victoria Jackson is a moron.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
Y'know. If the House and the Senate all wore powdered wigs....I would forgive most government transgressions.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
This brings back memories of suffering through her stupid songs and her insufferable ditzy girl persona back on episodes of Saturday Night Live in the 80s. Ew brother. Teabaggers bringing the Starpower.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
It occurs to me that she's probably Irwin Chusid's ideal performer.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Wish there was backstage footage of her bantering with Al back in the day...

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
This is reminding me of that quote from some UK person: 'In America they have 2 political parties. One is like our Conservative Party. So is the other.'

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
If I wanted to be pompous, I could say that we Canadians can say the same thing about the US. But I won't.

Sarah

Because you're Canadian, right?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
I've been a big fan since her show-stopping performance in UHF.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!

POST OF THE YEAR
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome

POST OF THE YEAR

Seconded.