Author Topic: Depravity's Rainbow returns!  (Read 34035 times)

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Depravity's Rainbow returns!
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »
Mike,
What awkward memories should I get ready to tap into? Young love? Parent conflicts? Drinking?

Looking forward to it!

Emily

• Space Champion!
Re: Depravity's Rainbow returns!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
w00t!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:54:45 AM »
What was interesting was the recurring theme of technology rising up to punish us for our hubris: Westworld, Planet of the Apes, automatic toilets.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
Westworld really is a lot of fun. The sequel (Futureworld) isn't nearly as good, but does have an extended dance sequence with Yul Brynner which is really very strange.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
Westworld really is a lot of fun. The sequel (Futureworld) isn't nearly as good, but does have an extended dance sequence with Yul Brynner which is really very strange.

I haven't seen Futureworld - I need to check that out.

For me, one of the funniest things about Westworld is Yul Brynner's teeny weeny cowboy hat:

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
What was interesting was the recurring theme of technology rising up to punish us for our hubris: Westworld, Planet of the Apes, automatic toilets.

Yes!  And Therese's response: that's what all Science-Fiction is about. 
That this followed Mike saying he didn't care for Science-Fiction doubled my pleasure.  I SOUND LIKE A DUMB GUM COMMERCIAL..
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
I haven't seen Futureworld - I need to check that out.

As I recall, the dance sequence was the only highlight. I wouldn't rush to it. I was going to post a video to save everyone the time, but the only thing I could find was taped with a camcorder from someone's tv set... Get your head in the game, youtube!

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
I DO NOT HAVE A CELL PHONE. 

My wife has one for the car (emergency one), but cell-less other than that. 

I DO NOT intend on getting one, either. 

GREAT SHOW!

Ike
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »
I'm always happy to hear that I'm not alone, Ike.

Also, I saw that Oprah is spearheading a campaign against driving while texting/talking on a cell phone which now kills more people than drunk drivers. The momentum is building!
See God, Kai

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
Mike, if your movement needs an anthem, you will want to seek out Jonathan Richman's song "You Can Have a Cell Phone, That's Okay But Not Me."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
I wasn't aware of that song. A shorter title wouldn't hurt either. Someone needs to write an anthem called: "Not me, man."
See God, Kai

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
It is from the same mind that brought us 'I Eat With Gusto, Damn, You Bet'.

meamsean

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
the last depravity's rainbow, in all honesty, was excellent. really funny and entertaining. mike, I hope more of the people from your world (former work associates and so on) keep on coming out of the woodwork.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:24:52 AM »
I'm just now catching up with the last Depravity's Rainbow and I'd like to second Mike's love for Chris Whitley's Dirt Floor. I almost always have something by him on my portable media device, and more often than not it's either Dirt Floor or Living With the Law. Terrific record by a really underappreciated guy.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
I'm just now catching up with the last Depravity's Rainbow and I'd like to second Mike's love for Chris Whitley's Dirt Floor. I almost always have something by him on my portable media device, and more often than not it's either Dirt Floor or Living With the Law. Terrific record by a really underappreciated guy.

Second the Living with the Law love. My wife (then girlfriend) lived near him in New York around 2002 and we used to see him a lot at this breakfast/diner place he was a regular at. He was always not-necessarily-friendly-but-acknowledged me after I said I liked his stuff. But holy moly, he smoked a lot.