Author Topic: words i dislike  (Read 40086 times)

John Junk

Re: words i dislike
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »
I hate when people say "Nutricious" just becuase it rhymes with "delicious"

When someone says someone else is "on crack"

When people say "just kidding" right after being proven wrong for something.

"Lunch" when it's said suggestively (with up and down eyebrows especially)

I was at Whole Foods the other day.  I just got my wisdom teeth removed and I had to eat soft foods, and I was like "Screw it, I know it's overpriced, but I'm having a bunch of hot mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese from whole foods cause they'll actually use potatoes and I'm hungry."  Well, I didn't expect that they'd raised the hot food price to effing 7.95 per pound, so those two items plus some mushroom casserole thing in the little box plus a water equaled 18 dollars and I was like "jesus!" and the checkout guy was relatively sympathetic and then some unsuspecting bag-girl came over and was like "You want that in a bag" and I had just told the dude I was eating it here (restaurant tax in CA for that, btw!) and I was just like "uh, No." in this sort of half-infuriated tone and she said, in the quietest voice ever, "just kidding".  And I thought "That's a weird thing to say".  And then out loud the clerk said "Yeah, we charge you for the bag too!" Ah, he's a mensch. 

Oh yeah, how about "And things like this" where it used to be fine to say "and things like that" or, even more pleeb!--"and stuff like that".  I feel like this "...things like this" is some weird attempt at Eurofying regular Ameri-talk.  Like I always hear upscale arty types saying this and it's like they're emulating the speach patterns of a Frenchman who hasn't mastered the art of the English language yet, and whose overcompensating by fancifying it.  I would also venture to say that saying "...and things like that" when referring to a number of different things is more grammatically correct than saying "...and things like this" in that instance.  It's like:

We ate popcorn, peanuts, walnuts, and things like that.
vs.
We ate caviar, lobster tail, foie gras, and things like this.

That second one is like... what thing?  Like they list things they ate and then they must have another thing in their hand that they're not letting you see.  Like they should say "And things like THIS" and pull out a Boar's Head or a white bunny rabbit or something.

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
No disrespect. It's an amazing city in many ways. But y'all Angelenos hear more annoying speech per hour than most of us hear in a lifetime.

I don't know the origins of the any-noun-will-make-a-perfectly-good-verb theory, but I'm looking westward.

~EmD
"You said it. I didn't."

KickTheBobo

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 08:21:56 PM »
describing an item's design as being "sexy" pisses me off. that, and "Pilates".

jed

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »
"guesstimate" is terrible.
"My president is going to be one half Don West, one half the singer from Venom, thank you very much, good day sir!"

John Junk

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:21 PM »
No disrespect. It's an amazing city in many ways. But y'all Angelenos hear more annoying speech per hour than most of us hear in a lifetime.
~EmD

To that end you may appreciate/hate the word "gnar" which is the abbreviated version of "gnarley", as in: "That movie Pan's Labyrinth got pretty gnar when the housemaid gave the fascist a Chelsea smile."

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »
When my clients say Squash instead of Quash.

"A Motion to Squash Service of Process"

That bugs the hell out of me.

Squash is pretty funny in that context.  It's so wrong that it's funny. 

Tim K in DC

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2007, 04:10:21 AM »
I hate the term "post-rock." I don't necessarily hate all of what is touted as "post-rock", but I hate the implication that rock is a dead genre. There is at least one deejay in this area who has a show dedicated to the questionable (no, wait, I meant to say "bullshit") sub-genre, and the day he does more than play Mogwai records every week is the day that I start to believe that there might be something to be said for the validity of the sub-genre.

I hate the term "musics." So fucking pretentious.

"Seminal" creeps me out. It just does.

I had one more, but I lost it.

- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

Grimlock

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2007, 10:20:55 AM »
soulmate
empowerment
grassroots
activist
"speaking truth to power"
net crusader
carbon footprint
"doing my part"
++++++++++
buzzwords suck it :o :o :o :o :o

Laurie

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2007, 10:50:22 AM »
"Seminal" creeps me out. It just does.

What, like, seminal fluid?

JP

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »
I totally agree with all of these things you people are adding.  For example sexy only means one thing to me and it isn't going to result in my wanting to perform intimate acts with a car that is shiny and has the ability to go fast or with something made by the Apple Corporation.

I hate when people say they googled something or any technology words like blogosphere or garbage like that.  i had a subscription to wired magazine i got with frequent flier miles and it was the worst and it had a whole column on these words that it was trying to keep its readers up to date on.

I wish there were a better word for podcast. 

In fact grimlock's words that he hates are all these new words; we were doing fine without these words. 

I think it's funny/agitating when left wing radio hosts say "so called" before everything too.
1. My Prerogative - Bobby Brown
2. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
3. Straight Up - Paula Abdul
4. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
5. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi 
6. Toy Solider - Martika 
7. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals

Grimlock

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »

I hate when people say they googled something or any technology words like blogosphere or garbage like that.  i had a subscription to wired magazine i got with frequent flier miles and it was the worst and it had a whole column on these words that it was trying to keep its readers up to date on.

It's a corporate/political co-option of language, the introduction of virii and memes into the popular consciousness, and an attempt to brainfuck everybody with catchy word symbols.

I hate having my brain raped by PR demons.

John Junk

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2007, 04:17:54 PM »

I hate having my brain raped by PR demons.

I hate having my brain raped by the Hand Banana episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

sleepytako

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
~EmD

To that end you may appreciate/hate the word "gnar" which is the abbreviated version of "gnarley", as in: "That movie Pan's Labyrinth got pretty gnar when the housemaid gave the fascist a Chelsea smile."

I don't know how far this one spread but the Laguna varation of that was "nar nar". As in: Woah, dude, that was like soo nar nar".

As for my own:
While they totally have the right to be complete geeks, it pains me to see non-Japanese-speaking Anime fans using Japanese. Kawaii かわいい, the word for cute, is the most common. The saddest thing is that most of these offending speakers say it more like kowai こわい which means scary.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 12:21:49 AM »
to everyone in Miami: stop ending every sentence with ", no?"!!!!!! It doesn't make you sound smart or foreign, just conceited!
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Steve G

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 01:22:23 AM »
I hate when people say 'random'
. . .as in "that's so random"

(this is my first post)