Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104829 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
I've said it before, but it bears repeating: TOM DOWD AND THE LANGUAGE OF MUSIC is a treasure trove of amazing footage and great interviews with a really interesting guy. Some of the footage may not be so exciting for the younger folks here, but it's pretty awesome if you're old or into older music (meaning rock and soul music of the 1960s & 70s).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
I watched RESTREPO last night. Very powerful. Right now I am just about finished reading WHERE MEN WIN GLORY which is the Krakauer book about Pat Tillman. I went to bed last night feeling like I had been beaten with a lead pipe.

Did you see The Tillman Story? Really crooked story. I haven't started the book.

All the reccomendations are well appreciated but I was kinda asking mainly about instant watch documentaries.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
I watched RESTREPO last night. Very powerful. Right now I am just about finished reading WHERE MEN WIN GLORY which is the Krakauer book about Pat Tillman. I went to bed last night feeling like I had been beaten with a lead pipe.

Did you see The Tillman Story? Really crooked story. I haven't started the book.

All the reccomendations are well appreciated but I was kinda asking mainly about instant watch documentaries.

I did not see that movie. Kind of avoided it because I heard it was a bit skewed. I really like the book as I do other Krakauer books.

(RESTREPO is on instant watch.)
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
watch The Carter, the documentary about Lil Wayne. it's our generation's Don't Look Back.

I weep for your generation

I weep for yours. you're going to die way before me.

Wanna put money on it?

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
watch The Carter, the documentary about Lil Wayne. it's our generation's Don't Look Back.

I weep for your generation

I weep for yours. you're going to die way before me.

Wanna put money on it?

not really. as soon as i posted that I was pretty sure I jinxed myself. I'm probably gonna die tomorrow
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Just checked out The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.  It was entertaining and sad, more Jackass than Werner Herzog.  Which is neither good nor bad.  Also watched the first episode of the National Geographic Guns, Germs, and Steel, and it was OK.  Don't really feel compelled to watch the rest.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2011, 05:12:02 AM »
Has anybody seen the Shut Up Little Man documentary?

stephen

• Policemans heel
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2011, 01:20:32 AM »
Has anyone seen any of the stuff from the Allan King Eclipse set?  I've watched Warrendale, A Married Couple, and Come on Children, but haven't been able to make myself watch the rest of them because they seem like they'd be too sad for me to take.  Come on Children is a bit more interesting if you know that the kid named Alex Zivojinovich later changed his last name to Lifeson.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »
Has anyone seen any of the stuff from the Allan King Eclipse set?  I've watched Warrendale, A Married Couple, and Come on Children, but haven't been able to make myself watch the rest of them because they seem like they'd be too sad for me to take.  Come on Children is a bit more interesting if you know that the kid named Alex Zivojinovich later changed his last name to Lifeson.

I haven't but thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to see them. Do you like Frederick Wiseman at all? I recently watched Ballet before I saw Black Swan, and want to see more but they are a bit lengthy. I remember Blind being astounding and Central Park being so soothing. Central Park really gave you the 'sitting on a park bench' feeling.

stephen

• Policemans heel
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »

I haven't but thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to see them. Do you like Frederick Wiseman at all? I recently watched Ballet before I saw Black Swan, and want to see more but they are a bit lengthy. I remember Blind being astounding and Central Park being so soothing. Central Park really gave you the 'sitting on a park bench' feeling.

For some reason, this is the first I've heard of Frederick Wiseman.  I feel like a dummy.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »

For some reason, this is the first I've heard of Frederick Wiseman.  I feel like a dummy.

His films aren't readily available. Before torrents and the internet they could really only be found at school libraries and on PBS. If anyone deserves admiration for always sticking to his guns, it's Wiseman.

dudep

• Policemans heel
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2011, 04:21:26 PM »
Just saw Life and Debt (on instant view, and streaming on livevideo.com).  I'd be interested to hear what others thought of it--the juxtaposition of tourists'/residents' experiences could have been (and sometimes was) illuminating, but it came across at times like shooting fat American slobs in a barrel.  Also found the sagely-men-around-a-campfire shots to be kind of problematic.  But mostly I liked it (really!).

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
Just saw Life and Debt (on instant view, and streaming on livevideo.com).  I'd be interested to hear what others thought of it--the juxtaposition of tourists'/residents' experiences could have been (and sometimes was) illuminating, but it came across at times like shooting fat American slobs in a barrel.  Also found the sagely-men-around-a-campfire shots to be kind of problematic.  But mostly I liked it (really!).

Somebody brought this up in a class I took a year or so ago. One of the people in the class had gotten back from a mission trip to Haiti and lauded the actions of the US Gov and the relief workers. The person got into an argument with the dude and the conversation turned into a discussion about the shock doctrine (in general, they didn't use those words).

If you liked this movie, I would suggest The Take as another example of WTO's influence and people fighting back, but in Argentina. There was is another called "The Fourth World War," which is an Indie doc about resistance to globalization in different parts of the world.

dudep

• Policemans heel
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
Saw The Take when it came out.  I remember feeling pretty pumped afterwards, but not a lot besides that.  Will check out 4WW.

Now, which one of your classmates smelled the most like vomit?

fanatic preacher vs. punks

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
Thanks for steering me toward Tom Dowd & The Language of Music, MoS. It's great. I recommend it to anyone who likes music. And if you hate music, you might have your mind changed by the end of it.
See God, Kai