Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104379 times)

Paul DePhiladelphia

Documentary recs
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
I was curious which documentaries you guys hold dear.
I'll start by opening the discussion on a few of my favorite documentaries/documentarians. Have y'all seen the Paradise Lost films, Ross McElwee docus, Frederick Wiseman docus, or Streetwise?
Also what do you guys think of the HBO docus like Smalltown Ecstacy, Black Tar Heroin, Dope Sick Love?
There are really tons.
Hell House is frightening as well as Jesus Camp.
The list goes on, any recs? I'd really like to hear y'alls thoughts on the West Memphis 3.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
I really liked 51 Birch Street.
See God, Kai

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
Warner Herzog's Encounters At The End of The World blew my mind.  Very beautiful.
There's one making the festival rounds right now called Marwencol which is AWESOME. Keep your eyes peeled for that.  Google it in the meantime and check out what it's about.
I discovered at this year's sxsw that documentary shorts rule. I'd definitely check out the wholphin dvd's if I were you.
Music docs I love: End Of The Century: The Story Of The Ramones, The Filth and The Fury, Be Here to Love Me (Townes Van Zandt), The Devil & Daniel Johnston, You're Gonna Miss Me (Roky Erickson).
And this looks awesome. I cannot wait to see it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZMLs8Ke40[/youtube]

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
I'm partial to Seven Up and its successors.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »
Some Number of Short Films About Glenn Gould

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:16:27 PM »
I'm partial to Seven Up and its successors.

Yeah I get teary eyed everytime they end with the "Give me a boy of 7 and I will show you the man"(or something like that). They're all on Netflix Instant I need to rewatch.
Also most Ross McElwee is on Instant Watch. I'd love to hear what you guys think of him. I relate heavily to a lot of his work.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »
The films which I so bravely suggest here aren't lighthearted fare for sheeple to numb their slave-minds with. Instead these stories offer tools for real posi-action, information that will empower the proletariat down in the gutter with the rats and the uneducated garbage, where they are stepped on day after day of their miserable lives by imperial overlords who feed them cheeseburgers made out of non-biodegradable plastic.

Note: While most of these aren't brand new they're still relevant, some even more so now.

First on the list, and at the top with a bullet, is The Corporation. Everyone should go download the free "Filmmakers Official Download Edition" located RIGHT HERE. It's as clear a message about whats wrong with the world as I've seen to date.

What's more:

The Take - Inspirational story about workers in Argentina running their own abandoned factories. Blueprint for revolution.
The Cove - Exposé about the ongoing Japanese dolphin massacre. Won an Oscar, but won't stop a thing till enough people see it.
Food Inc. - The terrifying story of how our very nourishment is being warped for profit and power. If you eat, you have to watch this.
Capitalism: A Love Story - I'm sure you have your own opinions on this, but it's worth watching.
Endgame: Blueprint for Global Enslavement - I seriously hesitate to add this, Alex Jones is a despicable, often batshit insane man, but there are some points here underneath that worth hearing.

Then some fun:

Tyson - A long form analysis of the real person behind the monster that is Mike Tyson. Fascinating and well made.
The Kid Stays In The Picture - If Robert Evans isn't one of your heroes or villains already, he will be after this. Based on Bob Odenkirk's performance as God.
Heckler - Mentioned on the show, and featuring our own beloved Paul F. Tompkins.

I also second what Hugman said, Encounters At The End of The World creates the most perfect relaxing feeling every time I watch it. Better even than that movie about the bugs that they play on the wall at raves.

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
32 Short Films About Glenn Gould

More of a docudrama, isn't it?  But great nonetheless.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:56:22 PM »
Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould

More of a docudrama, isn't it?  But great nonetheless.

Yah, you got me.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »
The Herzog documentaries Fata Morgana, How much Wood would a Woodchuck chuck...(if you like the auction scene in Stroszek, see this one), The White Diamond, Wheel of Time, God's Angry Man(frightening) are all as good, if not better, than Encounters and have that same hypnotic value. Also Wild Blue Yonder is just amazing and feels like it's from another world.

Sarah

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
Yeah I get teary eyed everytime they end with the "Give me a boy of 7 and I will show you the man"(or something like that). They're all on Netflix Instant I need to rewatch.

Another reason for me to get Netflix.  I wonder what happened to the ongoing documentary about marriage in America that Apted started.  I saw the first installment what seems like a thousand years ago.  I think there was one more, and then the project fizzled.

Also, didn't intend to needle, Dave; just getting the facts straight.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »

Another reason for me to get Netflix.  I wonder what happened to the ongoing documentary about marriage in America that Apted started.  I saw the first installment what seems like a thousand years ago.  I think there was one more, and then the project fizzled.

Yeah I remember seeing this too but nothing stuck with me. I wish they would follow all the kids from Streetwise. Though they'd probably only live for a sequel.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »
There's one making the festival rounds right now called Marwencol which is AWESOME. Keep your eyes peeled for that.  Google it in the meantime and check out what it's about.

Wasn't he featured in an episode of the TV This American Life? I know I've seen the documented somewhere. It looks like it'll have the interesting charm of In the Realms of the Unreal.

Barry Egan

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
-Crumb
-Red Without Blue
-Burden of Dreams
-The Fog of War

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »

Wasn't he featured in an episode of the TV This American Life? I know I've seen the documented somewhere. It looks like it'll have the interesting charm of In the Realms of the Unreal.

Oh yes, that's right.