Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104389 times)

Paul DePhiladelphia

Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »
Fearless Freaks is good too. I'm not a Flaming Lips fan, but it's a good music doc. (I suppose music docs could be a separate thread. But what the hell do I care.)

Yeh movies like this and The Devil and Daniel Johnston make me realize how important it is that people keep logs of their lives. Unfortunately if I ever become infamous there won't be much of a paper trail a documentarian can follow.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 11:24:01 PM »
I never got around to watching it but i remember one from a 3 or 4 years ago called The Bridge that a lot of people were talking about.

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8muNsj1oUpY  [/youtube]

Didn't see Harlan County, USA mentioned but most people have probably already seen it.

MikeInManhattan

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
I never got around to watching it but i remember one from a 3 or 4 years ago called The Bridge that a lot of people were talking about.

Didn't see Harlan County, USA mentioned but most people have probably already seen it.

Great documentary. Awesome companion to the film Matewan (one of my faves).

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »

Great documentary. Awesome companion to the film Matewan (one of my faves).

The preview alone put a pit in my stomach. This looks like it could be really good or a heavy-handed Faces of Death. Not sure whether I should see it.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work is worth checking out.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:55 AM »
Journey - Frontiers and Beyond '83 - NFL films produced this amazing document of Journey's last tour as the Journey we know and love. It's amazing, start to finish, out of print, but you can see it in 10 parts on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihAdAlSDLR8

-Ajax

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 04:32:32 PM »
Pray the Devil Back to Hell was excellent...

http://www.praythedevilbacktohell.com/v3/
from the land of pleasant living

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
Pray the Devil Back to Hell was excellent...

http://www.praythedevilbacktohell.com/v3/
Looks amazing! I had a neighbor whose daughter was doing aid work in Liberia. You could see the fear flicker across his face just thinking about her being there. I would like to visit that part of Africa.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
Most of my suggestions have already been posted (The Devil & Daniel Johnston, Danielson, Spellbound...etc), but I did see Exit Through the Gift Shop recently and it's my favorite this year. The doc about the The Gits is pretty amazing and I've heard that HYPE! is streaming on Netflix now. Been wanting to see that one for like 10 years now...
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »
Most of my suggestions have already been posted (The Devil & Daniel Johnston, Danielson, Spellbound...etc), but I did see Exit Through the Gift Shop recently and it's my favorite this year. The doc about the The Gits is pretty amazing and I've heard that HYPE! is streaming on Netflix now. Been wanting to see that one for like 10 years now...

Hype! isn't that the one about the whole "grunge" thing?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »
Le Monde du silence

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2010, 11:56:43 PM »

Hype! isn't that the one about the whole "grunge" thing?

It is! I've only seen bits and pieces of it on youtube and I heard it was out of print for awhile (I could be wrong on that though).
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

Pidgeon

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »
Small Town Gay Bar
The Endless Summer

Also, I watched In the Realms of the Unreal with my mom. I really wished the naked little girl drawings hadn't taken up thirty minutes worth, but I guess there was very little they had to work with.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On.  The guy in that is a real nutcase.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On.  The guy in that is a real nutcase.

Speaking of nutcases, "I Like Killing Flies" is good. I'm not gonna say it's my all-time favorites, but I was entertained.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling