Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104384 times)

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
I don't think anyone mentioned The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On.  The guy in that is a real nutcase.

Good call. Excellent documentary. I know (think?) we've discussed it in the General Movie thread at some point.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:14 AM »
I don't think anyone mentioned The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On.  The guy in that is a real nutcase.

It should be noted that Herzog stated this is one of his favorite films. This and Cane Toads: An Unnatural History, which is great as well.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
Cane Toads: An Unnatural History, which is great as well.

I catch those toads and stick them in the freezer.

Is that activity covered in the movie?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »

Why?

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »

Why?

That's just the way it's done down there.
Cane Toads doesn't cover that but it does cover the loud popping sounds that generates from cars driving over a road covered in toads.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »

Why?

If you hit them with a shovel they explode and spray a stinging fluid all over the place.

Now to answer your real question:  They are a poisonous and an invasive species that can disrupt/destroy entire eco-systems. 

I may be there only natural predator.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
I recently had the chance to see I Am Comic, a new documentary about stand-up comedy. I thought it was great - it examines the craft and technical side of stand-up, as well as the lifestyle of the road comic. TONS of people are in it: Sarah Silverman, Carlos Mencia, Tim Allen, Roseanne Barr, Scott Aukerman, Jeff Foxworthy, Todd Barry (a brief appearance only), Brett Weinbach, Todd Glass, the Sklar Brothers, Margaret Cho, and lots more.

It has a weird digression about halfway through, but even that digression manages to be pretty interesting. 

catass

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
Capturing the Friedmans is a pretty amazing documentary, and seems to reside squarely in the Mike crowd's wheelhouse.  What started out as a documentary about childrens' birthday party clowns ends up chronicling a family accused of hundreds of counts of child molestation.  The film takes so many odd bounces w/r/t who seems to be trustworthy, but the director doesn't really come across as overly manipulative - its just a really compelling, strange story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10VjJgx1dU&feature=related

Pidgeon

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »
Capturing the Friedmans is a pretty amazing documentary, and seems to reside squarely in the Mike crowd's wheelhouse.  What started out as a documentary about childrens' birthday party clowns ends up chronicling a family accused of hundreds of counts of child molestation.  The film takes so many odd bounces w/r/t who seems to be trustworthy, but the director doesn't really come across as overly manipulative - its just a really compelling, strange story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10VjJgx1dU&feature=related

Even if the oldest brother somehow was innocent, he's still one of the biggest mutants I've ever witnessed. The fact that he was so giddy before and after his trial was terrifying.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
Any thoughts on Catfish? It's the best movie I've seen all year. The brothers did a Q&A after and it is baffling that it is all genuine. I'd like to know what you guys think.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
Any thoughts on Catfish? It's the best movie I've seen all year. The brothers did a Q&A after and it is baffling that it is all genuine. I'd like to know what you guys think.

It's a big fake! The way these douchy brothers went there to half-gloat, half-pity this made up family is just sad. They have two constantly moaning disabled children? Really...
And the husband just told this story about the catfish on the spot? Really... And the woman has the time to make these gits believe there is an entire social network surrounding them by just spending a couple of hours in the evening on the phone and computer? Is she that good? Even if it is real, i don't give much of rip about this story.
Queue all the half truths and common knowledge about how the internet is changing out way of social interaction and you have the gist of this "doc".
But thaaats my life...

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »

It's a big fake! The way these douchy brothers went there to half-gloat, half-pity this made up family is just sad. They have two constantly moaning disabled children? Really...
And the husband just told this story about the catfish on the spot? Really... And the woman has the time to make these gits believe there is an entire social network surrounding them by just spending a couple of hours in the evening on the phone and computer? Is she that good? Even if it is real, i don't give much of rip about this story.
Queue all the half truths and common knowledge about how the internet is changing out way of social interaction and you have the gist of this "doc".
But thaaats my life...

Well it's all real, she did, he did and to call them 'constantly moaning disabled children' is pretty offensive.
It's no use trying to back these up to you because you obviously didn't care for the film. But I can say they addressed all of your points in the Q&A. They also told us that she had done this to other people too but it never went this far. They said that since the movie they have recieved endless emails from people claiming the same thing happened to them though more commonly they are from girls. It's not unbelievable at all really, just that they happened to film the whole thing.
It was originally going to end with the brothers suprising the girl at one of her art shows. Then the youtube song scene caused the film to go in another, more interesting direction.
They also pointed out how hard it is to get it taken seriously because of the terribly misleading trailer and the success of I'm Still Here.
The husband was a little slow as you could tell and they said he was full of stories and this story about the catfish came out and they decided it summarized the film well.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »

But thaaats my life...

Well it's all real, she did, he did and to call them 'constantly moaning disabled children' is pretty offensive.
It's no use trying to back these up to you because you obviously didn't care for the film. But I can say they addressed all of your points in the Q&A. They also told us that she had done this to other people too but it never went this far. They said that since the movie they have recieved endless emails from people claiming the same thing happened to them though more commonly they are from girls. It's not unbelievable at all really, just that they happened to film the whole thing.
It was originally going to end with the brothers suprising the girl at one of her art shows. Then the youtube song scene caused the film to go in another, more interesting direction.
They also pointed out how hard it is to get it taken seriously because of the terribly misleading trailer and the success of I'm Still Here.
The husband was a little slow as you could tell and they said he was full of stories and this story about the catfish came out and they decided it summarized the film well.

To go point by point:
1. To call the children constantly moaning is offensive indeed. So is the footage they took to display them. Count how many times they are displayed unsettlingly.
2. Show the emails, link them to people who give testimony and show that there is no prior connection to the brothers.
3.My argument stems from a general principal: All of film is manufactured. An artistic product removed from reality, even if it is trying to display it. So skepticism is healthy when dealing with this kind presentation.
Therefore i ask myself what would be probable to coincide in this setting.
I do not think that a mother of several children would have the time nor, to be honest, the finesse to create this illusion. But if she did produce the documentation. Copy your facebook- and phone-data if you want to end the rumors.
I do not think that the catfish story just landed beneath their feet. It is too fitting and reeks of design instead of coincidence.
But if you can really put all my doubts to rest, then please do. I do believe in a lot of scientifically proven improbable things, but evidence has to be produced.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
Fair enough. You are apparently from Missouri(The Show It To Me State) on this one. I think it's fair how you think. I guess the Q&A proved to convince me a little more to it's authenticity. Don't get me wrong though, I still have my doubts and you bring up good points. But I really enjoyed it and honestly I don't think those guys are capable of fabricating this much. See I also like I'm Still Here and am a lover of intense documentaries in general. So like I'm Still Here I thought this is either a really great real documentary or and insane fictional film. Both I find worth watching.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
Fair enough. You are apparently from Missouri(The Show It To Me State) on this one. I think it's fair how you think. I guess the Q&A proved to convince me a little more to it's authenticity. Don't get me wrong though, I still have my doubts and you bring up good points. But I really enjoyed it and honestly I don't think those guys are capable of fabricating this much. See I also like I'm Still Here and am a lover of intense documentaries in general. So like I'm Still Here I thought this is either a really great real documentary or and insane fictional film. Both I find worth watching.

Ok well, i guess i have a different attitude toward the two possibilities: If it is real, it is truly an amazing story which i would love, much like the story of Frank Abagnale. I could overlook my disdain for the brothers and take it for what it is.
If on the other hand it is fraudulent and these characters have played a trick on me i would hate them for it. Their preachy message, their terrible fraud and the way they present themselves.

If you would give me only one point to make about this, i would make this one:
Consider the time you would have to spend to replicate, only replicate not invent, the amount of information a social network of 15 friends generates. Do you think you would be up to the task even if you had all day?
Could anyone generate a credible illusion of 15 distinct interacting people all with separate private information about one another and pictures to boot?
Thats a pretty long con, that has the potential for an enormous amount of errors.
Three people are observing this social network and are brought into it, without noticing anything. How is that possible?
And there was never a coincidence of 2 people of her catalogue having to interact at the same time with the guys?
I do not think that is credible or indeed these three guys are the most gullible people on the face of the earth...