Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104868 times)

dovate

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
At risk of shameless self promotion, a documentary that I worked on will be screening at the IFC center on March 29th. The movie has a great backstory, and although biased, I think it's a great movie.

The director self financed it by cleaning houses in Philly. He had no connections, no money, nothing but will, talent and a refusal to quit. By some stroke of something, the movie was accepted to the Sundance Film Fest and won Best Director in its category. The doc itself is about cryptic street messages that have appeared in streets in Philadelphia, NY, Baltimore, DC, Kansas City, Buenos Aries, Rio and dozens of other places over the past 30 years. Mostly, it's a character driven mystery.

The director wrote, edited, produced, color/sound corrected and shot pretty much all of it himself. He taught himself how to write a score... because he couldn't afford to hire anyone. And its an amazing score. I don't see an embed option on the wysiwyg thing here. You can read more on the movie and watch a couple clips at imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787791/

If you're in the New York area and interested, you can get tickets here:

http://stfdocs.com/films/resurrect_dead_the_mystery_of_the_toynbee_tiles

Thanks all!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
I watched Best Worst Movie the other day.  Quite enjoyable.  Thanks Omar.

Next up Troll II.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Rasmussen

• Policemans heel
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
Next up Troll II.
You really don't have to do that, Fredericks.

After tonight's show, I plan on watching Chernobyl Heart, which I've been told is one of the most depressing things ever.  So that'll be fun.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:34 AM »
Next up Troll II.

I KNEW that was a documentary!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
At risk of shameless self promotion, a documentary that I worked on will be screening at the IFC center on March 29th. The movie has a great backstory, and although biased, I think it's a great movie.

The director self financed it by cleaning houses in Philly. He had no connections, no money, nothing but will, talent and a refusal to quit. By some stroke of something, the movie was accepted to the Sundance Film Fest and won Best Director in its category. The doc itself is about cryptic street messages that have appeared in streets in Philadelphia, NY, Baltimore, DC, Kansas City, Buenos Aries, Rio and dozens of other places over the past 30 years. Mostly, it's a character driven mystery.

The director wrote, edited, produced, color/sound corrected and shot pretty much all of it himself. He taught himself how to write a score... because he couldn't afford to hire anyone. And its an amazing score. I don't see an embed option on the wysiwyg thing here. You can read more on the movie and watch a couple clips at imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787791/

If you're in the New York area and interested, you can get tickets here:

http://stfdocs.com/films/resurrect_dead_the_mystery_of_the_toynbee_tiles

Thanks all!

I'm in Columbia, MO where they just had the True/False doc. festival, and some guys I know were raving about this. Can't wait to see it.

dovate

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »
Thanks! I couldn't go to True/False, but it did really well there.

Also, I actually watched Troll II for the first time at Sundance... on someone's laptop... at our rented apartment. Looking back, maybe we should have gone to more of the festival movies and events. Troll II was still good though.

Yinka D.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »
Billy the Kid
The Cruise
Salesman
A Film Unfinished

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
Billy the Kid
The Cruise
Salesman
A Film Unfinished

I second the first three, havent seen the fourth yet.

David

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
Lake of Fire
Hoop Dreams
Project Grizzly/Grizzly Man for the "Too scared of nature/not scared enough of nature" double feature.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
Billy the Kid
The Cruise
Salesman
A Film Unfinished

I second the first three, havent seen the fourth yet.

I started it.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »
Brother's Keeper. Sort of like what would happen if the Wonderful Whites lived to age 85.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
Brother's Keeper. Sort of like what would happen if the Wonderful Whites lived to age 85.

I remember very little of Brother's Keeper. Didn't Warren Ellis do the music? I remember it being awesome.

I love Billy the Kid. "To me, crime doesn't pay."

Mike from Western Maine

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »
Billy the Kid is amazing.

Speaking of Maine-based docs, I really recommend Knee Deep. (http://www.kneedeepthedoc.com/)

A "murder mystery" that's also a strange, sad and often very funny look at a hard (and fast-disappearing) rural way of life.

boil

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
Lessons of Darkness of course!  I can't believe nobody's mentioned it.

dcgut

• Policemans heel
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
I watched Stevie last night. Good bit difficult to watch (due to the teeth).