Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104400 times)

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
The Cruise was great. Sometimes I am baffled by things I never knew existed. I remember this dude in Waking Life and a Weezer live performance of The Sweater Song but I never knew his back story.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »
Who Took the Bomp? Le Tigre on Tour (out on DVD 6/7/11)

http://www.oscilloscope.net/films/film/46/Who-Took-the-Bompc-Le-Tigre-on-Tour

A delightful, powerful, and often very funny 72 minutes.  In one classic scene, the band is hanging out in the dressing room with Hatebreed.  A guy who appears to be a roadie of some sort assures Hanna that staying in bed and reading home decorating magazines is in fact a perfectly legitimate form of "raging."

"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »
Hoop Dreams, was that mentioned?  It's on ESPN Classic now.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2011, 06:33:12 AM »
Adam Curtis' new documentary "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" has started, meaning that the first part is out and the next one airs coming Monday. The first episode was about how Ayn Rand influenced Internet/Computer Entrepreneurs and Alan Greenspan. Greatly entertaining I have to say, like all of Curtis' stuff.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
Nice to find another "Curtinite". I'm going to listen to that interview.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »
Anybody see the HBO doc Bobby Fischer Against the World? The scene where Dick Schaaps son and Bobby face off over comments his father made accusing him of not having a sane  bone in his body made me laugh out loud. The room just goes silent and you can see a camera man look around and quietly try to leave.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
I was curious which documentaries you guys hold dear.
I'll start by opening the discussion on a few of my favorite documentaries/documentarians. Have y'all seen the Paradise Lost films, Ross McElwee docus, Frederick Wiseman docus, or Streetwise?

The list goes on, any recs? I'd really like to hear y'alls thoughts on the West Memphis 3.

WM3 Update:

Fresh DNA evidence boosts defense in 1993 Arkansas slayings

By Suzi Parker
LITTLE ROCK, Ark | Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43pm EDT

Newly tested DNA evidence in the 1993 killings of three 8-year-old Cub Scouts in Arkansas has failed to link the crimes to the men convicted in the murders, including one on Death Row, advocates for the men said on Wednesday.

The DNA, including materials from the crime scene, instead matched three unidentified people, furthering supporters' claims that the so-called West Memphis Three are innocent, the advocates told Reuters.

There were no DNA matches for Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr, who were convicted of the crime, said Capi Peck, a co-founder of Arkansas Take Action, a civic group working to free the trio.

"This newly discovered DNA evidence that excludes Damien, Jason and Jessie, combined with all other evidence of their innocence, will hopefully lead to a new trial," she said.

A status report on the DNA was filed on Monday in Craighead County Circuit Court in Jonesboro, Arkansas.

The Arkansas Attorney General's office declined to comment, citing a gag order.

The murders of Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore rocked the community. At the time, police said the murders were Satanic in nature because the children's naked bodies had been bound and mutilated.

The West Memphis Three, who were teenagers at the time of the murders, have always maintained their innocence in the deaths of the boys in West Memphis, Arkansas, on the Arkansas-Tennessee border.

Echols was sentenced to death, while the other two men are serving life sentences. They have all now served close to 18 years in jail.

MATCHED TWO UNIDENTIFIED MALES

The new testing included materials from the crime scene and other evidence held by the Arkansas Crime Lab and police departments, said Lonnie Soury, adviser to Arkansas Take Action,

"It was tested and found DNA belonging to two unidentified males," Soury said, adding that a hair was also linked to a third unidentified person.

"That's further proof that they were not at the crime scene, nor were they involved in the murders," he said.

Soury said the defense team, which was also under a gag order, was also awaiting results from a fiber analysis on shoelaces used to bind the three boys.

The killings received international attention at the time. Two HBO documentaries have been produced about the murders, and a third is planned for later this year.

The case continues to generate celebrity activism. Last summer, punk legend Patti Smith, actor Johnny Depp and Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder appeared at a benefit for the West Memphis Three in Little Rock.

The Arkansas Supreme Court, in what legal experts said was a rare move, unanimously ordered a new evidentiary hearing in the case last November. It is scheduled for December in Craighead County, the site of the original trials.

The December hearing will allow DNA and other evidence whether it was introduced at the original trials or not.

Craighead County Court Judge David N. Laser, who was not the original trial judge, has banned cameras in the courtroom. There is currently an online petition drive to allow cameras.

"We would certainly support any effort to have cameras in the courtroom and the hearing being available to the public," Soury said. "This trial needs to be as transparent as possible."
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
Not a good part of the country to be weird in, in any way.  Three states vote more for Kerry than for Obama: Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma.  Apologies to Dave in his liberalesque hamlet with the university, but that is not a good sign for the increasing tolerance of the inland South.

I'm not sure these kids are ever going to see the light of day. 18 years.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2011, 10:12:44 PM »
Huh?

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
Saw Conan O'Brien Can't Stop a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great.  Was weird to see him letting the toilet language fly.

Am very, very excited about the impending release of Couldn't You Wait: The Story of Silkworm, about the incredible rock band Silkworm.

Not a good part of the country to be weird in, in any way.  Three states vote more for Kerry than for Obama: Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma.  Apologies to Dave in his liberalesque hamlet with the university, but that is not a good sign for the increasing tolerance of the inland South.

I hope they're finally released.  Everything about their original trial was an unbelievable sham, and I was floored that it was taking place right across the river from me.

For what it's worth, Memphis is a reasonable southern city.  Rural Tennessee tends to screw up state-level politics.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
Saw Conan O'Brien Can't Stop a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great.  Was weird to see him letting the toilet language fly.

Am very, very excited about the impending release of Couldn't You Wait: The Story of Silkworm, about the incredible rock band Silkworm.

I hope they're finally released.  Everything about their original trial was an unbelievable sham, and I was floored that it was taking place right across the river from me.

For what it's worth, Memphis is a reasonable southern city.  Rural Tennessee tends to screw up state-level politics.

Hmmm

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »

Hmmm

Maybe I should have said "another reasonable southern city" since there are a bunch--Knoxville among them!  I probably should have also prefaced my other comment by saying "in general" or something.  I don't want to step on any toes!
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »

Hmmm

Maybe I should have said "another reasonable southern city" since there are a bunch--Knoxville among them!  I probably should have also prefaced my other comment by saying "in general" or something.  I don't want to step on any toes!

Nah, it's OK, and probably truthful. I likely live at the epicenter of Michelle Bachmann fandom, and it sickens me.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
I like Memphis, think of Nashville as Dallas North and have only seen Knoxville out the window of a car. 

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
I like Memphis, think of Nashville as Dallas North and have only seen Knoxville out the window of a car.

That's the best way to see Knoxville, unless you're in Market Square, where we took Julie.