Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104417 times)

arthur

• Policemans heel
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »
I'm hoping to get around to that new R. Stevie Moore doc this weekend. Anyone seen it?

JamesfromSouthEastPa

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
I don't know if anybodies recommended these yet, but "Earthlings" (a documentary about factory farming) and "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" ( a doc about how Americans are physically ill from our diets) are two of my favorites.
10,9,8, 76ers!!!

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
On Netflix, "DMT: The Spirit Molecule."
This is the experience we are all missing.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
Yeah I get teary eyed everytime they end with the "Give me a boy of 7 and I will show you the man"(or something like that). They're all on Netflix Instant I need to rewatch.

Another reason for me to get Netflix.

You should definitely get Netflix Instant.

I can't recommend this highly enough (and if you're a fan of Tarantino, you'll have fun picking up on some of the things he stole from it):

American Boy - Martin Scorsese 1/6
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

rattkane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
King Corn
The City Dark
Who is Bozo Texino?

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
I was curious which documentaries you guys hold dear.
I'll start by opening the discussion on a few of my favorite documentaries/documentarians. Have y'all seen the Paradise Lost films, Ross McElwee docus, Frederick Wiseman docus, or Streetwise?
Also what do you guys think of the HBO docus like Smalltown Ecstacy, Black Tar Heroin, Dope Sick Love?
There are really tons.
Hell House is frightening as well as Jesus Camp.
The list goes on, any recs? I'd really like to hear y'alls thoughts on the West Memphis 3.

I had to chime and cause no one else commented on Small Town Ecstacy, that I saw.  What a great doc, very Mike and his ilk relevant.  Have you seen High on Crack street?  I think that was another of those HBO undercover stories. 

I've seen all the West Memphis Three movies, I just saw the newest one West of Memphis.  I highly recommend it.  Puts everything in context and makes the paradise lost series look all the more sensationalist.  Its easily my favorite of the movies on the WM3. 

I have to agree on all your other recommendations as well.  I'll have to finally finish streetwise when I get some time.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

I've seen all the West Memphis Three movies, I just saw the newest one West of Memphis.  I highly recommend it.  Puts everything in context and makes the paradise lost series look all the more sensationalist.  Its easily my favorite of the movies on the WM3. 

PL1 is by far the best of the WM3 docs, although PL2 may be my favorite due to the mindboggling "performance" by John Mark Byers.  I'm not sure there has ever been anyone innocent of a crime who behaved -- at least for a time -- in such a suspciously bizarre manner.  The case involved bite mark evidence, and he had all of his teeth removed and replaced after the first trial!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
I saw Grizzly Man last night - what an amazing film!  Captivating from start to finish.

I didn't like Cave of Forgotten Dreams, but is it possible for Werner Herzog to just come and interview me for a day and inject his emotionless thoughts about how I should live my life? I'm being serious.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
I saw Grizzly Man last night - what an amazing film!  Captivating from start to finish.

I didn't like Cave of Forgotten Dreams, but is it possible for Werner Herzog to just come and interview me for a day and inject his emotionless thoughts about how I should live my life? I'm being serious.

Now you've seen it, don't miss the Atari 2600 game version:

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
I enjoyed The People vs. George Lucas and Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox. I guess you could say I like documentaries about nuts.
See God, Kai

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
Werner Herzog must have been giddy beyond belief when he met that coroner.  What a stroke of luck!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
I enjoyed "Kumare", a documentary essentially about how belief works, based on a strong Ebert review.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »
I watched "There is something wrong about aunt Diane", which is a HBO-documentary.
It's well a well-made investigation into a truly shocking car accident, which on the face of it was caused by a female driver under influence, but the story truly does not add up.
Very mysterious!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
I watched "There is something wrong about aunt Diane", which is a HBO-documentary.
It's well a well-made investigation into a truly shocking car accident, which on the face of it was caused by a female driver under influence, but the story truly does not add up.
Very mysterious!

Essential viewing.  An incredibly haunting film.  HBO has released several other very good docs in the past couple of years (Hot Coffee, Sex Crimes Unit, Stare At My Face and Cry*).

*May not be the exact title.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Very mysterious!

Essential viewing.  An incredibly haunting film.  HBO has released several other very good docs in the past couple of years (Hot Coffee, Sex Crimes Unit, Stare At My Face and Cry*).

*May not be the exact title.

I saw all the documentaries in your list except for the last one, which I can't find unfortunately.
Could you investigate and give the full title?
I would be very inclined to search that one out.

Also another really haunting one about " folie a deux" is "Madness in the fast lane". It's a BBC-documentary.