Author Topic: Documentary recs  (Read 104381 times)

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Documentary recs
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
Jon Ronson's doc "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes" is really good.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »
Has anyone watched that Vampire mockumentary thing? It looks like it has gotten mostly good reviews, but I keep thinking that it can't really be good.

If you are referring to "What We Do In The Shadows" starring Jemaine "Flight of the Concords" Clement and Taika "Boy" Waititi, I can confirm that it is nothing short of terrific and that all Best Show fans would enjoy this playful romp into the world of the New Zealand undead community.

My wife, who hates comedy, watched it twice.

Yes, its probably the funniest movie I've seen so far this year.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2015, 04:44:05 PM »
Richard Stanley is also a goofball, but his own documentary work from the late 80s is worth checking out.  He did one short film (or it may have been a small series) about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan called Voices of the Moon that is incredibly haunting.

I watched Hardware last night and it was pretty wild. He certainly has the eye for film-making, I just wish he would have taken another shot at something really strange. I also didn't know that he dresses like a weird mixture of Frank Miller and 90's Neil Gaiman and that makes me love him all the more.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
I started "Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's" last night and it was fine, albeit a little scattered in focus and style, which seems deeply ironic. It needed an editor. I might be the only FOT interested in this thing.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
This is on amazon instant now, so looking forward to finally watching

http://www.fallenangeldoc.com/

If you could combine the onstage magnetism of Mick Jagger, the lyrical brilliance of Bob Dylan and the personal fragility of Brian Wilson, you would only have begun to scratch of the surface of Larry Norman.

FALLEN ANGEL: The OUTLAW LARRY NORMAN recounts the rise of the father of Christian rock music as the rock 'n' roll Billy Graham' of the 1970s through to the height of success as the visionary behind Solid Rock Records before a personal meltdown and subsequent fall from grace exiled him to the margins of the Christian subculture he helped create.
A study in polar contrasts, Larry Norman's story presents the viewer with a complex character grappling with the price of genius, the struggle made all the more difficult because Norman chose to make his mark within a religious subculture struggling to define its place within the world. Too religious for the rock 'n' rollers but too rock 'n' roll for the religious crowd, Larry Norman is the perpetual outsider, ultimately imploding under the weight of trying to fuse his position as the musical voice of the Jesus movement with his desire for '70s rock superstar status. Is he the misunderstood musical prophet of the Christian world? Is he an outlaw conning the faithful? Larry Norman is a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction.
Told mainly from the perspective of those who worked with him and loved him during the height of his success, feel the power of the music he created as refracted through the inconsistencies of the life he led. Experience the forgiveness offered by those most hurt and witness a glimmer of grace against the backdrop of moral failure. Fallen Angel is a rock n' roll epic of biblical proportions.
Fallen Angel is the second documentary by Canadian documentary filmmaker David Di Sabatino. His first release Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher garnered an Emmy nomination and has been played on PBS-affiliate KQED in San Francisco since 2006.
Fallen Angel tells the story of Christian rock 'n' roll icon Larry Norman from his early days as the lead singer of a popular San Jose-based band named People through his emergence as a "Jesus Music" icon in the early 1970s. The movie centers on his establishment of Solid Rock Records in the mid-1970s and culminates with his death in early 2008.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:42 PM »
This is on amazon instant now, so looking forward to finally watching

http://www.fallenangeldoc.com/

If you could combine the onstage magnetism of Mick Jagger, the lyrical brilliance of Bob Dylan and the personal fragility of Brian Wilson, you would only have begun to scratch of the surface of Larry Norman.

FALLEN ANGEL: The OUTLAW LARRY NORMAN recounts the rise of the father of Christian rock music as the rock 'n' roll Billy Graham' of the 1970s through to the height of success as the visionary behind Solid Rock Records before a personal meltdown and subsequent fall from grace exiled him to the margins of the Christian subculture he helped create.
A study in polar contrasts, Larry Norman's story presents the viewer with a complex character grappling with the price of genius, the struggle made all the more difficult because Norman chose to make his mark within a religious subculture struggling to define its place within the world. Too religious for the rock 'n' rollers but too rock 'n' roll for the religious crowd, Larry Norman is the perpetual outsider, ultimately imploding under the weight of trying to fuse his position as the musical voice of the Jesus movement with his desire for '70s rock superstar status. Is he the misunderstood musical prophet of the Christian world? Is he an outlaw conning the faithful? Larry Norman is a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction.
Told mainly from the perspective of those who worked with him and loved him during the height of his success, feel the power of the music he created as refracted through the inconsistencies of the life he led. Experience the forgiveness offered by those most hurt and witness a glimmer of grace against the backdrop of moral failure. Fallen Angel is a rock n' roll epic of biblical proportions.
Fallen Angel is the second documentary by Canadian documentary filmmaker David Di Sabatino. His first release Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher garnered an Emmy nomination and has been played on PBS-affiliate KQED in San Francisco since 2006.
Fallen Angel tells the story of Christian rock 'n' roll icon Larry Norman from his early days as the lead singer of a popular San Jose-based band named People through his emergence as a "Jesus Music" icon in the early 1970s. The movie centers on his establishment of Solid Rock Records in the mid-1970s and culminates with his death in early 2008.

Sweet, just added it. Ive been on an Azitis kick lately.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »
Grew up in a Baptist-run small Southern town, so got a real aversion to anything that even skirts the line into Christian culture.  But just checked this out and the Brian Wilson comparison is no exaggeration.

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
My dad would be so into that Larry Norman doc.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #263 on: November 15, 2015, 08:36:28 AM »
I was so glad they mentioned The Nightmare on this week's show, its pretty good even though I liked Room 237 better.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »
I recently enjoyed Blondie's New York and The Sunset Strip
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
The new documentary "Baristas" is so ridiculous it could be sold as a Christopher Guest film and no one would question it. 
And I love hipster coffee and barista culture.  This is, well, it's just the absolute worst of that. 

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #266 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »
Rubble Kings on Netflix is alright.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »
Did anyone on here mention Finders/Keepers yet? It was hilarious, tragic, and beautiful. Never has a severed leg moved me so much.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

euphoriafish

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »
Do American Splendour and Crumb count as documentaries?  Anyway, I'll be back when I remember what I watched on Netflix that isn't Exit Through the Gift Shop.  There was one about a dive restaurant owner in Brooklyn that was fun.  And for the future, I'm looking for This is a True Story, about the Japanese woman who died of cold exposure in Minnesota and used a hunt for the treasure from Fargo as a cover story before she became the inspiration for the film Kumiko the treasure hunter.
Looking for keyboard lute bandmates in Lord of the Rings Online to play songs from Spaced Out (Shatner and Nimoy) and any other greatest hits.  Find Percabald on Brandywine server most days 9-12 US cst, O to friend, IM to IM.  30 min maybe to new hobbit minstrel with lute.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »
Do American Splendour and Crumb count as documentaries? 

Hell, YES. Just because American Splendor uses actors instead of "talking head" interviews or animation doesn't mean it isn't a documentary. Culloden (1964) by Peter Watkins has a film crew at the 1746 battle, so everybody's an actor, but it is more of a documentary reconstruction of a society (the Scottish Highlanders' feudal system vs. the rising English power) at a breaking point.

Watch it and you will see what I'm getting at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KaE2CAkk4Q