Author Topic: Polvo  (Read 13043 times)

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Polvo
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:20:05 PM »
Dear Tom,
Do you think Polvo will ever reunite?  Also, what did you think of Shapes?  My friend sez it's proggy.  I think it's great.  Sure, Downtown Dedication is totally progged out but the rest is unmistakable Polvo even if it is a bit hifalutin' in spots.

P.S.  Prepare to be smoked at Burger Time.  Or should I say flame-broiled at Burger Time!

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Polvo
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:45:27 PM »
I am not Tom, but did you know that Dave from Polvo is playing in a band called the Black Taj?

Check them out at www.myspace.com/blacktajrock .

I love Polvo.

Jeremy.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

John Junk

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:29:16 PM »
I am also not Tom
But Polvo is one of my all-time favorites.
And Shapes sucks!
I do know that Tom doesn't like Polvo-kind-a-likes Arches of Loaf.  Well, neither do I really.
-John

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »
My third favorite tee shirt in high school was what may or may not have been a Polvo shirt. It said "Polvo de La Escoba" on it, it was blue and orange, and it had a marginally sexy witch on it. Also, it was form-fitting and not boxy or too tight! I loved that shirt.

I think I got it at Miami Twice. I used to browse in there after grabbing my weekly haul of comics at A & M.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
I hated Shapes when it came out. 

Over the years I have softened on it and now like it. 

I think their best stuff are those two eps (Celebrate the new Dark Age/This Eclipse) that came out between Today's Active Lifestyles and Exploded Drawing.  Thats some hot stuff.

I like Archers too, although I have friends that think of them as Polvo soundalikes.  Archers have weird guitars but are far more melodic and poppy.  Polvo are like indie Rush. ( in  a good way )

Thats my two cents..

Jeremy..

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:02:04 PM »
Lets keep talking about Polvo alot.

They are one of only eight bands from the mid ninties that haven't mounted a reunion tour over the last three years.

Lets start a petition!

Jeremy.

awww damn

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
today's active lifestyles is the GOAT. "stinger (five wigs)" is especially epic, the outro kills me

love love love polvo

John Junk

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
I found a tape of Today's Active Lifestyles in  a Sam Goody at the Willowbrook Mall somehow.  I bought it based solely on a review in Spin.  Seriously, this band changed how I thought about the guitar.  This album is one of my all time favorites.  "Time Isn't On My Side"  is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

awww damn

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »
"Time Isn't On My Side"  is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

yeah that's a great one. 'thermal treasure' is a a perfect way to open the album too.

i used to have the cd with the lion heads on the cover

unfortunately it was lost in the vortex of a breakup a few years ago

John Junk

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 02:39:42 PM »
My tape had the lion heads, and my cd had the lion heads.  I think I have the case somewhere, but the cd is shot to hell.  It would've been worth 30 dollars in 25 years if I had only taken care of it.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 04:13:33 PM »
My friends and I followed Polvo around for a few shows on the Exploded Drawing tour.
It was amazing, we asked Ash if he would play lazy comet the second night and he said that he couldn't remember how to play anything off their first two albums. 

JK

evan (giggles)

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »
polvo are wonderful. the 3x7" set (celebrate the new dark age), todays active lifestyles and exploded drawing are three incredible albums. i don't like shapes too much, but it can still be an enjoyable listen.

also, ash's stint in helium (although he played bass) coincided with what i believe to be their best album (magic city). so good!

John Junk

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »
I'm a Dirt of Luck fan myself, but Magic City is good too.  The Superball EP is righteous.

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 01:06:07 AM »
yeah that's a great one. 'thermal treasure' is a a perfect way to open the album too.

Long ago, I had this misguided notion that I was John Cusack, and put "Thermal Treasure" on a carefully crafted mixtape I made for a girl I was sadly trying to impress. I excitedly popped it into her tapedeck at the beginning of a roadtrip, only to have my confidence shattered when she said something to the effect of "what the fuck is this? it sounds like you tuning up your guitar or something...but at least this sounds better".

In case you might be wondering...no, that mixtape did not get me laid. But she did end up marrying a guy who liked Pearl Jam so much, he got a fucking tattoo of them on his forearm.

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »
I own every Helium album (and EPs), but I could only stomach listening to The Magic City once. I totally love pre-Magic City Helium, but the Dungeons and Dragons crap really started oozing out with that record, and i never listened to it again.

Is this one of those "you'll-only-appreciate-it-after-listening-to-it-4000-times" kind of records?