Author Topic: Polvo  (Read 13039 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Polvo
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
I'm a Dirt of Luck fan myself, but Magic City is good too.  The Superball EP is righteous.

The Dirt of Luck is one of the best albums of all-time.  The Magic City is almost as awesome. 

My first exposure to Helium was Beavis and Butt-Head commenting on the "XXX" video from the Pirate Prude EP.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »
I totally agree with bookem_dan-o about Helium. I loved the stuff where she was a cool, slightly dirty rocker chick. Then it got a little to D&D for my tastes.

bruce

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 11:14:02 AM »
But what you are forgetting folks is that Helium stunk live. What works really well on album does not carry over well in a club atmosphere.

evan (giggles)

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
I own every Helium album (and EPs), but I could only stomach listening to The Magic City once. I totally love pre-Magic City Helium, but the Dungeons and Dragons crap really started oozing out with that record, and i never listened to it again.

Is this one of those "you'll-only-appreciate-it-after-listening-to-it-4000-times" kind of records?

I don't know if it's one of those, I liked it a bit the first I listened to it, and a lot more the second time.

I assume the "Dungeons and Dragons" crap deals with the lyrical content? To be perfectly honest, I've never listened to the words that much, but I will focus on them exclusively next to I drop the needle.

Laurie

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
Hey, what's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons?

John Junk

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 01:11:10 PM »
But what you are forgetting folks is that Helium stunk live. What works really well on album does not carry over well in a club atmosphere.

I've never forgotten how much they stunk live.  It's been a lifelong regret of mine that I saw Helium twice and Polvo nonce.  

The "D&D" stuff on the Magic City always struck me as strictly metaphorical and slightly tongue in cheek.  Pavement was writing songs about Cotton Mather (Pacific Trim EP) and the Civil War around this time, and Timony was writing songs in the style of early Puritan American short stories about Satan.  It seems to me more old-timey Salem Witch Trial type stuff then D&D stuff.  Ayway, Magic City has some great sonic touches, though I suppose there are one or two stinkers.

"XXX" is one of the greatest indie rock songs ever.

Everyone I've ever met has always shrugged off Helium.  I'm pretty psyched there are other people that actually like them.  And FOT's no less!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
I think the new Mary Timony Band record is her most Helium-y thing since, um, Helium.

Re: Laurie's "Hey, what's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons?"  If Daniel Desario digs it, it can't be that bad ...

Harris Trinsky = best dungeon master eva.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Laurie

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »

Re: Laurie's "Hey, what's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons?"  If Daniel Desario digs it, it can't be that bad ...

Harris Trinsky = best dungeon master eva.

Exactly! Carlos the Dwarf REIGNS.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
I saw Helium live once and they were good.
Last year Mary Timony opened up for Spoon at the Phoenix and she was kinda boring, but not bad.  She just played with a drummer.  I got her last album but never got that into it.

A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

bruce

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »
I saw Timony live with that drummer a few summers ago. But she had a real bad slot. After Teddy Rockstar solo and before Lightning Bolt.

TL the AS220 fest on the street. Fun in the sun.

Also I saw Polvo like twice can't remember much though. They were just one of the bands on the bill.

John Junk

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 02:00:05 PM »
Man, I saw Spoon at Arthurfest and they were a whole lot of not-exciting live.  Just seemed like the one dude and his amiable indie rock hired-hands banging out the hits for the fans.  and I really liked the last couple of albums, but that show kinda drained out my enthusiasm for them.  I was like "Wait, Britt Daniels just seems like a nerd with tight pants on."  Like there was some indie rock Clay Aitken shit going on with his sex appeal.

evan (giggles)

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 03:36:54 PM »
for those who didn't see polvo live, you should take a moment to seek out some of their cover tunes...namely, "rock me amadeus"

i think i might still have a copy buried on my hard-drive if anyone is interested...

kenkwan

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 03:59:33 PM »
Man, I saw Spoon at Arthurfest and they were a whole lot of not-exciting live.  Just seemed like the one dude and his amiable indie rock hired-hands banging out the hits for the fans.  and I really liked the last couple of albums, but that show kinda drained out my enthusiasm for them.  I was like "Wait, Britt Daniels just seems like a nerd with tight pants on."  Like there was some indie rock Clay Aitken shit going on with his sex appeal.

I've only left two shows. One was Spoon. I thought they we're boring, and they also looked bored. The only other show I left during was Bonnie "Prince" Billy, or whatever Oldham was calling himself. I liked the show, but it was so long. He played forever.

John Junk

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 04:00:58 PM »
I forgot!  The actual first time I heard Polvo was their cover of "Mexican Radio" for a charity comp. that was all indie rockers doing eighties songs.  It also had Yo La Tengo doing Dreamin' by Blondie and Sonic Youth doin' that song that's in French Sah Plah Por Moi or whatever.  The one that's in National Lampoon's European Vacation I think.  Can't remember the name of that tape right now but it was awesome.  Muff's did "Rock'n'Roll Girl".  

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
I saw Timony live with that drummer a few summers ago. But she had a real bad slot.

I'm going to resist as much as humanly possible to make a crass, juvenile joke about Mary Timony's "real bad slot".

And there's nothing wrong with D & D...I just don't think it should be set to music. If I want to hear that, I'll go dust off my old cassette copies of "Caress of Steel" or "A Farewell to Kings"

Besides, I was always a Car Wars and Gamma World fan my own self...