Author Topic: Polvo  (Read 13033 times)

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Polvo
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 06:09:31 PM »
I never saw Helium live in the flesh (the best band that we've managed to delude into playing out here in the past 10 years is Shellac, which was mondo-surreal to see), but I own several Helium boots, and Bruce is right on the money regarding Helium being a shit band live. It disappoints me so much that I don't even bother searching down helium bootlegs on Soulseek and whatnot.

The first time I was exposed to Helium was back in the old MTV "120 Minutes" days...it must have been when Pirate Prude first came out. I totally remember it like it was yesterday...Thurston Moore was hosting the show, and they played "XXX". Mary instantly became my first serious indie-rock crush (though I had a disturbing "thing" for Kristen Hersh a few years earlier).

I'm glad Thurston was pretentious enough to mention the fact that that Mary used to be in Autoclave. I love that Autoclave record a lot.

bruce

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 09:42:52 PM »
I forgot!  The actual first time I heard Polvo was their cover of "Mexican Radio" for a charity comp. that was all indie rockers doing eighties songs.  It also had Yo La Tengo doing Dreamin' by Blondie and Sonic Youth doin' that song that's in French Sah Plah Por Moi or whatever.  The one that's in National Lampoon's European Vacation I think.  Can't remember the name of that tape right now but it was awesome.  Muff's did "Rock'n'Roll Girl".  
I had that same CD John. It was called Freedom Of Choice. On it was a bit of the Orson Welles tape of him berating some sound engineer on one of the tracks

John Junk

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 01:15:27 PM »
I forgot!  The actual first time I heard Polvo was their cover of "Mexican Radio" for a charity comp. that was all indie rockers doing eighties songs.  It also had Yo La Tengo doing Dreamin' by Blondie and Sonic Youth doin' that song that's in French Sah Plah Por Moi or whatever.  The one that's in National Lampoon's European Vacation I think.  Can't remember the name of that tape right now but it was awesome.  Muff's did "Rock'n'Roll Girl".  
I had that same CD John. It was called Freedom Of Choice. On it was a bit of the Orson Welles tape of him berating some sound engineer on one of the tracks

Yeah, that's it!  And Superchunk doing "Girl You Want".

evan (giggles)

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »
i've got mexican radio if anyone would like to hear it. i guess i don't have "rock me amadeus" anymore.

bookem_dan-o

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2007, 07:03:28 AM »
i've got mexican radio if anyone would like to hear it. i guess i don't have "rock me amadeus" anymore.

yes please

Tim K in DC

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2007, 01:37:41 AM »
But what you are forgetting folks is that Helium stunk live. What works really well on album does not carry over well in a club atmosphere.

I disagree on the live dismissal, at least when they were in their early phase (I never did see any of the Magic City material done live). I caught them sharing a bill with The Dambuilders at the Rat in 1993 or so  and they were stellar. Three words: Sean King Devlin. Specfreakingtacular. Lucy-loose and wire tight all at once.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

evan (giggles)

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »
for your consideration:

polvo - mexican radio
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6566v

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
Holy shit!  Polvo are having a reunion tour! http://www.touchandgorecords.com/news/detail.php?id=365