Author Topic: Fly, Robin Fly!  (Read 4450 times)

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Fly, Robin Fly!
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:14:41 PM »
Are you an oldish fogie? Post your pre-party pics here.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Fly, Robin Fly!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:28:27 AM »
Is that all true?  Goodness.

An old teacher of mine (well, she's old now) pronounced it RAIN-uh muh-RIE-uh RIL-kuh, but that's just how we dooz it in the South.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

John Junk

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »
Are you an oldish fogie? Post your pre-party pics here.

This post has much to be perplexed about.

Laurie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:54:08 PM »
Pre-party? What party? Lemon party?

I thought this thread was going to be about the Boy Wonder. I was all set to complain about his new costume. He looks like he's wearing long johns! Jesus.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Poor choice of topic title (I was referring to the disco hit by Silver Convention).  My bad.  I was just curious to see old photos from aged FOTs (preparing to go to ring dances, proms, yadda). 

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:45:42 PM »
...Ring dances? Is that like a rainbow party?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
Rainbow parties are something Oprah made up to scare parents.  Either that or I feel really ripped off for having grown up in a more sheltered time.  Sort of.  That's got to be a weird sort of scene.

Rainer - Maybe I've been misreading.  Up until this last viewing I assumed that Tom was your wife's current boyfriend, which made me feel really bad for you.  It now occurs to me that he was your wife's boyfriend at the time, which is much better.

The whole thing has a "Metropolitan" look to it.

Sorry about Susan.

Allow me to take the first guess - 1986? 
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

The whole thing has a "Metropolitan" look to it.

Good call.  Delete the ladies and it could even pass for a Dead Poet's Society session.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
Buffcoat: Ding! Exactly right: spring 1986 (Fredricksburg, VA).  Metropolitan? Unfortunately, that's a very good description of that photo (although I was into the Birthday Party, 9353, and Mission of Burma at the time)

Omar: Dead Poets Society!  Yes, I see that, too.  Unfortunately, like Nicolas Cage in 8MM, I cannot unsee it.

Laurie

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
Rainbow parties are something Oprah made up to scare parents.  Either that or I feel really ripped off for having grown up in a more sheltered time.  Sort of.  That's got to be a weird sort of scene.

Maybe so, but remember that episode of Degrassi: The Next Generation? The one where Spike's teenage daughter goes a little crazy and wins a little plastic bracelet by doing naughty, naughty things with one of the bad boys in a van in some abandoned lot? Yeah, we had that in Miami Killian Senior High.

And I was just kidding. Sort of. Seriously, though, what the fuck is a "ring party"? Is that like a class ring ceremony or something?

John Junk

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
Filthy Laurie & Co. are always one step ahead of me with the smut terminology.  I had to look up rainbow party on urban dictionary dot com!  I admire this one entry by an obviously embittered teen, even though it's a grammatical nightmare:

5.   rainbow party   

The thing that causes an outbreak of herpes among the freshman class at Kapaun Mt. Carmel in Wichita.

Those girls, after the rainbow party was finished, noticed small sores on their lips.

Laurie

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 04:38:01 PM »
Dude, I know what went on in my middle school bathrooms, so the very concept of "rainbow parties" does not surprise me at all.

Also, have you been to Myspace lately? Jesus christ.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »
A ring party is a dance. There is a band, food and beer.  The "ring" part comes in during the final quarter of the evening.  All the women line up on one side of the ballroom and make the OK sign (i.e. ASL for the number 9) in front, and slightly above, their faces.  All the men line up on the opposite side and extend a pointed finger toward the women.  While this is happening, all particpants are blindfolded.

The lights are dimmed and a starting gun is fired.  Everybody begins slowly slide-walking across the room trying to "mate" with a person of the opposite sex.  The object is to have the finger go inside an OK sign without any other physical contact being made.

The winners get a necklace or a plate, I cannot remember now.  This might be a Virginia thing ... I had thought it was better known, but perhaps not.

John Junk

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
Ring parties sound just about as strange as rainbow parties, if not more.  So I'm not ruling anything out.