Author Topic: "Steve Martin audience offered full refund after his event was too boring"  (Read 5414 times)

DS1077

• Policemans heel
Re: "Steve Martin audience offered full refund after his event was too boring"
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
I confess to getting profoundly irritated every time Steve Martin pulls out his banjo on a talk show.  I know it's not fair of me to expect celebs to only do one thing forever, but the banjo music thing is exceptionally boring.

On the other hand, I'm pretty much in favor of Rick Moranis' country music career.

Pidgeon

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 11:24:37 PM »
On the other hand, I'm pretty much in favor of Rick Moranis' country music career.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but what I've heard is actually not half bad.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »
Based on Sarah's answer as well as those of Ms. Klausner and Ms. Vargas-Cooper, I have to wonder if I'm more in the minority than I thought in finding Chevy Chase insufferable and not at all funny. I'm not considering his looks at all, which the above three obviously are, but I'd say he's the least talented of the original SNL cast, I've never been able to get through Fletch, and his scenes in Caddyshack are a huge drag on a movie that spends the rest of its running time being hilarious. I don't remember hating him in Vacation but I haven't seen it in a really long time.

Am I missing something? Do I need to give Fletch another try? Is there something else I haven't seen that will turn me around?
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Sarah

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »
In the K/M/F game, the person who gets the F isn't being graded as anything but meat, or such is my understanding, anyway.  For example, I think Bill Murray is infinitely funnier and probably smarter than Chevy Chase, but I've always found him strangely repellent in the looks department, so he'd never get a mere F from me.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 09:23:56 AM »
I disagreed with their verdict.  Bill Murray ain't husband material, unless you want to be at least emotionally, if not physically, abused.

Don't rule anything out!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
Based on Sarah's answer as well as those of Ms. Klausner and Ms. Vargas-Cooper, I have to wonder if I'm more in the minority than I thought in finding Chevy Chase insufferable and not at all funny. I'm not considering his looks at all, which the above three obviously are, but I'd say he's the least talented of the original SNL cast, I've never been able to get through Fletch, and his scenes in Caddyshack are a huge drag on a movie that spends the rest of its running time being hilarious. I don't remember hating him in Vacation but I haven't seen it in a really long time.

Am I missing something? Do I need to give Fletch another try? Is there something else I haven't seen that will turn me around?

Chevy has had his moments on Community but it's clear he's one of the least talented performers in that cast as well (certainly not worse than Ken Jeong though).  His character has started to become a drag in the second season, really.

I think Vacation probably holds up (haven't seen it in a long time either).  Chevy was a talented physical comedian and still has a knack for deadpan delivery -- that along with charisma carried him as far as he could possibly go for a while.  I guess he was to jerks what Adam Sandler is to idiots, only Sandler has played his cards right.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:44 AM »
I usually loathe those 'the book was better' whiners, but I will say that the Fletch character is WAY cooler in the books, and what you see in the movie is basically Chevy Chase being Chevy Chase. I enjoyed that movie well enough at the time, and we all quoted lines constantly for several months but I can't imagine I'd really be able to sit through it now. All the other guys in the movie are basically there for Chevy to bounce jokes and insults off of...

Vacation, on the other hand, I would think has many awesome lil things to keep you going thru the Chevy bits. Think about who all's in that thing: Randy Quaid, D'Angelo, Candy, Brian Doyle Murray, Jane Krakowski,
Imogene Coca etc etc.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Sarah

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 03:13:38 PM »
I just misread "Vacation" as "Vatican."  Now that's a Chevy Chase movie I might want to check out.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »
What's so loathsome and whiny about observing that the book is better (as it usually is, IMO)?  If the filmmakers don't want their work to be compared to the book they base it on, shouldn't they maybe come up with their own idea?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

DS1077

• Policemans heel
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
I really enjoyed that F/M/K column, and am eagerly awaiting their take on Lou Grant vs Ted Baxter vs Murray Slaughter.  Harder than it seems!

Sarah

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
Marry Lou, fuck Ted, and kill Murray.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 08:40:07 AM »
I heard he read the entire script to Shopgirl.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
On the other hand, I think a Zach Galifianakis interview where he refused to talk about anything other than Civil War re-enacting would be really fascinating.

Pidgeon

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
On the other hand, I think a Zach Galifianakis interview where he refused to talk about anything other than Civil War re-enacting would be really fascinating.

Even though he's a North Carolinian (as am I), I can't help but think of how fabulous he would look in one of the blue Union uniforms.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 01:23:03 PM »
There's actually a pilot for a show floating around somewhere where Zach plays a Civil War re-enactor who's way too into getting the details right (what he eats, how/where he sleeps, etc).