Author Topic: Trick or treat in Kensington...  (Read 2501 times)

not that James

Trick or treat in Kensington...
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »
First, I have a confession to make: I listen to WIP 610 sports talk radio in Philadelphia fairly regularly.  I can't explain it.  I'm not the biggest sports fan in the world (although I do love ice hockey), but I'm drawn to sports talk radio, at least as it's performed in Philly.

Anyway, I was listening to the pre-game show in the car today, and they were doing some kind of comedy thing where a local comedian was doing a bit as a local dive-bar owner talking about the bar's plans for Halloween.   During the bit, this dude had a line that was so perfectly Philly Boy Roy:

"Yeah, for tricker-treat sometimes kids from Kensington'll put on clean t-shirts and go as kids from Mayfair."

Ka-lassic!

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
Re: Trick or treat in Kensington...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
That is a pretty good one.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

dovate

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:08:19 PM »
I was listening a couple weeks ago and there was a caller so spot-on as Philly Boy Roy that I thought it was a prank. It turned out that the caller was a regular from South Philly named Linda...? This is a strange town and WIP is a strange station.

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
I wonder if Philly Boy Roy is going to attend the Spectrum demolition on November 23rd.  Bernie Parent, Bobby Clark, Dr J. and all nem heroes will be in attendance.  Seems like the ultimate Ziegler event. 

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »
The "comic" in question is Joe Conklin, who also bills himself as "The Man of 1,000 Voice." He's truly dreadful. He's usually on WIP's morning show hosted by Angelo Cataldi. If you've ever wanted to lower your IQ, then this is the show for you.

WIP 610 is the best to listen to on weekend nights around 2 AM, especially when people are identified as hailing from neighborhoods such as "Tacony" or "Mayfair" or "Kensington" or "South Philly" or "Roxborough." (Mind you, I live in Roxborough.)

My favorite moment ever on WIP was on a Friday night where the host (the immortal Paul Jolowitz) had a special show where sports were not to be discussed that evening. Instead, the topic was "Who Inspires You the Most?" Jolly specifically asked for people to not mention sports figures or family members. And he also wanted callers to guess who inspired him the most.

The first caller said Andy Reid. So did the second caller.

The third caller talked about someone I can't remember. Then Jolly asked the caller to guess who he found inspirational. He randomly said Warren Buffett.

He was right.

For the rest of the show, Jolly kept on asking people what they thought about Warren Buffett.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
I'm from Philly, originally.  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent listening to WIP over the years.  I even went to the Wing Bowl the year the Eagles went to the Super Bowl.

But... I can't listen to WIP anymore.  The other station (97.5 FM) is exponentially better.