Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947119 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1050 on: October 10, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Oh and I'm currently about halfway through Slaughterhouse 5 which I'm loving so far. I know I should have read it a long time ago but better late than never.

Excellent; I just suggested it, for the sixth straight year, as my college's Common Book. I am ignored there as much as I am everywhere else.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1051 on: October 10, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
Dave, you're aces in my book.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1052 on: October 11, 2009, 02:37:19 AM »
Love Slaughterhouse 5.  Like Cat's Cradle even better.

I just got this book from my boss called: The Portable DO IT!: 172 essential excerpts from the #1 New York Times bestseller DO IT! Let's Get Off Our Butts  She said, "I saw this book and I immediately thought of you."  It's pretty stellar and I'm hoping not also a joke about my productivity.
Doing it Mentos style.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1053 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
Finished The Lost Symbol.  Good airplane read, very fast.  But it's the damn same as at least the two other books of his I've read.  And you see the plot twists coming.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pat K

« Reply #1054 on: October 15, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »
And you see the plot twists coming.

Let me guess - he finds the symbol, right?
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1055 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:46 PM »
Any suggestions for a SOLID collection of short fiction, for use in a college-level creative writing course?  I'm looking at something that will provide a stylistic models, as well as some diversity in narrative structures. 

So far I'm considering E. Annie Proulx's Close Range and Robert Olen Butler's Good Scent from a Strange Mountain are on the list. 

Thank you very much.

Ike
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1056 on: October 21, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »
Just finished BLOOD'S A ROVER by James Ellroy, which was terrific. I've decided to move onto some lighter fare, so have started Pete Dexter's PARIS TROUT.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1057 on: October 21, 2009, 01:18:55 PM »
I rarely read short fiction but I read about E. Annie Proulx's Close Range - seems like a great choice to me.

I am reading Wonder Boys. I loved the movie, but hadn't read the book yet. The movie is very close to the book, but it's worth reading if only for the stuff about the life of a writer and the 'midnight disease'. I'm not a writer (though I've tried), but I identify with them for some reason. I love when writers write about writers and writing :)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1058 on: October 21, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
I read the James Sturm graphic novel about Satchel Paige. I did not read it on a Kindle, although as the illustrations are black and white I suppose I could have lived with it. I have also read his graphic novel about the traveling Jewish baseball team, and the one about a 19th century revival where a couple punk's a minister by asking him to revive their dead child. He's very much into the historical graphic novels.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1059 on: October 21, 2009, 04:18:09 PM »
I rarely read short fiction but I read about E. Annie Proulx's Close Range - seems like a great choice to me.

I am reading Wonder Boys. I loved the movie, but hadn't read the book yet. The movie is very close to the book, but it's worth reading if only for the stuff about the life of a writer and the 'midnight disease'. I'm not a writer (though I've tried), but I identify with them for some reason. I love when writers write about writers and writing :)

I watched the movie last week.  I liked it quite a bit.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Pastor Josh

« Reply #1060 on: October 21, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »

I love the movie, but I hated the book.  I love everything else he's written, but Wonder Boys seemed to fail to me.  Although i saw in it the experiments he was conducting that really worked out in Kavalier and Klay.
Who I don't have chocolate?

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1061 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:39 PM »
Just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Fantastic, very moving and technically ingenious -- sort of an inversion of Great Expectations set in an alternate-reality present day England (more or less).

One of the best new books I've read in the past few years.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1062 on: October 21, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
Just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Fantastic, very moving and technically ingenious -- sort of an inversion of Great Expectations set in an alternate-reality present day England (more or less).

One of the best new books I've read in the past few years.

yeah, that's a really good book. i kept thinking about it for weeks afterward.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1063 on: October 21, 2009, 08:45:46 PM »
Is now a good time to mention that I don't OWN a television?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1064 on: October 21, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Is now a good time to mention that I don't OWN a television?
Yep.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."