Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 945975 times)

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1830 on: December 05, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »
I'm reading "Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West." Nobody tell me how it ends.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1831 on: December 06, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
I rather liked Sleeper. I wish Brubaker would work in more pulpy SF area and it suits Phillips' art very well.

I FLIPPED for this book when it came out.  Loved it.  I just finished Nick Tosches bio of Jerry Lee Lewis, best rock bio I've ever read.  I gave up on Keith Richards' book, I just couldn't finish it.
Your vigor for life appalls me.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1832 on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
Have any of you guys read "John Dies at the End"?  I really, really liked it but I don't know anyone who has read it, so I'm starved for conversation
Your vigor for life appalls me.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1833 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »
I am reading "Matter" by Iain M. Banks which is the last of the Culture novels I have not read before I read his new one, "Hydrogen Sonata."  The entire Culture series is probably my favorite thing in genre fiction.

wood and iron

« Reply #1834 on: December 10, 2012, 02:27:41 PM »
I am reading "Matter" by Iain M. Banks which is the last of the Culture novels I have not read before I read his new one, "Hydrogen Sonata."  The entire Culture series is probably my favorite thing in genre fiction.

I'm two books into the Culture series and loving it very very much. I hope to get my third at Christmas. Here's a bit of a problem I have: apparently one of the Culture novels is not published in the Culture trade dress that they use here in the US. As a completionist who likes series to look like a set, that bothers me.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1835 on: December 10, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
 :-[

I'm two books into the Culture series and loving it very very much. I hope to get my third at Christmas. Here's a bit of a problem I have: apparently one of the Culture novels is not published in the Culture trade dress that they use here in the US. As a completionist who likes series to look like a set, that bothers me.

That would bug me as well if I was close to having a set. But some of mine are trades, other mass market paperbacks, some hardcover, and some ebooks.  Some I read from the library.  I would love a Culture box set.

The one that is not in the series, is that Inversions?  It's only sort-of a Culture book.

wood and iron

« Reply #1836 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
:-[

That would bug me as well if I was close to having a set. But some of mine are trades, other mass market paperbacks, some hardcover, and some ebooks.  Some I read from the library.  I would love a Culture box set.

The one that is not in the series, is that Inversions?  It's only sort-of a Culture book.

Yeah I think it's that one. But look at that hideous cover art: http://www.amazon.com/Inversions-Culture-Iain-M-Banks/dp/1416583785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355179915&sr=8-1&keywords=inversions

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1837 on: December 10, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman is blowing me away.  We all know that people make dumb decisions, but this book reveals the profound depths of our idiocy.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1838 on: December 11, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
I'm liking the Pulphead collection of essays by John Jeremiah Sullivan. He's the one who wrote the hilarious profile of Axl Rose awhile back.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1839 on: December 11, 2012, 06:57:28 AM »
I read Felicia's Journey last week; nice slow character study. I liked it, but many would find it dull. I was reading it because I had misplaced Absurdistan, which I have now found and started. It's pretty densely packed with funny lines, and I like where the premise could go, but last night the sentence "The infection set in that night" did not sit well with me.

yesno

• Space Champion!

wood and iron

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1842 on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
I am reading Wayne Johnston's " A World Elsewhere ".

One of my favorite authors.  Someone gave me an ebook thing as a gift so I got this to try it out.  Pretty great so far.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

ArnaldoPalmer

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1843 on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
remember a while ago when Tom was talking about how reading a book about Led Zeppelin (or was it a Jimmy Page biography?) was making him interested in the occult? Does anyone know/remember which book Tom was talking about?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1844 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
Hammer of the Gods!

I just read it, it's good. If you're going to read about a rock band, you can't really beat Zeppelin. Jimmy's fascination with Aleister Crowley is covered in some depth, as is the rumor 3/4 of them sold their souls to Satan, which Jack Black joked about at the Kennedy Center Honors thing recently.