Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 946069 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #405 on: June 13, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
I am an atheist and appreciate Dawkins' arguments in "The God Delusion", but like yesno, I find Dawkins' approach way too aggressive toward religious people.  He is definitely not doing good PR for us atheists.  I respect those who believe in God and even envy them.  Dawkins embarrasses me in the same way that the militant liberals at the Park Slope Food Coop embarrass me regarding my liberalism.*

*I am not dissing *everyone* at the Park Slope Food Coop...just those individuals who have zapped all the joy out of being pro-people.

This goes a little off-topic, but it's related to Jon's point; I recently viewed a documentary called "A Flock of Dodos", directed and edited by a pro-evolution scientist, that spends a lot of its focus on the way in which pro-evolution and anti-evolution arguments are presented. He tenuously argues that America would be smarter if the scientists were a little more canny, and less condescending when presenting their case to people who don't agree with them. It's worth a look, especially if you can get it painlessly through Netflix.

Oh, and for the obligatory on post content, I am about to finish the anthology The Deadly Bride, which purports to be the best short mystery fiction of 2006 (I think), although only about 1 out of three of the stories have any kind of wow factor. Then I am reading a John Kennedy assassination book, something I have not done since about 1980. Man, those were the days.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #406 on: June 13, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »
My buddy James (not that one) wrote a really good piece about that stupid Ben Stein anti-evolution documentary that addresses these things well:

http://thephoenix.com/Article.aspx?id=61196&page=1

He also interviews the guy from Bad Religion, who is evidently a legitmate philosopher.

Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
I don't think Dawkins is any more "aggressive" when arguing about religion than people are when arguing about anything else, really.  People have a really thin skin about religion, and interpret what would be normal debate in other contexts, as intemperate attacks.  I think that some of the neo-atheists err in simply deciding that this is illegitimate, and going about their business.  I think they'd be more effective at changing people's minds if they took a gentler, more socratic approach.  It's fun to just hurl invective and present devastating arguments one after the other once and a while, but if people decide that you're too mean they just shut down and won't listen to your arguments, however good they are.

Also, the whole "brights" thing makes me want to puke.

If you want a more philosophically-grounded exposition of Darwinian ideas, I highly recommend Daniel Dennet's Darwin's Dangerous Idea.  Dennet, Pinker, and Dawkins are definitely something of a mutual appreciation society, however.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »
I'm about to start Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me. Heavyweight lineup: Colbert, The Wizard of Oswalt, Odenkirk... Has anyone read this?

ive been wanting to read this for months, but cant bring myself to spend the money on a hardcover.  im waiting for it to be in soft/paperback. 

im broke.  always.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
If you want a more philosophically-grounded exposition of Darwinian ideas, I highly recommend Daniel Dennet's Darwin's Dangerous Idea.  Dennet, Pinker, and Dawkins are definitely something of a mutual appreciation society, however.

Dan Dennett is my hero. "Consciousness Explained" is one of my favorite books. 

As for Pinker, "The Language Instinct" and "The Blank Slate" are clutch.  Although, with the food and water crises hitting the world population right now, I am wondering if Pinker's smackdown of Malthus was a liiiiiiiittle premature.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
I'm about to start Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me. Heavyweight lineup: Colbert, The Wizard of Oswalt, Odenkirk... Has anyone read this?

ive been wanting to read this for months, but cant bring myself to spend the money on a hardcover.  im waiting for it to be in soft/paperback. 

im broke.  always.

Investigate your local public library!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »

im broke.  always.

they have no idea what im talking about.  although, i went downtown and it was checked out.  i know im going to add it to my "library", so i'll probably just wait. 

but in the same vein as the todd barry joke, i have have spent afternoons at barnes and noble reading books i know i wont ever buy but want to read.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2008, 02:41:58 PM »

im broke.  always.

they have no idea what im talking about.  although, i went downtown and it was checked out.  i know im going to add it to my "library", so i'll probably just wait. 

but in the same vein as the todd barry joke, i have have spent afternoons at barnes and noble reading books i know i wont ever buy but want to read.

I'm sure it depends on the library but you might want to see if you can request books. Mine allows patrons to request books, dvd, etc. online and they always end up buying whatever I request.  That's actually how I got this specific book and a bunch of Criterion dvds. 

Sarah

« Reply #413 on: June 13, 2008, 03:20:20 PM »
Around here, there's something called interlibrary loan as well.  But maybe that's just for the sticks.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »
The new Sedaris features use of the word "Turlet" - during 'That's Amore'. Look out for that.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #415 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
Around here, there's something called interlibrary loan as well.  But maybe that's just for the sticks.

Works like a dream here, too, Sarah.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #416 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »
Just getting into Cormac McCarthy now. He's an author I've pretty much ignored, with the exception of The Road, and I'm glad I stopped ignoring his other novels. I just finished No Country for Old Men (a quick and satisfying read) and am now reading All The Pretty Horses.

Have also been reading Blink and The Tipping Point. Just thought I ought to, in case there's something interesting in there. This is the equivalent of waiting until a movie comes out on video, and then waiting some more.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #417 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »
I'm glad you stopped too! I was worried there for a bit.

from now on i only read books with the word BRAIN in the title.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #418 on: June 17, 2008, 06:06:24 AM »
Just getting into Cormac McCarthy now. He's an author I've pretty much ignored, with the exception of The Road, and I'm glad I stopped ignoring his other novels. I just finished No Country for Old Men (a quick and satisfying read) and am now reading All The Pretty Horses.

Have also been reading Blink and The Tipping Point. Just thought I ought to, in case there's something interesting in there. This is the equivalent of waiting until a movie comes out on video, and then waiting some more.

I am working my way chronologically through Cor Double-Mac (thank you JJ Jackson!). Suttree is next. The first three were horrific. My therapist (don't judge) actually asked me to stop reading them. I'm sorry, I meant my "friend that I pay".

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #419 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:28 AM »

I am working my way chronologically through Cor Double-Mac (thank you JJ Jackson!). Suttree is next. The first three were horrific. My therapist (don't judge) actually asked me to stop reading them. I'm sorry, I meant my "friend that I pay".

well, dave, i mean, "my therapist that i pay"