Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947135 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #525 on: October 08, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Good comparison.  I enjoyed House of Leaves, but what got to me was that the house was so big, but so empty and featureless mostly.

Rama is chock full of mysterious doo-dads, much more sci-fi friendly.

I am reading Rendezvous with Rama. I am a dork.

The sequels aren't as good.

I promise not to read them. Thanks for the heads up. So far it reminds me of House of Leaves.

Jonathan Steven

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #526 on: October 08, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »
Thee Rock Bible by Henry and Pattton.  They did it again!
Also Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #527 on: October 08, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »
Thee Rock Bible by Henry and Pattton.  They did it again!

that book was pretty much on the money.  now i dont feel like such a jerk for all the things i do and i get called a "music snob" and "hipster" for.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #528 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »
I'm sure you probably watched this, but in case not, Sarah Vowell on the Daily Show last night:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=187572&title=sarah-vowell

emma

« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
Just finished Blackouts by Craig Boyko which was completely and thoroughly pretty okay.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #530 on: October 08, 2008, 06:26:11 PM »
Currently reading Studies in Pessimism by Arthur Schopenhauer, and The Solitudes by John Crowley.

Sarah

« Reply #531 on: October 09, 2008, 07:18:18 AM »
I just got Neal Stephenson's Anathem.  It's almost 1000 pages long.  God knows when I'll have the strength to take it on, much as I love the man's writing.  But knowing I have it gives me a feeling of security.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #532 on: October 09, 2008, 09:13:13 AM »
I just got Neal Stephenson's Anathem.  It's almost 1000 pages long.  God knows when I'll have the strength to take it on, much as I love the man's writing.  But knowing I have it gives me a feeling of security.

I wasn't too thrilled with it.  It started out being pretty interesting, but then turned into a pretty dull little adventure story.  I enjoyed the book until about page 500.  (Other people who didn't like it seemed to be unable to get past the first hundred or so pages.  That was probably my favorite part of the book.)  At times the author's own peculiar views on various philosophical topics became a little too obvious, as well, but I won't get into that.

I liked Cryptonomicon, and Snow Crash, and Diamond Age, but gave up halfway through the first Baroque Cycle book.  Maybe if you liked those, you'll like this.

Sarah

« Reply #533 on: October 09, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »
I loved the Baroque Cycle, so I have hope.  If my thumbs can handle it.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #534 on: October 09, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
I am reading "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman, and I am laughing my ass off. 

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #535 on: October 09, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »
I am reading "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman, and I am laughing my ass off. 

It's definitely a really fun read.

Satchmo Mask

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #536 on: October 09, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
"You Don't Love Me Yet" was pretty okay, as I said before. I could definitely see how people wouldn't like it. I do think he's a good writer. It did feel a little too Tom Robbins-y though.

On the other hand, I just finished "The Song is You" by Megan Abbott and really, really loved it.
"I LOVE HONEY BUNCHES AND OATS,BUT THE LAST THREE TIMES I WAS EATING IT,T EXSPIRIENCED SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN AND ACID REFLEX PROBLEMS.SO THIS CEREAL IS OF MY GROCERY LIST" - Monika54

Gore Marie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #537 on: October 09, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
I am reading Women on the Verge: Seven Avante Garde Plays from 1993.   I waver between reading it seriously and enjoying it and and reading it as if it is a satire of wacky erotic feminist theater and giggling/enjoying it.  It really can go either way.

emma

« Reply #538 on: October 09, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »

XKCD was not so into it:

"I'm lookin' at YOU, Neal Stephenson."

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #539 on: October 09, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
I liked the made up words.  But Neal Stephenson can't write a story where he just tells you that a guy goes to the 7-11 to buy a soda.  He's got to put you in the guy's shoes as he goes to buy a soda, step by detailed step. The guy has to have an adventure where he's set on by motorcycle bandits on the way.  Also the motorcycle bandits contribute nothing to the overall story.  When the guy finally arrives at the 7-11, the clerk and the guy discuss the halting problem and double-entry bookkeeping.