Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 946040 times)

fonpr

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #705 on: June 10, 2009, 11:55:31 PM »
I am reading 'Misquoting Jesus', which is about the history of the Bible and the many hands and languages it has been through.

That and 'Physical Computing', which is about hooking up sensors and motors and whatnot to little microchips which leads into building world conquering robots and all that.

I really enjoyed "Misquoting Jesus" myself.  The guys who do the Reasonable Doubts podcast use this kind of info to debate Xian apoolgists.

Re: 'Physical Computing' we may be Robuts already.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #706 on: June 11, 2009, 03:44:49 AM »
Quote from: fonpr link=topic=761.msg117628#msg117628 date=

Some of us more likely than others, but you're pretty low on that list, Fredericks.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #707 on: June 11, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
I am reading 'Misquoting Jesus', which is about the history of the Bible and the many hands and languages it has been through.

That and 'Physical Computing', which is about hooking up sensors and motors and whatnot to little microchips which leads into building world conquering robots and all that.

I really enjoyed "Misquoting Jesus" myself.  The guys who do the Reasonable Doubts podcast use this kind of info to debate Xian apoolgists.

So far it's (Misquoting) enjoyable. Hard to argue w/ a guy who went whole hog and learned Greek and Hebrew. He takes that stuff pretty seriously.

I often feel like a robot. I hesitate to use the term 'Meat Robot', but 'Wetware' is not much better...

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #708 on: June 11, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »
I loved Misquoting Jesus.  I just picked up his new one, and, at five pages in, I think it's going to be just as good.  Anyone else read it?
Who I don't have chocolate?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #709 on: June 11, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »

Some of us more likely than others, but you're pretty low on that list, Fredericks.

Hey Buffy,

Did you compliment me?

Mind= confused.

What do you know about the Psychologist from Watchmen?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #710 on: June 11, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »

Hey Buffy,

Did you compliment me?

Mind= confused.

What do you know about the Psychologist from Watchmen?

I like you, Fredericksy, warily.  Don't take that personally - wary is more or less the buffcoat Way.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #711 on: June 11, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Just started Simon Reynolds' Rip Up and Start Again: Postpunk, 1978-1984.  Liking it so far.  Anyone else here read it?

Yeti #7 and J.G. Ballard's Super-Cannes just came in the mail today.  I'm pretty psyched for both.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #712 on: June 12, 2009, 12:03:47 AM »
Just started Simon Reynolds' Rip Up and Start Again: Postpunk, 1978-1984.  Liking it so far.  Anyone else here read it?

i started it, and life got in the way - so i only made it 70-80 pages in. i liked it a lot, though, and it's on my get-back-to-it list. i also peeked ahead to the chapter about the fall, which only made me want to purchase mark e. smith's book. and any other book about the fall.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #713 on: June 12, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »

Yeti #7 and J.G. Ballard's Super-Cannes just came in the mail today.  I'm pretty psyched for both.

I loved Super-Cannes. It was the first Ballard I read, I think, and it made me an instant fan.

I like you, Fredericksy, warily.  Don't take that personally - wary is more or less the buffcoat Way.

Hey, I just started The Buffcoat Way! It's good so far.

Jack from Arkansas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #714 on: June 12, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
I'm finishing Game of Kings by Michael Weinreb.  It's about kids who attend Edward R. Murrow High School and are on the elite chess team there.  Some of the best players are barely going to graduate and are just as interested in making money playing cards.
     Next on my queue is Power Makers.  It's about how steam and electric power changed the world.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #715 on: June 12, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »

i started it, and life got in the way - so i only made it 70-80 pages in. i liked it a lot, though, and it's on my get-back-to-it list. i also peeked ahead to the chapter about the fall, which only made me want to purchase mark e. smith's book. and any other book about the fall.

Yeah, I'm about 30 pages in, and I like it, but it's pretty freaking dense.  Not dense as in academic (though, in true postpunk fashion, it is that), but dense as in music-nerd.  It makes an interesting companion to Our Band Could Be Your Life, though: after 1976-77, the UK went in an art-school/pop direction, whereas the US went into a more populist but noisier one.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Poughkeepsie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #716 on: June 13, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »
Ant Farm: And Other Desperate Situations by Simon Rich

After hearing him on Seven Second Delay I thought I'd throw him some business. Nice fun read! Short and sweet.

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #717 on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »

Yeah, I'm about 30 pages in, and I like it, but it's pretty freaking dense.  Not dense as in academic (though, in true postpunk fashion, it is that), but dense as in music-nerd.  It makes an interesting companion to Our Band Could Be Your Life, though: after 1976-77, the UK went in an art-school/pop direction, whereas the US went into a more populist but noisier one.

Please kill me is a entertaining read.  If you like those two.

I am a big fan of band bio's lately.  Reading the Soft Machine one right now just read the replacements one and previous to that I read the No Wave Post-Punk. Underground. New York. 1976-1980. book

Julie

« Reply #718 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's like watching the six hour A&E Pride and Prejudice with my big brother.

I have a long history of booing

DoodleJump!

« Reply #719 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »
I keep on meaning to get this to read! Tell me if it is totally worth it, Julie.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump