Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 946063 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #750 on: July 04, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »
I just finished Nick Tosches's HELLFIRE last week. Holy moley, what a terrific book.

I got three more Tosches books from the library: THE DEVIL AND SONNY LISTON, KING OF THE JEWS and POWER ON EARTH. I will be reading them in that order (though I might move KING OF THE JEWS to the front of the line, since I suspect it's a biography of me).

I'm a huge Tosches fan and, unfortunately, you started at the top of the mountain and there's nowhere to go but down. Of the three books you have, I'd read Power on Earth first since it's the best of the group. King of the Jews is incredibly frustrating and definitely one of his lesser efforts - I'd recommend leaving it for last or even skipping it entirely. Most of the interesting thoughts and insights are things he's said elsewhere.

If you're looking to stick with biographies, you definitely need to read Dino.

His three novels all kinda sorta exist within the crime fiction world. In the Hand of Dante is his most ambitious (and, in my opinion, best) novel, but it tends to polarize readers. Although it uses a lot of crime fiction elements, it's a very unique and weird book.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #751 on: July 04, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
I have a problem w/ simultaneous/parallel reading, too.

It only got worse when I got a kindle. I don't think I'll ever finish a book again, although I do still plow through graphic novels.

Just finished:

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins

Starting:

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

In the middle of:

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
The Stranger - Albert Camus

So you're a simultaneous reader? Me too. When I was younger I used to sometimes have six or seven on the go at once, but now it's more like three. Even now, though, a book will occasionally fall off my radar and I'll find it in a bedside table drawer months later, half-read.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #752 on: July 04, 2009, 11:40:10 PM »
Just finished:

And them immediately started:

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #753 on: July 04, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
I have a problem w/ simultaneous/parallel reading, too.

It only got worse when I got a kindle. I don't think I'll ever finish a book again, although I do still plow through graphic novels.

Just finished:

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins

Starting:

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

In the middle of:

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
The Stranger - Albert Camus

So you're a simultaneous reader? Me too. When I was younger I used to sometimes have six or seven on the go at once, but now it's more like three. Even now, though, a book will occasionally fall off my radar and I'll find it in a bedside table drawer months later, half-read.

I read multiple books simultaneously up until this year. I just got frustrated because I could never finish any of the books I was reading. One at a time, people, one at a time.

Oh- and I am rereading
It is a superb YA book! Barker's supposedly just finished the 3rd book in the series, which I cannot wait for. And the paintings/illustrations are GORGEOUS.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #754 on: July 05, 2009, 12:44:02 AM »
Yeah I usually have a few books I'm reading at any given time, but I do usually finish them (with the exceptions of Atlas Shrugged, War & Peace, and Anna Karenina). I have a book club so I kind of have to read the book for that, and then I'll pick up whatever else I'm reading in between. But then, for example, Infinite Jest is a huge book and doesn't travel well for me because I take the subway and ride my bike everywhere, so I'll pick up a physically smaller book to read on the train and before I know it I'm reading 3 or 4 books at a time.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #755 on: July 05, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »
I just finished Nick Tosches's HELLFIRE last week. Holy moley, what a terrific book.

One of the greatest biographies OR rock books ever written.  Engrossing from word one.  I don't know how many times I've "gifted" this book to people. 

Clinton Heylin's "Behind the Shades", while exhaustive, is excellent as well.  SLOW towards the middle section.  You know, the period with all the great albums. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #756 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
Just finished Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.  I can't recommend it, really, but I am going to give it to the Roanoke, VA Goodwill in the hopes that someone who doesn't already know that "free trade" is a scam might stumble onto it.  It's readable and more or less informative.

Now reading Grief Lessons: Four Plays, which are some lesser-known Euripides plays translated by Anne Carson.  Anne Carson is fucking awesome.

Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #757 on: July 07, 2009, 08:29:23 AM »
Mick Foley's Tietam Brown. It's... OK. Funny at times in a manic kind of way, but it feels like a YA novel with a lot of graphic sex thrown in. It received a surprising amount of serious critical praise when it came out, and the author used to be a pro wrestler who went by the name Mankind (pretty famous I think), so I was intrigued enough to give his first novel a try. Now I think a lot of the praise came out of the critics' surprise that this guy knows how to put a sentence together.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #758 on: July 07, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
I just finished The Angel Riots by Ibi Kaslik and I'm feeling really really disappointed. Like, way more than I should be. All the reviews and profiles I'd read before the book were really complimentary, plus I keep hearing all about how great she is and the book was nominated for a Trillium prize and everyone I know who's met her says she is scary nice, so. The whole book was just super melodramatic and kind of humourless and overwritten and I had a ton of problems with it and I probably should not care so much, blah blah blah.

I haven't read her books, but I have noticed all the good buzz. I was given a copy of her first book by a friend and didn't read it - it just looked like a teensploitation book dressed up as upmarket fiction. I've also heard she's a very nice, cool person. I'm sorry to hear her writing is as crummy as I'd suspected.

wood and iron

« Reply #759 on: July 07, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Mick Foley's Tietam Brown. It's... OK. Funny at times in a manic kind of way, but it feels like a YA novel with a lot of graphic sex thrown in. It received a surprising amount of serious critical praise when it came out, and the author used to be a pro wrestler who went by the name Mankind (pretty famous I think), so I was intrigued enough to give his first novel a try. Now I think a lot of the praise came out of the critics' surprise that this guy knows how to put a sentence together.

I read that book a while ago right around when it first came out. I remember it being probably the most depressing book I've ever read.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
I've been subbing in all the Choose Your Own Adventures I never read as a kid.  Thanks, eBay!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

BVS

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
Just finishing up Nelson George's THE DEATH OF RHYTHM AND BLUES - i like it quite a bit, but i'm glad i read the introduction where he says that he talks about musicians/albums/songs that have specific relevance to him and didn't try and be comprehensive, because there are a ton of really important holes in the narrative.  But overall, i really enjoy it. 
-Brian

DoodleJump!

« Reply #762 on: July 08, 2009, 01:08:18 AM »
I've been subbing in all the Choose Your Own Adventures I never read as a kid.  Thanks, eBay!

I just referenced one of those CYOA stories yesterday- the one with the Statue of Liberty. That one wasn't one of my favorites, because at one point your adventure could end up with you dangling from the spike of Lady Liberty's crown, and since I'm afraid of heights, just imagining what that could be like tore my nerves to shreds when I was little.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

Pastor Josh

« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
I loved those.  Ever read any of the Time Machine books?  They were CYOA for older readers.  Not as good, but still neat.
Who I don't have chocolate?

kittykittymeowmixhead

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #764 on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:26 AM »
The only Clive Barker book I've read was The Thief of Always, when I was a tween. I liked it, and it freaked me out. I couldn't remember the title, but I remember the cover distinctly: