Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 946030 times)

pscan

• Policemans heel
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #765 on: July 08, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »
I just read the first 100 pages of Wally Lamb's latest book (The Hour I First Believed), and I'm giving up after 100 pages or so. It's one of those books where every personal detail given about a character ends up being something horrible, and usually sexual. Gross. And a disappointment.

On the other hand, started reading The Invention of Hugo Cabaret. What a lovely book. It's heavily illustrated, and the drawing are really transporting.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #766 on: July 08, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »
I've been subbing in all the Choose Your Own Adventures I never read as a kid.  Thanks, eBay!

This should definitely be the next review thread on the board. But only if you have a copy of either Vampire Express or Space Vampire, which were the high points of the series. This had nothing to do with them being about vampires, by the way. That was just a coincidence.

If nothing else, I think we should at least have a "best Choose Your Own Advenutre cover" thread.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #767 on: July 08, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »
I'm for that.

Finished the Greek plays, now onto Obama's Dreams From My Father.  So far it's as good as everyone says it is.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #768 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
I've been subbing in all the Choose Your Own Adventures I never read as a kid.  Thanks, eBay!

This should definitely be the next review thread on the board. But only if you have a copy of either Vampire Express or Space Vampire, which were the high points of the series. This had nothing to do with them being about vampires, by the way. That was just a coincidence.

If nothing else, I think we should at least have a "best Choose Your Own Advenutre cover" thread.

I have copies of every single effing one, Wes(ley).  And all the Time Machine books AND the D&D Endless Quest books.  I went a little nuts in the early days of eBay.  After I paid $50 for a Nerf Golf set from 1984 I had to let it go for awhile.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #769 on: July 08, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »
I just read Amazon's paper on Dynamo. For the hell of it.

Wes

« Reply #770 on: July 08, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

If nothing else, I think we should at least have a "best Choose Your Own Adventure cover" thread.

I have copies of every single effing one, Wes(ley).  And all the Time Machine books AND the D&D Endless Quest books.  I went a little nuts in the early days of eBay.  After I paid $50 for a Nerf Golf set from 1984 I had to let it go for awhile.

Did you get any of the Wizards, Warriors & You books? I remember them being the finest of the choose your own adventure style books. I was always the Warrior, though, because the Wizard was kind of a douche.

This site has covers of the whole CYOA series, including the shitty reissue covers and Australian variant covers. I think the spinoff thread needs to happen now. Also, I never knew there was a sequel to Space Vampire. Now I know why my life has felt empty all these years.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #771 on: July 09, 2009, 12:33:33 AM »

Does anyone else remember the Zork CYOA-style books?
Who I don't have chocolate?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #772 on: July 09, 2009, 01:15:45 AM »
Did you get the magic sneakers from the Prince of Kaldorn?

I have em all.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #773 on: July 09, 2009, 01:21:22 AM »
Reading Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. Cool book. I think it was the inspiration for Yojimbo/Fist Full of Dollars ect.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #774 on: July 09, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »
im reading a book on overpopulation that i havent decided if i like yet.  although i did notice that i paid more for it at goodwill than the price it has printed on the cover.

oh, brother.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #775 on: July 09, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »

If nothing else, I think we should at least have a "best Choose Your Own Adventure cover" thread.

Did you get any of the Wizards, Warriors & You books? I remember them being the finest of the choose your own adventure style books. I was always the Warrior, though, because the Wizard was kind of a douche.

This site has covers of the whole CYOA series, including the shitty reissue covers and Australian variant covers. I think the spinoff thread needs to happen now. Also, I never knew there was a sequel to Space Vampire. Now I know why my life has felt empty all these years.

I'm very familiar with Mr. Katz' fine site, which dates way back.

You can pick up all the books at half.com for more or less the price of shipping.

I liked "Which Way Books" from Archway paperbacks (the cookie people?).  A fat guy made you STICK YOUR HAND IN A BOX FULL OF SCORPIONS.  That's what kids are missing these days.

Steeley Chris

« Reply #776 on: July 09, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »
Trudging through "The Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. I just started chapter 3 (aka pg 93).
"Dad gets mad."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »
Trudging through "The Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. I just started chapter 3 (aka pg 93).

It would be awesome if this was a choose your own adventure book.

I'm about 30 pages away from the end of Obama's Dreams From My Father, and it kinda ran out of steam a little while ago, but I'm so close to the end I might as well finish it.  In any case, it's still a lot better than most books written by politicians.  I think after this I'm going to catch up with my unread back issues of Yeti.  I have a bad habit of getting issues of journals and not getting around to reading them until long after I'm not really into them anymore.  Every so often I'll force myself through a back issue of McSweeney's just to feel like I'm getting my money's worth (though there usually are a handful of good pieces in each issue, even if the presentation feels too-cute and dated).  Tin House and The Baffler, on the other hand, still hold up pretty well.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »
Reading Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. Cool book. I think it was the inspiration for Yojimbo/Fist Full of Dollars ect.

That book rocks, as do all the movies -- have you seen Last One Standing with Bruce Willis & directed by Walter Hill?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Reeleyes

« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »
I'm for that.

Finished the Greek plays, now onto Obama's Dreams From My Father.  So far it's as good as everyone says it is.

I read The Audacity of Hope and thought it had a great message that he kind of reworded a bunch of times until it was long enough to be a book.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.