Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947338 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #795 on: July 15, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »
I'm on Bookmooch.

Cool site.  That's where I tracked down Harmony Korine's A Crack Up at the Race Riots, Strom Thurmond's ultra-rare Filibustering for Dummies, and The 1990s Alternative Rock 'n Roll Music Coloring Book with a forward by Lisa Kennedy Montgomery.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Louis Lame

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #796 on: July 15, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »
I just started reading The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, I'm huge fan of his other stories and so far this one delivers. Super eerie, sort of other worldly feeling read but he has such a pragmatic way of telling stories you can burn through his works no problem.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #797 on: July 15, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »

I read the first 30 pages last night.  I didn't care for any of the text on those pages.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #798 on: July 15, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »

I read the first 30 pages last night.  I didn't care for any of the text on those pages.

Is it not so good, then? I was wondering ...
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #799 on: July 15, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »
Just started The King in Yellow-- you know you're in for a great read when the person who wrote the introduction openly admits that the author has somewhat deservedly begun to fade into obscurity.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #800 on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
David Cross is good on TV shows.  But his comedy routines make me want to pour poison into the porches of my ears. 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #801 on: July 15, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »
If you haven't joined already, these are great:

http://www.librarything.com/

http://www.paperbackswap.com

LibraryThing's unsuggester is my favorite e-tool.

http://www.librarything.com/unsuggester/

I am so glad that the second most opposite of Lords of Chaos (a great book) is The Tipping Point.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #802 on: July 15, 2009, 03:07:39 PM »

Is it not so good, then? I was wondering ...

Based on these pages, I would recommend avoiding the book.  The stuff I read included a staggeringly unfunny preface about not wanting to write the book, and a few short chapters featuring "rants" that were also not funny or remotely insightful.  One of these rants was a bizarre attack on cops that seemed better suited to the first Body Count record.   Cross is also not a fan of fat and/or lazy people.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #803 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »

Based on these pages, I would recommend avoiding the book.  The stuff I read included a staggeringly unfunny preface about not wanting to write the book, and a few short chapters featuring "rants" that were also not funny or remotely insightful.  One of these rants was a bizarre attack on cops that seemed better suited to the first Body Count record.   Cross is also not a fan of fat and/or lazy people.

I just read a few pages on amazon, and I see what you mean. I was hoping for something better after hearing that he explained his Jim Belushi hatred in the book.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #804 on: July 15, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
David Cross is good on TV shows.  But his comedy routines make me want to pour poison into the porches of my ears.  

i like his stand-up but after awhile, i admit, it gets old and tired hearing about how much he hates or loathes whatever he's on a rant about.  yes, we get it, you think religion is a load of shit.

on the other hand, it doesnt stop me from listening to his albums and watching everything he's involved with.

timmx

• Policemans heel
« Reply #805 on: July 15, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
Nathan Rabin, who wrote this article http://www.avclub.com/articles/portraits-of-awesomeness-3-scharpling-wurster,8635/ has a new book out called "The Big Rewind."

From what I've read I'd highly recommend it.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #806 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:52 PM »
The religious aspect may turn you off, but that's a shame, because this

is fan-fucking-tastic.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #807 on: July 15, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
Nathan Rabin, who wrote this article http://www.avclub.com/articles/portraits-of-awesomeness-3-scharpling-wurster,8635/ has a new book out called "The Big Rewind."

From what I've read I'd highly recommend it.
That just came from Amazon! I haven't started it yet.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #808 on: July 16, 2009, 03:39:48 AM »
If you want something "different", heady, gritty but still accessible..
The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall changed my reading forever. I can't appreciate a work of fiction anymore because this was so good, and everything else is weak to me. You've been warned.

http://www.amazon.ca/Raw-Shark-Texts-Steven-Hall/dp/0002008408

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #809 on: July 16, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
If you want something "different", heady, gritty but still accessible..
The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall changed my reading forever. I can't appreciate a work of fiction anymore because this was so good, and everything else is weak to me. You've been warned.

http://www.amazon.ca/Raw-Shark-Texts-Steven-Hall/dp/0002008408

This is a WATCHMEN spin-off, I take it? One of the detectives' diaries or something like that?

I picked up some books yesterday: Don DeLillo's UNDERWORLD and Henry Miller's SEXUS and PLEXUS. And a couple of weeks before that, I picked up Richard Price's LUSH LIFE and a couple others, none of which I've touched since. I'm calling a moratorium on purchasing new books until I read every one I own that I haven't read. This should keep me busy for the next three years.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.