Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947322 times)

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #825 on: July 16, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
I'm reading a Leni Reifenstahl bio. God she was loony tunes.
Ever see the movie?  That chick had nice legs.

Sure have. I've got a weird obsession w/her.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #826 on: July 16, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »
I started "Lolita" two days ago.

We'll see if all the fuss about Vladdy is justified.  Oh, yes, we will see.

Pale Fire is better.  Lolita is an amazing book, but not his best.  Even if you don't like it, keep plugging away at Nabokov.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Pastor Josh

« Reply #827 on: July 16, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »

It has to be said, Triumph of the Will is an amazing film.  Breathtaking and inspiring.  Inspiring for evil, but she could direct the hell outta shit.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #828 on: July 16, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »
Additional cheers for Mike Davis and Nabokov.  I'm heading back to NYC this weekend -- I was planning on picking up Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek while I'm up there, because I'm about a quarter mile from Tinker Creek, but maybe I'll pick up some Nabokov too.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #829 on: July 17, 2009, 01:23:20 AM »
i have an idea what book i may NOT be reading if there is not a marked improvement soon: josh karp's biography of doug kenney, "a futile and stupid gesture." it is painful to read. PAINFUL. you know the worst A&E writer for your local alternative weekly? the one who will occasionally find an interesting story but muck it up in the telling to such a degree that you begin to question the worth of what inspired such bad writing? imagine he/she churned out 400-odd pages on that subject.

man.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #830 on: July 17, 2009, 02:43:52 AM »
I have been saving the latest Hodgman book for my vacation. Which starts tomorrow. No, I am not braggin'. But I am REALLY looking forward to it. His first was so much fun. I think the biggest laugh in the first book was when I was reading the "700 Hobos" part, reading all these great hobo names and then arriving at the hobo name of Terry Gross.

Goddamn that's funny.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #831 on: July 17, 2009, 11:34:30 AM »
I have been saving the latest Hodgman book for my vacation. Which starts tomorrow. No, I am not braggin'. But I am REALLY looking forward to it. His first was so much fun. I think the biggest laugh in the first book was when I was reading the "700 Hobos" part, reading all these great hobo names and then arriving at the hobo name of Terry Gross.

Goddamn that's funny.

The great and terrible thing about a Hodgman book is that it is unruinable.  I thought and thought but I can't figure out how to spoil it for you.

Have a fun read, damn you.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pastor Josh

« Reply #832 on: July 17, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »

Goddamn that's funny.

I really want to read it, but I assume the paperback will have some extra stuff, so I'm waiting on it.  Have fun on vacation!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #833 on: July 17, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
Her movie about the Olympics was good, too, although it promoted Fascist ideals by showing all the studly dudes.

I saw that documentary 'The Horrible, Wonderful Life Of Leni Riefenstahl'. It was interesting but she sure wasn't about to admit she'd screwed up in it (not even about using the concentration camp gypsies in a film).

It has to be said, Triumph of the Will is an amazing film.  Breathtaking and inspiring.  Inspiring for evil, but she could direct the hell outta shit.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #834 on: July 18, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »
If you want something "different", heady, gritty but still accessible..
The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall changed my reading forever. I can't appreciate a work of fiction anymore because this was so good, and everything else is weak to me. You've been warned.

http://www.amazon.ca/Raw-Shark-Texts-Steven-Hall/dp/0002008408

This is a WATCHMEN spin-off, I take it? One of the detectives' diaries or something like that?

I picked up some books yesterday: Don DeLillo's UNDERWORLD and Henry Miller's SEXUS and PLEXUS. And a couple of weeks before that, I picked up Richard Price's LUSH LIFE and a couple others, none of which I've touched since. I'm calling a moratorium on purchasing new books until I read every one I own that I haven't read. This should keep me busy for the next three years.

I assure you it is nothing like anything at all related to the Watchmen. It's something much more surreal, intimate and interesting.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #835 on: July 27, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »
I may put off The Brothers Karamazov for the umpteenth time to catch up on some classic crime fiction, of which I've read unaccountably  little beyond Chandler.  Recommendations welcome.

I'm about to start in on this list. It's not exclusively crime fiction, but the genre is definitely well-represented. I'd add Hammett's short story collection NIGHTMARE TOWN to the list as well.

I look forward to finishing a third of RED HARVEST before I move on to something else.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #836 on: July 27, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »
Heh heh, "crime fiction."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

emma

« Reply #837 on: July 27, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
I read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men for the first time on my vacation, and now I just keep reading it over and over again.
I tried to read something a librarian recommended to me, but it really really really really sucked so I just went back to DFW.

Sarah

« Reply #838 on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »
Don't be a proud father, buffcoat.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #839 on: July 29, 2009, 03:54:37 AM »
I read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men for the first time on my vacation, and now I just keep reading it over and over again.
I tried to read something a librarian recommended to me, but it really really really really sucked so I just went back to DFW.

I hate to say things like 'considering his recent suicide the stories take on even more weight', but there are a couple of stories in that book I'm not sure I could go back and re-read now. They were great stories, though.