Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947303 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #840 on: July 31, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »
Currently reading Rushkoff's book, Life, Inc.  It's a little bit of a slog, but pretty good.  And I'm actually learning things, which is really saying something, considering I devour anti-corporate books like candy.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #841 on: July 31, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »

The Bar Exam: IT'S OVAH!

This one is first on the stack for my catch-up.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #842 on: July 31, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »
Currently reading Rushkoff's book, Life, Inc.  It's a little bit of a slog, but pretty good.  And I'm actually learning things, which is really saying something, considering I devour anti-corporate books like candy.

I'm going to read some anti-academic books to balance the score.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #843 on: July 31, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »
Currently reading Rushkoff's book, Life, Inc.  It's a little bit of a slog, but pretty good.  And I'm actually learning things, which is really saying something, considering I devour anti-corporate books like candy.

Are there even such things?  I don't think Allan Bloom counts.  I think I'd totally be into them if there were, academia sucks. 

Also, sorry if you're a corporation, Buffcoat.  I thought you were a single dude.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #844 on: July 31, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
Currently reading Rushkoff's book, Life, Inc.  It's a little bit of a slog, but pretty good.  And I'm actually learning things, which is really saying something, considering I devour anti-corporate books like candy.

Are there even such things?  I don't think Allan Bloom counts.  I think I'd totally be into them if there were, academia sucks.  

Also, sorry if you're a corporation, Buffcoat.  I thought you were a single dude.

Would the screeds polemics of David Horowitz count as anti-academic books?
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #845 on: August 02, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »
I just read Dan Clowes' 'David Boring'. I like his work, but after the Ghost World movie I can't help noticing all the women the protaganist wants do look kind of like Scarlet Johanssen. This book came out before that movie, though.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #846 on: August 02, 2009, 03:38:10 PM »
I can't help noticing all the women the protaganist wants do look kind of like Scarlet Johanssen.

What a weirdo!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #847 on: August 02, 2009, 04:04:39 PM »
I can't help noticing all the women the protaganist wants do look kind of like Scarlet Johanssen.

What a weirdo!

Clowes or me?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #848 on: August 02, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »

What a weirdo!

Clowes or me?

Both of you, probably. But I was just making a dumb joke, trying to be ironic - you know, saying that someone would have to be a real weirdo to be attracted to the Scarlett Johansen type.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #849 on: August 02, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
Currently reading Rushkoff's book, Life, Inc.  It's a little bit of a slog, but pretty good.  And I'm actually learning things, which is really saying something, considering I devour anti-corporate books like candy.

Are there even such things?  I don't think Allan Bloom counts.  I think I'd totally be into them if there were, academia sucks.  

Also, sorry if you're a corporation, Buffcoat.  I thought you were a single dude.

The Buffcoat Corporation accepts your apology, pending approval by Our legal department.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #850 on: August 02, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Yeah, that is a pretty boringly obvious attraction.

In the book, though, mainly it's that the dude likes big butts and he cannot lie. The Johannsen thing is maybe just Clowes' style.

What a weirdo!

Clowes or me?

Both of you, probably. But I was just making a dumb joke, trying to be ironic - you know, saying that someone would have to be a real weirdo to be attracted to the Scarlett Johansen type.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #851 on: August 07, 2009, 01:07:16 AM »
My daughter talked me into reading "The Giver", a Newbery winner; it's written at about an eighth grade level, but it describes a fairly inventive dystopian world. Very entertaining!

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #852 on: August 07, 2009, 03:37:48 AM »
My daughter talked me into reading "The Giver", a Newbery winner; it's written at about an eighth grade level, but it describes a fairly inventive dystopian world. Very entertaining!

One of the first books I ever read.  Pretty great.  Might explain why I enjoy Vonnegut so much these days.  I'm currently in the middle of the richard yates book revolutionary road.

AndrewVDill

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #853 on: August 07, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
I just started reading "The Snakehead".  It's a really fascinating look at decades of human smuggling into NYC's Chinatown.  Reading it makes a big impact on me, since I've either lived or worked or student taught in Chinatown for the past 4 years, but I highly recommend it to anyone.
You'll like it in hell; it's a lot like New Jersey.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #854 on: August 07, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
"The Punk Encyclopedia" by Brian Cogan. Pretty good, lotta nice pictures, and an entry about everyone's favorite FOT Punk Ted Leo!
"Dad gets mad."