Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 946000 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #930 on: September 07, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
I heard Flann O'Brien's 'The Third Policeman' is an incredible book, so I picked it up at the library.

IamBaronVonTito highly recommends the book, also.

As do I.  Highly.   

I also concur that Pynchon's Inherent Vice is funny and accessible. 

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #931 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »
just finished "trainspotting." just started rereading "american tabloid," and then it's on to a reread of "the cold six thousand," and then i should be done in time for "blood's a rover." SUPER jealous of folks who have the opportunity to see james ellroy act batshit on his upcoming tour ...

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #932 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »
I like it so far.

"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #933 on: September 09, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
I like it so far.

Really?  I think this is one of the worst books ever written.  As @clarencethomas might say, Cross needs to ZIP IT!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Me!

• Policemans heel
« Reply #934 on: September 09, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »
Reading The Kennedy Curse by Edward Klein.

Ted Kennedy died a day after I started it, oops!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #935 on: September 09, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »
Comedians don't exactly have a great track record in the book department. I liked Woody Allen's book OK, but otherwise I am really wracking my brain trying to think of a comedian's book where I could read more than 3 pages at a time.

I like it so far.

Really?  I think this is one of the worst books ever written.  As @clarencethomas might say, Cross needs to ZIP IT!

Me!

• Policemans heel
« Reply #936 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:55 PM »
Comedians don't exactly have a great track record in the book department. I liked Woody Allen's book OK, but otherwise I am really wracking my brain trying to think of a comedian's book where I could read more than 3 pages at a time.

I like it so far.

I like all of Chris Elliott's books.  Born Standing up by Steve Martin is good too.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #937 on: September 09, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »

I like it so far.

I like all of Chris Elliott's books.  Born Standing up by Steve Martin is good too.

CRUEL SHOES.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #938 on: September 09, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »
Okay, terribly lowbrow and all, but I have really been enjoying the Dresden Files.  I'm a good ways into the second novel, and they're a lot of fun.  Far more detective than magic, but very good about obeying rules.  I'd recommend them to anyone with a taste for pulp.
Who I don't have chocolate?

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #939 on: September 10, 2009, 08:49:30 AM »
O4L: I've been listening to the audiobook, and there are some nice touches on there. Les Savy Fav perform the list of quirks for an indie filmmaker, and the intro is read by old chum H. Jon Benjamin. I've heard that there are a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes in the printed edition, I'm spared from those on the audio, which is nice. It's definitely uneven - but I liked sections of it a lot. The scrapbooking expose was funny, but the character stuff, even as Kenny Dupree, isn't. I'm about halfway in so far, more full appraisal to follow. REMAIN ON TENTERHOOKS.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #940 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
O4L: I've been listening to the audiobook, and there are some nice touches on there. Les Savy Fav perform the list of quirks for an indie filmmaker, and the intro is read by old chum H. Jon Benjamin. I've heard that there are a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes in the printed edition, I'm spared from those on the audio, which is nice. It's definitely uneven - but I liked sections of it a lot. The scrapbooking expose was funny, but the character stuff, even as Kenny Dupree, isn't. I'm about halfway in so far, more full appraisal to follow. REMAIN ON TENTERHOOKS.

I can see how the audio version would be preferable to the error-laced print version.  On the page it seemed like a lot of very half-assed/recycled material (in a recent interview Cross admitted that he had no real desire to write a book until a literary agent suggested it) that offered little new insight into his comedic worldview that could not be found in much better form on his two comedy recordings.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #941 on: September 10, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »
I'm determined to read at least a couple pages of Moby Dick a day. I think this is my third time trying to get through it, and I'm sure I'll fail again.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #942 on: September 10, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
I like it so far.

Is he still mad about them mean kids from high school?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #943 on: September 10, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
OK, I can see Cruel Shoes - can check out Born Standing Up. I hadn't seen or heard of Chris Elliott's books, but being a fan of his from the Letterman days on, I'll look for them.

I like it so far.

Me!

• Policemans heel
« Reply #944 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
Chris Elliott's books are insanely silly.  They are pretty much weird reworks of history with him being involved or past family members being involved somehow.  The ones I've read are "The Shroud of the Thwacker" which is a parody of Jack The Ripper.  He has a great funny role for Teddy Roosevelt and just a perfectly hilarious view on what the 1880s in New York was like.

Into Hot Air is about his climb to Mount Everest with the likes of Michael Moore and Tony Danza.  It's a hilarious book and like I said before, they're both silly and very absurd.  

OK, I can see Cruel Shoes - can check out Born Standing Up. I hadn't seen or heard of Chris Elliott's books, but being a fan of his from the Letterman days on, I'll look for them.

I like it so far.

Really?  I think this is one of the worst books ever written.  As @clarencethomas might say, Cross needs to ZIP IT!
I like all of Chris Elliott's books.  Born Standing up by Steve Martin is good too.