Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947481 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1065 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
I'm about halfway through When Engulfed in Flames. My feelings on it are mixed so far.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1066 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »
May I mention: I don't even own a book.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1067 on: October 21, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
I'm about halfway through When Engulfed in Flames. My feelings on it are mixed so far.

You and I might have reached similar conclusions but I'll wait till you're done to say.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Pastor Josh

« Reply #1068 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
I haven't read it, but I have the audiobook.  It seemed to mark a new maturity for Mr. Sedaris.
Who I don't have chocolate?

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1069 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
Since you asked, here's what I thought of 'Engulfed in Flames' - http://areyougenehackman.blogspot.com/2008/06/all-beauty-you-will-ever-need.html

I just got through this audiobook. Surprisingly serious, reflective and not insane.

"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1070 on: October 22, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
Since you asked, here's what I thought of 'Engulfed in Flames' - http://areyougenehackman.blogspot.com/2008/06/all-beauty-you-will-ever-need.html

I just got through this audiobook. Surprisingly serious, reflective and not insane.

His tweets are also pretty special.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

snogrog

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1071 on: October 22, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »

Does he read it or is it a more serious narrator? I'm hoping it's Patrick Stewart.
He's this soulless bastard from Siberia. I once saw him shove Fred Savage's face in a toilet.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #1072 on: October 22, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »
I've been re-reading all my Chris Ware stuff.  Got into the first Rusty Brown last night.  That dream scene in Jimmy Corrigan where he has to shoot his tiny horse make me sob every time.

whaleplane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1073 on: October 22, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
I haven't read it, but I have the audiobook.  It seemed to mark a new maturity for Mr. Sedaris.
I much prefer the audiobook versions of Sedaris' work. Especially when it's a live recording. He adds just enough for it to be rather rewarding.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1074 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
I've been re-reading all my Chris Ware stuff.  Got into the first Rusty Brown last night.  That dream scene in Jimmy Corrigan where he has to shoot his tiny horse make me sob every time.

The last issue of Acme, from late 2008 I believe -- the one with the sci-fi story as its first half -- was incredible.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #1075 on: October 23, 2009, 12:38:40 AM »

The last issue of Acme, from late 2008 I believe -- the one with the sci-fi story as its first half -- was incredible.

Agreed.  I love how Ware takes what seems like a diversion and makes it a central part of a large, decade-long story.  I'm a tennsy bit pissed that the next issue doesn't seem to be coming out any time soon.

Reeleyes

« Reply #1076 on: October 23, 2009, 01:58:14 AM »
I much prefer the audiobook versions of Sedaris' work. Especially when it's a live recording. He adds just enough for it to be rather rewarding.

I agree, Sedaris' work is storytelling so it seems so much more natural to listen to him read it. I feel the same way about Jonathan Ames.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1077 on: October 23, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
I picked up a copy of "Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception" after yesno mentioned it in the thread about "New Hope for the Ape Eared." 
Doing it Mentos style.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1078 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »
I picked up a copy of "Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception" after yesno mentioned it in the thread about "New Hope for the Ape Eared." 

And?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1079 on: October 23, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »
I just Google Books'd that for the quote, which I had read/heard elsewhere. So I hope it's  good.