Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947325 times)

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1080 on: October 23, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
I picked up a copy of "Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception" after yesno mentioned it in the thread about "New Hope for the Ape Eared." 

And?

I'm only on page 20, and it's still the introduction.  It's a little beyond my scope but the "vital lie" part comes from Ibsen so I can relate a little to that.

I just Google Books'd that for the quote, which I had read/heard elsewhere. So I hope it's  good.

Pretty good so far.  I'll let you know.

Doing it Mentos style.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1081 on: October 23, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
"Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior" is a pop science take on this same subject (I think).  Pretty dang interesting.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1082 on: October 24, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
"Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior" is a pop science take on this same subject (I think).  Pretty dang interesting.

I'll put it on my list.
Doing it Mentos style.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1083 on: October 24, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
Onto NOBODY MOVE by Denis Johnson. Fun little genre exercise.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

schep22

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1084 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »
Well, I finished reading Ficciones (Borges) last week.  It was one of those experiences where I can say that I enjoyed it, but I don't really know why, and I know that I didn't get everything out of it that I should have.

Part of the problem, I think, is that I read it in one hour lunchtime increments while people microwaved nasty leftovers around me.  I found that nearly every story had me completely confused at the beginning, but ultimately clicked in the end.  And (I'm embarrassed to admit this) checking the Wikipedia summaries after completing each story was invaluable.

I'm reading "And Here's the Kicker" by Mike Sacks now.  It's a book of interviews with top comedy writers on "their craft".  I'm enjoying it, and I was happy to see that the Scharpling & Wurster albums get a nod in the "Further Recommendations" section at the back.

Unrelated note:  Living in Cincinnati, I was happy that I got to wear my black (with orange) WFMU "bird" t-shirt to the Bengals/Bears game yesterday and look like I completely fit in.  Although, admittedly, I was afraid that the blob next to me was going to engage me in an unwanted discussion/inquisition about it.  Lucky for me, he instead chose to repeatedly try to sell me an open Bud Light that he didn't think he could finish.  Turns out, he could.  Quite easily.

p.s.  Not sure why I put "their craft" in quotes.  I guess I just have a hard time using the word "craft" when it's not in the same sentence as "yarn" or "glitter."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1085 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:28 AM »
Onto NOBODY MOVE by Denis Johnson. Fun little genre exercise.

I liked this book a lot.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1086 on: October 26, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
schep22, you do need to take your time with Borges -- one of his short stories is like a novel.  But his stuff is kinda mindblowing, so it's like you can't really wrap your head around it at first.  Even when you do get it it feels like you aren't.

As for me: more shitty plays for this project I'm working on.  But I just got Jonathan Lethem's Chronic City and I can not wait to read it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1087 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:38 PM »
Now reading SABBATH'S THEATER by Philip Roth. Like the other Roths that I've read from the same period, the prose is utterly mesmerizing. I'm not sure where the story is going yet, but I'm enjoying the writing so much that I kinda don't care.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1088 on: October 26, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »
I am working through Fan-of-the-Best-Show Nathan Rabin's book THE BIG REWIND.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1089 on: October 26, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »
I am reading a book full of Ramones interviews. Did you know the Ramones were straight-A students? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they lied about that, too.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1090 on: November 05, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »
I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-up Comedy's Golden Era

A fun book to read.  Mostly covers the 70s Improv/Comedy Store era, a time when Leno was an edgy young comic and Letterman was still doing standup himself.

Also, Richard Lewis' story is very interesting and entertaining, although I didn't buy the book thinking 'alright, the complete story of Richard Lewis, before Curb Your Enthusiasm'.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1091 on: November 05, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »

Of the five stories in this collection, three were very good, one was sort of tedious, and the last one was just silly.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1092 on: November 05, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »
Now reading SABBATH'S THEATER by Philip Roth. Like the other Roths that I've read from the same period, the prose is utterly mesmerizing. I'm not sure where the story is going yet, but I'm enjoying the writing so much that I kinda don't care.

That is one of his few novels I've still never gotten around to. I kind of overdosed on his stuff about ten years ago and haven't loved some of his more recent work, but the mid-career stuff is his best, I think, so I really ought to go back and check that one off my list. Of all his books I think 'American Pastoral' and 'The Counterlife' are my favorites. And 'Portnoy's Complaint', of course. It's as endlessly funny to me as the first Pee Wee movie.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1093 on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »
I skimmed thru Portnoy's Complaint when I was supposed to be studying for a math test once.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1094 on: November 05, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »
Almost through with The Great Gatsby.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.