Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947287 times)

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1125 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
  I'm pretty certain it's helping me understand why I can only absorb the first five minutes of "Democracy Now!"

Too much truth, JN?

According to this book, yes.
Doing it Mentos style.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1126 on: November 24, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »
Celine's Journey Into the End of the Night. IT'S GREAT!

A Mike Show book club pick if there ever was one. (Also the Hamsun, right?)
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1127 on: December 19, 2009, 11:12:47 AM »
I just started Lorrie Moore's A Gate At The Stairs and it's fantastic.  And surprisingly hilarious, in a quiet sort of way.  I highly recommend it for people who like Saunders or Shteyngart.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1128 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »
Pale Fire. 

85 pages in. 

Absolutely blowing my mind.  I have no idea why I waited so long to read this. 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1129 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
Speaking of Pale Fire, I got a gift certificate to my local bookstore for Santa Day, and I'm inclined to spend it on some Nabokov - I finally read Lolita this year and loved it, and I want to dig deeper.  Problem is, I'm nervous to just pick one at random. From the way I've heard people discuss his body of work, I get the impression that he's written a few real stinkers along with his classics.

So what's the consensus on where to go with Nabokov after Lolita? Anything I should make a beeline for? Anything I should avoid like the plague? I see there's some love for Pale Fire here - anything else by him that might knock my socks off?
I'm warning you with peace and love.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1130 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:20 AM »
Speak, Memory and Pnin are good post-Lolita reads.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1131 on: December 28, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
Lady Into Fox. It's a 1922 book about a lady who turns into a fox. The four-legged kind. It's not the template for the teensploitation 'girl with glasses takes off glasses and is suddenly hot' genre.

Pat K

« Reply #1132 on: December 28, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
Lady Into Fox. It's a 1922 book about a lady who turns into a fox. The four-legged kind. It's not the template for the teensploitation 'girl with glasses takes off glasses and is suddenly hot' genre.

Considering the plot, that title fucking rules.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1133 on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord. I put off reading this for years, and could continue no longer. Glad I finally picked it up -- it's a book I'll probably look back on as having helped me make sense of this world.

put_it_away

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1134 on: December 29, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »
Pale Fire.  

85 pages in.  

Absolutely blowing my mind.  I have no idea why I waited so long to read this.  

Pale Fire has been on my shelf for years and never been opened. I think you're saying I should pick it up immediately, which I will as soon as I'm done with Philip Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1135 on: December 29, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »
I just finished Jon Ronson's THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS. It was okay - some interesting revelations. Interested to see the film, even though nobody seemed to like it.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1136 on: December 31, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »
I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro over the course of a day on airplanes. He underplays the twists beautifully. Good luck getting that in the movie version.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1137 on: December 31, 2009, 09:46:11 AM »
My wife got me a book that's 'the best of WFMU's LCD (Lowest Common Denominator)'. I didn't know such a thing existed. Tom Scharpling interviews Neil Hamburger within, also there are some good bits about the history of WFMU and free-form radio in general, and comix, lots and lots of comix.

Pat K

« Reply #1138 on: December 31, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
My wife got me a book that's 'the best of WFMU's LCD (Lowest Common Denominator)'. I didn't know such a thing existed. Tom Scharpling interviews Neil Hamburger within, also there are some good bits about the history of WFMU and free-form radio in general, and comix, lots and lots of comix.

Yeah, that is a really, really good book.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1139 on: December 31, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
Ditto on the LCD book, it's great.  

I finished Jim DeRogatis' Turn on Your Mind:  Four Decades of Great Psychedelic Rock and it was OK, though his definition of the word "psychedelic" seems somewhat, shall we say, fungible.  As MOS said on Facebook, it should really be called "Justifying My Record Collection."  He blathers on about PM Dawn but largely ignores the Wu-Tang Clan, arguably the most psychedelic hip-hop group ever, at least if we use DeRogatis' definition of it (in a nutshell: using the studio to create an alternate reality in the mind of the listener).  And I love Wire and The Feelies, but it's a stretch to say they're more psychedelic than the Grateful Dead.  Still and all, there's some great stuff in it, especially the parts about The Beach Boys, Love, The 13th Floor Elevators, Lenny Kaye, and Eno.

Currently reading Carl Wilson's 33 1/3 book on Celine Dion.  A pretty amazing piece of criticism and philosophy, and actually making me kind of like her.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.