Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947288 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1140 on: January 07, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »
Has anyone else discovered podiobooks? If so, has anyone discovered any good ones?
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1141 on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:45 AM »
Jerome K Jerome via Librivox. Librivox overall is great. Not a podcast thing.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1142 on: January 08, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
Ecology Of Fear - Mike Davis
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Pat K

« Reply #1143 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
I finished My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl last night. I wasn't expecting Great Literature, but it wasn't really that hot. I love his short stories for adults, but this was just okay. It was good for passing time during a week's worth of lunchbreaks, but not all that fun in the end.

Think I'm finally gonna hit Blood Meridian next. That's a fun lunchtime read, right?
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1144 on: January 08, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »
Just started Roland Barthes' Image Music Text.  Hilarious!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Keith Whitener

« Reply #1145 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »

Semiotics!

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1146 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:04 PM »
Just finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. The guy is insanely gifted and the novel is a virtuoso technical performance. I guess I admired it more than loved it, for the fact that one guy was capable of writing in so many different styles and voices.

Before that, Netherland by Joseph O'Niell. I think all the hype piled on this one was right on the money. Easily the best new novel I've read in five years, maybe ten. The way he captures the intensity of the modern city reminded me of Bellow in Augie March and Seize The Day.

Sarah

« Reply #1147 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »

Don't you think he's a sweetie pie?  I edited a book of his once and thought he was just darling.  And, no, I am not being facetious.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1148 on: January 09, 2010, 10:34:42 AM »

Currently reading Carl Wilson's 33 1/3 book on Celine Dion.  A pretty amazing piece of criticism and philosophy, and actually making me kind of like her.

This book is wonderful. I was agnostic about Wilson (who's pretty ubiquitous in Canadian pop music criticism) and obviously not a fan of Celine Dion. But he really does some interesting stuff in this book.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1149 on: January 09, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »

Currently reading Carl Wilson's 33 1/3 book on Celine Dion.  A pretty amazing piece of criticism and philosophy, and actually making me kind of like her.

This book is wonderful. I was agnostic about Wilson (who's pretty ubiquitous in Canadian pop music criticism) and obviously not a fan of Celine Dion. But he really does some interesting stuff in this book.

Bryan, I heard an interview with this guy and I felt the same way for a while... then I listened to her music.

I am quite open-minded.  But, not THAT open-minded.  I love music too much.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1150 on: January 09, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
Just started Roland Barthes' Image Music Text.  Hilarious!

Don't you think he's a sweetie pie?  I edited a book of his once and thought he was just darling.  And, no, I am not being facetious.

Seriously?  That's pretty great.  

I'm struggling with this one more than I did with Mythologies last fall, but that could have something to do with the fact that I've let my brain turn to mush over the holidays by watching dumb movies and reading nothing but comics and rock & roll books.  But I also think that Mythologies is more of a basic primer for a general readership.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1151 on: January 09, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
Laurence Sterne: A Sentimental Journey

Sterne is a tricky read. I'm never sure what he's up to.

I stayed up until 4 in the morning a couple weeks ago reading "The Deal of the Century: The Breakup of AT&T" by Steve Coll, because I'm cool.

Andy Harwoos

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1152 on: January 09, 2010, 11:46:29 AM »
been reading "...supposedly fun..." by david foster wallace and I'm shocked by how funny and easy to read it is - it's just like a bunch of Douglas Adams essays.

Also reading 'hylozoic' by rudy rucker which is like douglas adams on some kind of stimulant.
<a href = "http://andyharwood.tumblr.com/">yeprs</a>

Sarah

« Reply #1153 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:24 AM »
Seriously?  That's pretty great.  

Don't be too impressed.  I was dealing with translators; the man himself was quite dead.  I just thought he came off as a dear.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1154 on: January 09, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »
been reading "...supposedly fun..." by david foster wallace and I'm shocked by how funny and easy to read it is - it's just like a bunch of Douglas Adams essays.

Also reading 'hylozoic' by rudy rucker which is like douglas adams on some kind of stimulant.

Rudy Rucker is one of my favorites. Try The Hacker and the Ant (could be The Ant and the Hacker, it's been a while.)