Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947228 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1185 on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
Just bought a copy of the Codex Seraphinianus from Abebooks for only $100.  It's been out of print and going for $600 and up for some years.  Since I've talked about it on this board a few times, thought I'd follow through.

I've been making my way through Paul Starr's The Creation of the Media--one of those essential books that are a bit fact heavy but still entertaining.  For a more lighthearted romp through communications history, I can recommend Steve Coll's The Deal of the Century:  The Breakup of AT&T.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1186 on: February 19, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Just bought a copy of the Codex Seraphinianus from Abebooks for only $100.  It's been out of print and going for $600 and up for some years.  Since I've talked about it on this board a few times, thought I'd follow through.

I've been making my way through Paul Starr's The Creation of the Media--one of those essential books that are a bit fact heavy but still entertaining.  For a more lighthearted romp through communications history, I can recommend Steve Coll's The Deal of the Century:  The Breakup of AT&T.

$100 is a great price for C.S., it is hard to come by.

alex from brooklyn

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1187 on: February 19, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
very excited for Sam Lipsyte's THE ASK. Loved HOMELAND.

http://quarterlyconversation.com/the-ask-by-sam-lipsyte

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1188 on: February 19, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »

Looks good!  I'm looking forward to David Mitchell's new novel in June.

Me too. I love this guy.

PS I will get you a galley if you want ...
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1189 on: February 20, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
very excited for Sam Lipsyte's THE ASK. Loved HOMELAND.

http://quarterlyconversation.com/the-ask-by-sam-lipsyte

I'm looking forward to that also. I got excited when Amazon recommended it to me (90% of the time it's recommending things I already have or have read), but noticed the book isn't coming out until early March.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1190 on: February 20, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

Looks good!  I'm looking forward to David Mitchell's new novel in June.

Me too. I love this guy.

PS I will get you a galley if you want ...

I cannot wait to read this book.  Cloud Atlas is, easily, one of the most engrossing books I've ever read. 

RIGHT NOW I'm reading the worst rock biography ever--Watch You Bleed, the Story of Guns and Roses. 

It is the worst.  A boring band + boring writing = boring book. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1191 on: February 20, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
You should probably stop reading that book. I used to finish all books I started no matter how bad they were, but eventually moved beyond that.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1192 on: February 20, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »
Just finishing DFW's Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.  Up next is The New Organic Grower by Eliot Coleman

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Kim Kelly

« Reply #1193 on: February 20, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
I'm reading Let the Right One In for my book club. We meet tomorrow, and I'm less than a hundred pages into it. I should probably start reading right now.
Too soon?

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1194 on: February 21, 2010, 02:56:38 AM »
I'm reading Let the Right One In for my book club. We meet tomorrow, and I'm less than a hundred pages into it. I should probably start reading right now.

How you have time to be in a book club in grad school makes me know that you're an amazing library scientist. I saw the movie. I didn't finish it but someone told me the ending.
Doing it Mentos style.

wood and iron

« Reply #1195 on: February 21, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »

I want to read that book because the movie was so awesome. How's the book been so far?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1196 on: February 21, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
I'm currently reading Steve Almond's Candyfreak. It's delightful. Before that, I read Julie Klausner's book, which was also hilarious. Her appearances on the Best Show and SSD were great, too. I hope she becomes a huge star behind this.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1197 on: February 21, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
I'm currently reading Steve Almond's Candyfreak.

I loved that book! He's truly a funny guy. I'm not really that much into candy, but I found one of those local gooey things he talks about at Whole Foods and tried it. It was pretty terrific. A Val-something bar? I just checked my copy and there's no index. THERE SHOULD ALWAYS BE AN INDEX.

I can't wait to pick up The Klaus' book on Tues.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1198 on: February 21, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »
I'm currently reading Steve Almond's Candyfreak.

I loved that book! He's truly a funny guy. I'm not really that much into candy, but I found one of those local gooey things he talks about at Whole Foods and tried it. It was pretty terrific. A Val-something bar? I just checked my copy and there's no index. THERE SHOULD ALWAYS BE AN INDEX.

Valomilk. I just read that part last night.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I try not to eat too much candy, but I found a couple of the Five Star bars that he discusses and they were mindblowingly good. The fact that Whole Foods charges $2.69 for something that's only slightly larger than one of those small candy bars people hand out at Halloween (I know there's a name for that size, but I can't bring it to mind) is good because it means I won't gorge myself on them.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1199 on: February 21, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
Oh, I"ve had the 5-Star bars too ... I also like the fact that they're small. When I feel like a piece of candy, getting a really well made little thang is pretty nice. And you don't feel you've gorged either, you know?

It's all so very continental or some shit.