Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947154 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #1215 on: March 10, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
Yeah, I think the New Yorker's nonfiction, non-investigative pieces tend to favor formula.

I did stick with it and I'm glad I did -- there was a payoff.  It did manage to illuminate a lot of 20th century American history, and the way ideas filter down from intellectual circles into general use and conventional wisdom.

Now reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx & Crake.  Good so far.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1216 on: March 10, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
What are boosks.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1217 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:02 AM »
Anyone here reading Conquest of the Useless by Herzog? I'm about halfway through, and I think its pretty awesome. It's kind of like WG Sebald or Kapuscinski. But I'm religious about everything Werner Herzog. Despite my bias, I think he is a literary genius. I'll have to post some quotes.

I really really want to read some David Mitchell. I would love to read the Cope book, although the reviews of it on Amazon aren't very good. I never got to read Krautrock sampler either. I love me some Cope!

Too bad I didn't try to get into the Rogue Film School. At the end of the weekend you get a signed copy of Conquest of the Useless.

Yeah, I read it and enjoyed it.  There is a line somewhere in the book, and I'm paraphrasing, "I felt so alone, I buried the book at the edge of the jungle with a borrowed spade," that just epitomizes the whole Herzog scene, both good and bad.

Have you read Of Walking on Ice?

sorry for late response. haven't read it yet, but i bought it when I bought Conquest. right now I'm reading Aron Ralston's book. Between a rock and a hard place!!! He's my hero. I wish Herzog would make a documentary about him. [and stop making these crappy hollywood-funded b-movies...eh!!!!!]
I can hear you judging me.

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1218 on: March 11, 2010, 11:58:38 PM »
I finished Calvino's Cosmicomics earlier today, which was great, and I'm working on Iain Banks' Canal Dreams, which is not so hot so far, although admittedly I'm only about 30 pages or so in. His regular fiction doesn't really do much for me, so I'm thinking I may need to stick with the Culture books for him from here on out.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1219 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
I will probably never read either, but I just bought unabridged copies of War and Peace, and Les Miserables. I will let you know how it doesn't turn out.

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1220 on: March 13, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »
Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I'm a couple chapters into "The Golden Compass".
"Dad gets mad."

wood and iron

« Reply #1221 on: March 13, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
I will probably never read either, but I just bought unabridged copies of War and Peace, and Les Miserables. I will let you know how it doesn't turn out.

I have an abridged version of Les Miserables and it's always eyeing me from my shelf daring me to read it. Two things keep me back: it's abridged and I feel like if I'm going to read it, might as well go whole-hog; it's also a movie tie-in version so it has Liam Neeson sneekily peering at Geoffrey Rush and I hate movie tie-in covers of any books (I know this is a shallow thing but aesthetics are important).

Anyone recommend it?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1222 on: March 13, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »
My pastor.

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1223 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »
i'm listening to don delillo's "falling man," but on audiobook it's kinda hard to follow.  i think i need to actually pick it up and, ya know, physically read it.  :'(

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1224 on: March 18, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
I'm really enjoying Reporting at Wit's End by St. Clair McKelway. It's very reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite's, Up in the Old Hotel, by Joseph Mitchell. Both were writers for The New Yorker from the 30s to 60s. Good stuff!
See God, Kai

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1225 on: March 19, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Oryx & Crake was awesome.  Now I'm about 50 pages into Bolaño's 2666, digging it so far.  Therese just started it too, evidently, and Wes is pretending to read it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1226 on: March 19, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
'The Ask' by Sam Lipsyte. At least the equal of and possibly superior to 'Home Land'.  Actually, screw this, I want to go finish reading it now.

Kiwi_Herman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1227 on: March 21, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »
I just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante.

I'm now reading 'A Confederacy of Dunces'

Pidgeon

« Reply #1228 on: March 21, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
A book of Roald Dahl's short stories. I still have nothing but fond memories of reading his kids books in the third grade.

wood and iron

« Reply #1229 on: March 21, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
A Confederacy of Dunces was really good even if I felt it repeated itself too much.

However, I wonder if the story behind the book makes it more prominent than the book solely on its own merits would have.